Isnt this illegal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isnt this illegal?

On ebay there are items listed as childrens cartoon knitting pattern and a copy of an original knitting pattern for itv monkey (am sure there are loads of others), doesnt this break copy right laws? The cartoon patterns are all well known tv characters and the person is selling loads of them, but can they get away with it because they made the chart? They have been ther ages so obviously no one minds. I have made loads of charts for stuff for my kids but I would be too worried I would get in trouble to sell them!
    flickr
    blog
    my website
    etsy

Normally any of the character's eg disney, winnie the pooh etc are protected by copyright and normally say no reproduction in any form, so yes I would have said this was illegal, unless they have applied for a licence to sell.

Comment

illegal. Infringment of copy write.
      full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Yes it is, but there are so many at it that they'd never be able to enforce it me thinks?
        Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've seen the same thing with cross stitch patterns. It's definitely illegal but as you can buy software that enables you to scan in an image (incl TV characters) and it will produce a chart with the list of all the shade nos that you need, I can understand the temptation for some people to make a quick buck.
          Jane

If beads were still currency, I'd be a millionaire!

http://www.wildheartcrafts.co.uk/

Comment

If the person is selling copied patterns or created the patterns themselves then defo copyright infringement and I have heard of Disney prosecuting people for this in the past.

If however they are reselling patterns that they have bought from a reputable manufacturer then this is perfectly ok. I have some Disney decoupage and Laura Ashley products in my shop - the tend to cost more as the suppliers/manufacturers have to pay the company (ie Disney) for the right to use the images.
            Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Yes it is illegal. The only way to get them off ebay is to report it to ebay. It doesnt stop the person selling them elsewhere though.

Thats how I ended up with the photocopy eeyore pattern mentioned in another thread.

I had the originals and sold them, then regretted it, bought one back on ebay and it is a photocopy!!!
              Diane
              Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

a while back the BBC sued someone for developing their own pattern for OOds (dr who characters)
                It's a really dodgy area to be in.

Most kits etc are designed and sold for single use and non sale. Ie. you can not use the pattern to create and then sell the item. patterns are for personal use only unless otherwise stated.

You also cannot photo copy the pattern and sell copies of them as this breaks the copywrite rules.

I personally would stay well clear of that sort of thing.
                full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

It is intellectual property infringement

I have been asked if I'd do a Thomas the Tank engine train on a plaque. I don't do it and can't bring myself to do it. I would be in constant fear of being the one made an example of.

You never know who is passing trade at a school fete or a church fair. It would just be my luck that an intellectual property lawyer walked by!

I have used a poem - on my Babies Don't Keep plaque - but that came from a poetry and verses website clearly stating it could be used for commercial reselling provided no more than 50 per month were sold! (in my dreams!lol)
                  http://www.samigailsgifts.co.uk/
                  Handmade personalised gifts for all occasions created by the art of pyrography
                  My Facebook

Comment

This is what I thought, its deffo not licensed images, the seller states they make them themselves. Its quite funny that you can right click to copy and paste the image off ebay so people can steal them for themselves! (no I havent btw, I just wanted to see if it could be done).

I did think the ood thing was way ott, she wasnt even selling them and they were no competition for the toys they sell. She was a fan sharing her love of dr who and knitting.

Its very annoying that people get away with it, they are selling loads and I know I could do them really easily I just dont want to break the law. Will just not look next time, save the blood pressure!
                    flickr
                    blog
                    my website
                    etsy

Comment

It's a tricky one - I have been contacted on Etsy several times (by other sellers) telling me that I shouldn't be selling my Lego gift tags. These gift tags are made from the boxes that the Lego came in and I'm simply cutting the cardboard into tag shapes and selling those as recycled gift tags. I am not reproducing the images at all just using the images that are already there and saving the boxes from landfil. One woman I've heard of uses an upmarket catologue (junk mail basically) to make envelopes and she has been told by the company to stop - it's sad that companies would rather send out junk mail and have you toss it in the recycling rather than re-use it.

Your situation does sound different to that though and does sound dodgy!
                      Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
                      My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
                      My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Working...
                      X