Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To new car or not to new car

Hey all,

I thought I would put a little post on here as my partner is out and need someone to talk about a possible new car with - any replies would be great.

I went to a car place today and saw my dream car, 206 CC in green, Eew a lot of you may think but i love it! and it is at a good price - £3650. They can part exchange my car (Toyota Yaris) for £1,500 so i will only need to pay approx £2000. However I have a few concerns. The car has done the best part of 96000 miles! and the man said when the roof goes back into the boot the lid is suppose to close however it is broken. He is having a look at it in the morning to see if he can fix it. I dont see this as a magor issue as a lot of cars you have to put the roof and lid down yourself.

The car comes with a full service history, 4 prev owners, looks well looked after, full years MOT, 55 point check before i'd get it and any repairs that it may need. and as it has not road tax he said he could know a bit off the car. One last plus is that it is local so if anything was to happen its not like i have to travel too far. Here is a link: (sorry if im not suppose to add this!

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...cleRegLetter=Y

Please let me know what you think? Is it a good buy? how good are 206cc when they reach the big 100,000?! Iv only ever had my little yaris before and never had any major problems!

Thanks
    H Bee
    Handmade Jewellery
    Follow me on Twitter
    www.
    elizakate.co.uk
    Etsy Shop!

I would have stuck with the Yaris, don't let your heart rule your head were cars are concerned, this one seems to have to many problems and a high mileage. Mind you this is coming from someone who has had the same car for the last 7 years, we tend to buy about 1 year old and keep and only change when it starts to get too expensive on the upkeep.

Comment

Make sure you are very clear about what they are checking for and what come back you have if there are any problems.
      I speak as a person who bought a car (admittedly 8 years old) in January. 2 weeks ago it packed up in a huge way and the repair bill was nearly as much as the car. The dealer had said we could go back to him if we had any problems within a month, so naturally it waited till we'd had it 10 weeks!
      I really have nothing helpful to say except go with your instincts - if you're not sure don't buy it!
      And I hope you have better luck than me!
      www.jennynevedesigns.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9043479?ref=mf

Comment

Thanks for your comments.

I really want it so much but part of me has little doubts that i should hang on as it is high mileage and cant really afford it if all goes wrong!!!

Maybe ill give this one a miss and keep my eyes peeled for others!
        Handmade Jewellery
        Follow me on Twitter
        www.
        elizakate.co.uk
        Etsy Shop!

Comment

keep looking for a lower milage. Be careful, i have now and have had several convertables and if the roof isnt right - its a nightmare to fix
          www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
          http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Comment

Thanks Gbell. The man said he may be able to fix it but i may just leave this one. Its one of those things where you really want it so just do it but know you shouldnt n then a few weeks later when it all goes wrong you regret it big time!!!!
            Handmade Jewellery
            Follow me on Twitter
            www.
            elizakate.co.uk
            Etsy Shop!

Comment

im sure your perfect car is just waiting for you somewhere.
              www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk

Comment

i hope so!!!!!!!!
                Handmade Jewellery
                Follow me on Twitter
                www.
                elizakate.co.uk
                Etsy Shop!

Comment

Sorry to add to the doubters but my brother in-law worked as a sales manager for a major dealership and always said he wouldn't ever touch a convertible with roof problems, he reckons they're a nightmare.

Caroline
                  silver jewellery at The Silver Jewellery Workshop
                  bespoke handmade jewellery
                  Silver Jewellery blog
                  Handmade Jewellery Blog

Comment

Weve been looking at changing our 120000 + miles toyota est., it works very hard and I tend to think its failing a bit.
                    The advise Ive been given by the "trade" is wait, this year is going to produce some mega bargains, as an example one of my mates has a pre reg fiat at his garage with 15 miles on the clock for sale at £5800 the list price is £12000!! and he still cant sell it.
                    With the price of new comeing down like that the price of second hand must follow. Particularly the rep type cars, Im told that if we want a med size estate that anybody in the trade can pull up a list of thousands that are already way below their book price and falling, and even the smaller cars are starting to go the same way. The down side is that if your car is worth anything, that value is going down as well.
                    Trouble is I reeeealy want to buy a motorhome, and decent ones are going up in price, because everybodies looking at holidaying in britain instead of going abroad, sometimes you just cant win

Comment

its good to get a cheap price for a car as long as you are only buying and not having to sell too!
                      www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk

Comment

I have come in very late of this post. I'm sure you have come to a decision. I think you would be able to find a better 206 in a far better condition. But I will stick up for the 206, with it's high milage, but the 206 can go on and on. My dad had 3 estates over has working life and they each one of them went twice round the clock. We have had 2, 306 that have been 1 and a half times round the clock, so they do go on and on. My dad who is no longer with us would never have a bad word said about this make of car. So I thought I would have to give them big up on his behalf .

Comment

Larger engines can take a higher mileage - I bought a Scorpio Estate at 96,000 miles and put another 70,000 on it (all my cars have gone to 150,000+).

Currently have an 11 yearold Cherokee which I bought 3 years ago.

(having said that OH is a mechanic and vets all vehicles before I buy)

This car may be fine - but then it may not.
                          ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                          website
                          blog

Comment

My first comment would be that the 206cc is notorious for roof problems (only beaten by the Citroen C3 Pluriel.. so named because it rains inside!).. The "tin top" roof requires a fair bit of engineering to make it work, and while I might trust BMW or Merc to get it right, Peugeot is another matter..

from www.whatcar.co.uk:

The 206 CC suffers the same faults as the rest of the 206 family. The central locking mechanism can fail, and you should check the front footwell carpet to see if it’s damp. If so, you probably have a problem with water getting into the ventilation system.

Automatic 206 CCs have their fair share of problems, with both the ’boxes themselves and the electronics which control them failing. Some owners complain of a noisy exhaust, so you should always check the condition and life expectancy of a car’s system.

That folding roof also has bit of a reputation of unreliability; water leaks are the biggest complaint. So, make sure the roof works correctly before you buy a car, as repairs can be scarily expensive.

There were a fair number of recalls on the 206. So, check the logbook or contact your local dealer to check that they have been carried out.

Also the 206cc is relatively small engined - peugeot fare far better with their big diesel engined cars.. I would bet that most of the folk who rate the brand drive the diesels.. A small petrol engine is going to be potentially far less durable, and I wouldn't trade a reliable car for a 206 with 100k on the clock!

My next worry would be the 4 previous owners!! far too many.. why did they all sell so quickly?? The 206 is a bit of a girly fun car, so I could see lots of them being bought for/by lasses who zip here and there, but don't necessarily clock the miles up.. so the high milage is a concern unless the car is 10 years old or thereabouts.. and if it is, why is it so expensive??

There's too many concerns about this car for me, just from the little you have told us..

Comment

For what it's worth I think the value of cars is plummetting and I am sure you will be able to get one that is a far better buy /lower mileage etc if you don't have to sell I would be reluctant to 'upgrade' to a car with already known faults. It may well be the previous owner off loaded it before anything more went wrong......
                              Don't let your dream car become an expensive nightmare, you seem hesitant and that intuition may be for good reason.
                              All the best with whatever you decide
                              Terry xxx
                              You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
                              Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

Working...
                              X