Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copying ideas, biz setup and crafts ?

OK ..

I thought I'd start a thread about how people copy ideas, crafts biz's etc. And what you have done or do to defend yourself.

Ok.. So sort of a add / agree or disagree thread...

So i'll start with one thing I've learn:

If someone does copy hold fast as normally experience will provial!

Following on from the hold fast rule is that many people make and sell crafts just for fun thus out price you BUT this oftern doesn't last.

Please add, agree or disagree

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
    (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Originally posted by 0103media View Post
    OK ..

I thought I'd start a thread about how people copy ideas, crafts biz's etc. And what you have done or do to defend yourself.

Ok.. So sort of a add / agree or disagree thread...

So i'll start with one thing I've learn:

If someone does copy hold fast as normally experience will provial!

Following on from the hold fast rule is that many people make and sell crafts just for fun thus out price you BUT this oftern doesn't last.

Please add, agree or disagree
    My Christmas cards are 100% original in idea, though I do use images sourced elsewhere as part of that process (mostly copyright free!).. But having 'fessed up to the occasional image theft, I don't sell my cards..!!

I also made 3 "new home" cards last week (again, not for commercial gain), and took a snapshot of a plate in a shop because the design on it was of 3 cartoon style houses (the design is all over the place as artwork, china gifts cards etc) I used the image to paint my own version, so the card "art" is original to me, though a blatant copy of a commercial piece.. Not quite sure where I would stand on that in a court of law!

Comment

hmmm.... I think it is ok to take inspiration from other peoples work, but you must make it your own take on a theme. There are so many great crafters, it would hard not to be influenced by all the lovely items we see on the forum.
      That is very different from copying.

They say that it's a form of flattery but I would be really upset if I found people doing a straight copy of my work of business idea, I guess that's what design right and copy right are for!! I wouldn't hesitate to use it if I thought my work was being copied.
      Harriet

www.seasparkle.co.uk

www.thechildrensjewellerycompany.co.uk

Comment

I think the only thing I 'take' from other people's work is colours. I sometimes get ideas if I see colours put together that I normally wouldn't combine and then have a play myself with different shades/tones/textures. It doesn't have to be jewellery (which is my main craft), if I see it in fabrics, images, ceramics, etc, then it can set my mind ticking - and usually sparks off a shopping splurge with one of my favourite bead suppliers! (Saw purple and orange together on the backdrop for 'QI' the other night and that got me excited!).
        Jane

If beads were still currency, I'd be a millionaire!

http://www.wildheartcrafts.co.uk/

Comment

Copyright for the small designer is a joke - there is no way we could take anyone to court for infringement, so the only course of action would be to publicly discredit whoever did it! The only way to beat 'em is to keep coming up with new stuff - they may be able to copy one idea, but they haven't the talent to keep improving and come up with more or they wouldn't have needed to copy in the first place!

Comment

Over the years I have seen many people outright copy another person's idea. It happens unfortunately

You may recall that at the recent fair another crafter blatantly quizzed my 10 year old daughter about her little bags (once she knew I was busy elsewhere), from what Tayla has told me the woman was asking her, it is quite obvious she wants to copy the idea. All I can say is God help her if I see her with them on her stall!!!!

Ok so we may sometimes take inspiration (consciously or subconsciously) from another person's work, or take their original idea and change is and make it our own, that's one thing, but to outright copy a piece that's another story.

In law copyright only stands up if the item being copied is copied identically, any slight alteration makes the copyright useless (unless the law has recently changed)

If someone wants to take an original idea of mine and change it to make it their own, fine, if they make an identical copy, I WON'T BE HAPPY!!!!!! but saying that even I can't make an identical copy of my own work so good luck if someone wants to try!
            Diane
            Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

I know someone who used to make their own crafty things and was contacted by someone who said that they would be interested in selling their wares at events they were holding. My friend offered a lot of help and advice, as well as information on their own processes and products. After quite a lot of effort, the other person turned round and said that they didn't need to stock my friend's items as they had decided to make their own. Funnily enough, their new items were very similar to those that my friend had given them all the information on. I find it hard to believe that some people can take advantage of others who are trusting and helpful without question, and it does make me wonder how they can look themselves in the eye... a weaker person might have given up but luckily my friend's work is infinitely superior and they kept making... quality will always win out in the end.

Here endeth the first lesson...

