Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Knit Gansey

Hi Everyone

I have never knit a gansey before and would welcome any advice before attempting one.

I am hoping to make a Scarborough gansey and a Bridlington gansey.

If anyone has made one before please let me know if you have come accross any problems.

Thanks

Bev
    http://daisyhandknits.weebly.com

Heck - years since I knitted one for Child (about 25 years ago). I had the book by the ?Whitby? based man (still have it somewhere).

I used 4 long double pointed needles and a homemade version of a Shetland knitting belt with the traditional 4ply gansey wool.
    ElaineJ soap and other stuff
    website
    blog

Comment

Sorry to show my ignorance, I have been knitting for 34 years (or thereabouts) and I have never heard of a gansey! what is it???
      Diane
      Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Fisherman's jersey - generally knitted in the round as far as the yoke which then has a pattern of wrong/right side st.stitch. Traditionally the sleeves would be worked downwards from the yoke (with an underarm gusset) - so that they could be unpicked past worn areas and reknitted.

Oiled wool (commonly navy) and not as thick as Arran - can be as fine as 4ply.
        ElaineJ soap and other stuff
        website
        blog

Comment

aah now I see what you mean. Never knew what it was called though!!! Thanks for that Elaine
          Diane
          Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Lol my Dad calls any jumper/hoody i have on a gansy Hes a Geordie....Though im not sure thats why he always says it.
            Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

Working...
            X