This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grr - some people!!!!!

Well I don't know how I kept my cool but I did!

What am I talking about???

you all must remember the saga of my daughter and her little bags of hugs and kisses and the woman who quizzed her about them when I was out of the way.

Well an update for you...

We went as visitors to see friends at a small craft fair yesterday and THAT woman was there.

Whilst speaking to my friends this woman came over to my daughter and again started to quiz her, asking things like, have you got a stall here today, have you got your little bags with you, why don't you carry one about with you, where are you going to have them next... she literally went on and on, she then turned to me, interrupting my conversation and asked where I was going to be next, I pleaded ignorance and said that without my diary I couldn't say as I never remember dates etc!!!

I made a point of looking on this woman's stall and no she didn't have copies of Tayla's bags. I think that she can't remember how she makes them and wants to see them again.

Because of this I have had to take them off ebay and have removed the picture from Misi and flickr thus limiting the amount of pocket money my daughter will make!

I AM SO ANNOYED, the sheer front of this woman is really winding me up. I did however, take Greannan's advice and did not show myself up and did not question this woman but I AM FUMING!!!

Sorry all, rant now over!!!
    Diane
    Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Dunno how you managed to keep your cool. If it were me I would be non too complimentary. I still can't believe that somebody would stoop so low as to steal a child's ideas.

She will get her come uppance though.
    Ruby xx

Website - Cosy Candles & Aromas
    Blog - Ruby's Crafty Diary
    Facebook Page

Comment

Sorry you have had to take them off ebay etc. why don't you put them on but put in the text and a label on the bags stating this an original idea and handmade by ...... also post one to yourself RD but do not open, this will give a post mark date etc, which if this woman did copy in the future you would have proof of ownership. Your daughter can then still supplement her pocket money she may be able to do a small drawing to go on the labels.

Comment

Shame about your daughter's pocket money source - but the above suggestion would work (if you spotted hser copying them).

OTOH perhaps it was a clumsy way of encouraging your daughter.
        ElaineJ soap and other stuff
        website
        blog

Comment

At the risk of making you even more angry do you possible think there's an outside chance that she's just maybe showing an interest by asking your daughter the in's and out's of her craft? I'm going out now so if you want to duff me up you can't, so there!
          Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

I would like to think it was just innocent interest, however, the first time she asked my daughter was after she had given them a thorough going over (in my presence) and then waited for me to be out of the way before asking.

She was asking all sorts like, what font do you use on the labels, how do you get the print to go round in circles, where do you buy the bags, where do you get the stones, where do you get the card, what is it called etc.

This second time, she was asking where we sell them, what websites etc.

It is just too thorough to be interest, also people who heard her have come to the same conclusion.

It has also been noted (by other people) that other items on her stall have been seen on other crafter's stalls in previous months, eg, a little stitched heart with a button in the centre, and other distinguishing features has suddenly turned up on her stall, when the crafter who makes them has never sold her any!!!, gift bags that others have made are now in a similar form on her stall, need I go on?????????
            Diane

Comment

I sympathise with your anger!! however, why take them off websites?? if the cost of this woman not copying them is to deprive your daughter of her interest and hobby, and ultimately pocket money, what's the point?? sure, the "other woman" cant copy them.. but then that's because nobody can have one!

As for the "solution" given above, it is a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut.. (and I dont see the purpose!) even if you can "prove" your daughter's been selling these items for some time, what are you going to do? sue the woman for copying?? take her to court?? - I suspect not..

Personally, I would let your daughter continue enjoying making and selling (and ultimately learning about business in a way far more practical than anything she will learn in a year of school!) her items, have a large G&T yourself, and de stress..!!

Oh and being pro active for a change rather than reactive, make a note of the items the woman sells on her stall, and see where you can gather evidence of blatant copying or buying in.. then report your sustainable suspicions to the original makers, and the craft fair organisers.. or failing that, be a total harridan fishwife, and ask loud and blunt questions whenever her stall is busy (i.e. Oh, where did you buy those items, they are identical to the ones that lady has been selling for 2 years..).. etc..

I cant see many organisers being happy to allow the woman to persist if there is reasonable evidence that she is stealing ideas, or buying in stock...

Comment

You might not want to hear this but in your desperate attempt to stop her copying your daughter you've already let her win Yes by removing them from ebay etc you might stop her copying but where has that left you?

I'd do what others here have suggested and market these as 'the original' or 'handmade with love by Tayla' and push this fact. If the lady is keen enough to copy she will anyway (even if it's not an exact copy til she sees it again) and who's to say someone else who say/bought them won't copy either - that's always the risk with any product. Rather than hide them away, display and sell them with pride and emphasize the love and originality thats gone into them. Also, keep evolving by creating slight variations to the originals.
                Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Originally posted by sparkysdad View Post
                  I sympathise with your anger!! however, why take them off websites?? if the cost of this woman not copying them is to deprive your daughter of her interest and hobby, and ultimately pocket money, what's the point?? sure, the "other woman" cant copy them.. but then that's because nobody can have one!