Si.
              Wood Tattoos
              Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
              Facebook
              Flickr
              Twitter

Comment

hmmm know that feeling Peter! completely annoying! If someone needs advice im happy to give it, but posing as a buyer is really not on!
                www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
                http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Comment

The world around us influences us whether we like it or not/whether we realise it or not.
                  There are different degrees of copying ... an identical copy of my work I would be spitting feathers about. If I could tell someone had seen my work and liked it enough to be influenced and I could clearly see strong similarities then I'd be on my guard.
                  But at the end of the day ...making a leaf shaped pair of earrings is, afterall, copying mother nature ... I wonder if it gets her goat!
                  www.belovedly.co.uk
                  www.mybelovedlylife.blogspot.com
                  www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

Making a goat shaped pair of earrings might.

Comment

Although I consider myself creative, I really struggle with complete originality. It's like in a meeting at work - I couldn't sit there and come up with loads of fresh ideas, but I am fantastic at brainstorming and usually get an original idea as a result - same with my crafting, I use others as inspriation to brainstorm and eventually come up with something of my own design!

Comment

Originally posted by hdflred View Post
                        hmmm.... I think it is ok to take inspiration from other peoples work, but you must make it your own take on a theme. There are so many great crafters, it would hard not to be influenced by all the lovely items we see on the forum.
                        That is very different from copying.
                        Of course we take inspiration from each other, and the big boys.
                        I am sure a card maker looks at handmade cards in a gift shop, with a different eye, to say, me, the same as a jewellery maker will look at items in a jewellers to Joe Public.
                        I certainly look at soaps with a different eye to most people.
                        No business will ever stay the same, they either grow, shrink cease trading or go bust - you have to keep your eye on the ball and remember you have 1 mouth, and 2 ears and use them in that order, ie listen more before speaking.

Jane
                        www.just-soaps.com
                        Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                        FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                        Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Originally posted by gbell View Post
                          hmmm know that feeling Peter! completely annoying! If someone needs advice im happy to give it, but posing as a buyer is really not on!
                          The thing is that in that situation you feel completely duped and used and it's very annoying to then see those things being flaunted around.

The thing is with this forum being such an incredibly helpful place where people can get all the help and answers they need from the many wonderful people on here there is no need to pose as a buyer.

I recently looked at a blog and was shocked to see it was incredibly similar to mine in both content and looks. (now I am not saying that this can't just be a coincidence, but when discussions regarding it have taken place etc and that the dates all tie in with conversations etc then it's really hard not to jump to conclusions!)
                          full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Originally posted by staceyjlew View Post
                            Although I consider myself creative, I really struggle with complete originality. It's like in a meeting at work - I couldn't sit there and come up with loads of fresh ideas, but I am fantastic at brainstorming and usually get an original idea as a result - same with my crafting, I use others as inspriation to brainstorm and eventually come up with something of my own design!

As a crafter of many years experience, I would never dare to say I've not taken inspiration from many many people and ideas. I have no problem with a person taking inspiration from me..... that's flattering anyway!

I remember a case a couple of years ago where a crafter was contacted and asked for instructions to produce one of her Main lines (the thing she was known best for) Quite rightly she wrote back and said that she wasn't prepared to divulge that information as it was her bread and butter line.
                            The person then went away and produced something very similar anyway and then flaunted it accross the same stamping ground as the crafter. Now that is plain wrong.

There is an unwritten rule among crafters and artists, that we respect one another's skills and art forms and that inspiration is not the same as blatent copying.
                            As peter pointed out earlier, "Copyright for the small designer is a joke - there is no way we could take anyone to court for infringement, so the only course of action would be to publicly discredit whoever did it! The only way to beat 'em is to keep coming up with new stuff - they may be able to copy one idea, but they haven't the talent to keep improving and come up with more or they wouldn't have needed to copy in the first place! "
                            full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

I put my hand up to taking inspiration from everyone! Given that I only make things for pleasure/friends, I don't feel too bad about it. If I have an original idea, I cheer myself because it's so rare!

I do like to follow other people's patterns until I get confident with a new technique or to make gifts for friends, but I would never, never sell them.

Like you've all already said, 'stealing' someone else's idea for profit is pretty low - you just hope the theives get what's coming to them!
                              "I was inoculated, very early in life, against all forms of magic and elfin whimsy, even when convincingly disguised as literature." Clive James
                              Click the scales- rep points are for life, not just for Xmas!
                              http://madlyswaps.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X