Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok, an odd one maybe, but - wall or aisle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, an odd one maybe, but - wall or aisle?

Hi - I've been asked to indicate preference of wall or aisle for my stall at a fair and I thought I'd ask you to dig deep in your experience and tell me honestly if you think it makes a difference.

My current preference is for a wall position but I'm new to the fairs so would love to hear your views.

I had no idea I had so many craft fair questions - and I'm now guessing I have tons more lol. THANK YOU!
    www.artistsandillustrators.co.uk/FionaHumphrey (portfolio page)

Hm, depends on what you sell and how you display it! Wall position is useful for additional hanging space
    Cathy xx
    http://folksy.com/shops/Cathy
    http://www.recycledbaglady.co.uk/
    http://owlfamilydiary.blogspot.com/
    I don't have a short attention span, I ... Ooh look, there's a chicken!

Comment

Hi. Thanks for your reply.

I'm a printmaker - I was wondering about hanging things on the wall - presumably I would need something to act as a buffer though - am just guessing that venues would have some pretty strict rules about what you can and can't do to the walls.
      www.artistsandillustrators.co.uk/FionaHumphrey (portfolio page)

Comment

I'm not sure about most people but I tend to walk round the outside first then the aisles when I go as a potential customer. (which means I pass the wall stands at least twice and may make a diversion from the outer stalls of the aisles to take a second look at a wall stand)
        ElaineJ soap and other stuff
        website
        blog

Comment

I would have preference for a wall behind me - often somewhere to support boards etc. It depends on the hall obviously, but sometimes I have been lucky with a windsill behind me or something similar, which gives an added area to display on. I have a noticeboard which I can stand on a chair behind the stall if there is a wall behind me, but I would not be able to do that if someone else was back to back with me on another stall. If you are back to back with another stall holder the potential for displaying items can be restricted.
          Cynthia
          http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

I agree that I would prefer to be along the wall as oppose to in the middle. I also tend to walk around the edges and find it's sometimes easy to miss stalls in the middle. In the past I've been told that most people tend to turn to theit left when they first walk in to a room - not sure if that helps in terms of where you sit but it's always stuck in my mind!
            Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Katianne View Post
              I agree that I would prefer to be along the wall as oppose to in the middle. I also tend to walk around the edges and find it's sometimes easy to miss stalls in the middle. In the past I've been told that most people tend to turn to theit left when they first walk in to a room - not sure if that helps in terms of where you sit but it's always stuck in my mind!
              The rule is if I am to the right of the door they turn to the left, but if I am to the left of the door they turn to the right!!!!
              Cynthia
              http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

I turn left - unless there's a crowd in front of me (in which case I go right but not up the middle)
                website
                blog

Comment

I thought I was pretty lucky to have the tables straight as you come in the door, my face was the first thing they saw, hehe. Also lucky that some people liked what I'd made and came back for another look after they'd gone around to see the others...you know those words 'I'll be back later', sends shivers down my spine, brrrrrr!! Luckily the other 2 crafters behind me had high display units so I felt 'cosy' iykwim? So maybe for me I would have been more comfy against a wall. Yes, I would say I go to the left as I go into a big room too, isn't that funny.
                  Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

Hi inky!

I would say wall as you can make far more visual impact with a back drop.

But it's also fair to say that some (probably most!) venues won't take too kindly to sticky bits being left on their walls, so do it in a non-damaging way!

Cheers.
                    Fair Do

Fair Do's!

Comment

Yes, I would say I go to the left as I go into a big room too, isn't that funny.
                      In turning left as you enter a room you then go clockwise (sunwise/deosil) round the room - could be a folk memory from the ancient religions (in the northern hemi-sphere) where to go round against the sun (widdershins) was considered unlucky/unpropitious and reserved for certain ceremonies only.
                      website
                      blog

Comment

Wow ElaineJ ...heavy!

All I will add is that the supermarkets have got it well sussed!!

Fair Do

Fair Do's!

Comment

Wall, definitely, every time.

Jane
                          www.just-soaps.com
                          Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                          FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                          Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I'd go for a wall every time, if given a choice. Not just for potential extra display space but I've found that not everybody is neat and tidy behind their stalls and if you're backing with someone else, the floor space can get quite crammed!
                            Jane

If beads were still currency, I'd be a millionaire!

http://www.wildheartcrafts.co.uk/

Comment

based on my behaviour as a visitor to exhibitions, I tend to do the outside edges first, and indeed, usually off to the left once in the door..!

As others have mentioned, if you have large items to display, being "back to back" with other stands is not always best.. though you have to be careful not to damage the wall etc if you use it for extra display space.. however with prints you can take a few lengths of timber to "lean" against the wall , put a panel pin or two in to hang your pictures off ...

Comment

Working...
                              X