As for the "solution" given above, it is a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut.. (and I dont see the purpose!) even if you can "prove" your daughter's been selling these items for some time, what are you going to do? sue the woman for copying?? take her to court?? - I suspect not..

Personally, I would let your daughter continue enjoying making and selling (and ultimately learning about business in a way far more practical than anything she will learn in a year of school!) her items, have a large G&T yourself, and de stress..!!

Oh and being pro active for a change rather than reactive, make a note of the items the woman sells on her stall, and see where you can gather evidence of blatant copying or buying in.. then report your sustainable suspicions to the original makers, and the craft fair organisers.. or failing that, be a total harridan fishwife, and ask loud and blunt questions whenever her stall is busy (i.e. Oh, where did you buy those items, they are identical to the ones that lady has been selling for 2 years..).. etc..

I cant see many organisers being happy to allow the woman to persist if there is reasonable evidence that she is stealing ideas, or buying in stock...

Thanks for that, as I am an organiser aswell as a crafter, I'm not going to do the fishwife bit (as much as I would love to) as I have a reputation with local "true" crafters to maintain. However, as she came to my last fair and is desperate to get in to another one, I have the upper hand! the only fairs she will get into around here are the table top ones that she wants to get away from!

I take your point about my daughter being able to sell her crafts. I have taken then off ebay but have just removed the picture from misi, the listing is still there. However, I will give it a week and re-add the picture, the chances of her finding my site on Misi is fairly remote anyway but I did it in anger as I had to vent somewhere!!!!! but rest assured she will get her just desserts at some point!!!!
                  Diane

Comment

well i agree, keep them on ebay and misi but make the point of putting original idea by tayla etc

could you saw a little label on them saying tayla original or something like that?

if it were me to be honest id just say to her very loudly - stop pumping my child to steal her ideas!!
                    www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
                    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Comment

Thanks for all the excellent advice!

I have just shown all the responses to Tayla and she has just drawn a logo, her trademark, which we are going to add to every bag. I have one on all my mosaics which shows it is mine, so why I didnt think of it, I don't know!!!!!

Gail, I think if she sees Tayla again and starts pumping her, I wont be loud and "fishwifey" but I will have a "quiet" word with her!

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUT, I LOVE THIS FORUM, IT REALLY HELPS WITH ALL SITUATIONS AND QUESTIONS
                      Diane

Comment

Dear Moonbeam,
                        you have my full empathic support for you lioness urge to defend her cubs.

I emailed you about the top secret thing before I read this thread and I now want to say a 100 things more but as there is a 1% chance this lady is an innocent with a heart of gold I'd better keep my mouth shut.

Hmm what can I say?
                        Thinks.......hmmmmmm..........I know how to put it......
                        If Tayla wants to expand her gorgeous ideas empire she's got my support all the way.

AnnieAnna

Comment

Originally posted by sparkysdad View Post

Sorry Di, I agree with this totally. People do copy other people's things, it's a fact of life, but don't make your daughter lose out because of it. Get the listings back up there, particularly on the handcrafted sites and allow her to continue to make some pocket money and learn the business, even the nastier side. Don't talk to this woman if you see her again, or make it blatantly clear that you know she wants to steal your daughter's idea and you're watching her carefully.
                          Elinor
                          x

My Misi page
                          Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Moonbeam Angel View Post
                            I would like to think it was just innocent interest, however, the first time she asked my daughter was after she had given them a thorough going over (in my presence) and then waited for me to be out of the way before asking.

She was asking all sorts like, what font do you use on the labels, how do you get the print to go round in circles, where do you buy the bags, where do you get the stones, where do you get the card, what is it called etc.

This second time, she was asking where we sell them, what websites etc.

It is just too thorough to be interest, also people who heard her have come to the same conclusion.

It has also been noted (by other people) that other items on her stall have been seen on other crafter's stalls in previous months, eg, a little stitched heart with a button in the centre, and other distinguishing features has suddenly turned up on her stall, when the crafter who makes them has never sold her any!!!, gift bags that others have made are now in a similar form on her stall, need I go on?????????
                            Well then, she's blatently pinching her ideas! I wonder if she's asking which show you'll be attending so she can avoid you and therefore have no worries about selling her 'aquired' ideas? I bet you've already thought of that though and I'm just a bit slow on the uptake. Don't give in to her.
                            Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

THEY ARE BACK ON MISI AND WITH AN AMENDED LISTING!!!!! so let her copy away, we are also going to change them slightly (but that's a trade secret!)

to her!

THANK YOU EVERYONE
                              Diane

Comment

Working...
                              X