help needed from lotion and potion makers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help needed from lotion and potion makers

I don't know if I've posted this in the right place but I wanted to ask if there are any forum members that make lavendar gel, my family use this gel a lot for all sorts of things, headaches, muscles aches, gnat bites, nettle stings and today on my son when he had an allergic reaction to something (not sure what) but the gel took down the welt marks that came upand took away the itching and redness.

Unfortunately we have now run out and the shop I bought it from closed down ages ago.

I desperately need some more. I really want gel and not lotion though

can anyone help???
    Diane
    Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Do you still have original pack, with ingredients on label?

If so let me know - I may be able to help - or know a man who can

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

just retreived it from the bin!

Didn't realise there were so many things in it, I thought it was natural, do you want me to list them all??? would you rather it in a pm??
      Diane

Comment

I would think a lot of the gubbins make up the gel base.

Lavender essential oil in sweet almond oil would have the same effect.
        ElaineJ soap and other stuff
        website
        blog

Comment

I think you may be right, although a lot of it seems to be the name of the natural item then it's "proper" name in brackets.

We did try oil but went back to gel as it is absorbed into the skin, the oil didn't do this as well.

I'll list the ingredients anyway, they probably make sense to all of you:

Aqua
          vegetable glycerin
          triethanolamine
          PEg-40 hydrogenated castor oil
          lavendar extract
          lavendar oil (lavandula angustifolia)
          chamomile oil (Anthemis nobilis)
          Ginseng extract (panax ginseng)
          comfrey extract (symphylum officinate)
          sodium PCA
          glyceryl polymethacrylate
          propylene glycol
          disodium EDTA
          carbomer
          magnesium chloride
          magnesium nitrate
          methylparaben
          methylchloroisothiazolinone
          methylsothiazolinone
          propylparaben

I have no idea what half these are, hope I spellt them right, the writing is really tiny!!!!
          Diane

Comment

These are the natural ingredients:

lavendar extract
            lavendar oil (lavandula angustifolia)
            chamomile oil (Anthemis nobilis)
            Ginseng extract (panax ginseng)
            comfrey extract (symphylum officinate)
            Aqua
            vegetable glycerin

PEg-40 hydrogenated castor oil (obviously processed)

The other stuff is a mix of chemicals ("good" and "bad") and preservatives ("good" and "bad" - but a preservative is necessary 'cos there's water in there and no "natural preservative" exists).

The regulatons state that ingredients must be listed in order of weight and sing INCI (proper) names.

A well made cream would absorb as well as the gel does - if Jane doesn't come up with "a man who can" let me know, I know a woman who can.

For bites and stings lavender essential oil can be dabbed on neat with a cotton bud - and on burns.

So can Bog Myrtle (Sweet Gale) essential oil - I prefer this, for burns especially.
            website
            blog

Comment

Thanks Elaine, so much of it is complete gobbledegook to me! all I want is something natural we can use mainly for the gnat bites (my daughter suffers terrible in the summer) and for itchiness (allergies etc) and also to rub on for a headache.

I hate chemicals and will use natural wherever I can. When I bought the gel I understood from the shop owner that it was natural. I was a little shocked when I read the ingredients earlier!!!!
              Diane

Comment

If you're going to use neat essential oil hold the cotton bud under the dropper and then dab it on the bite/sting/burn - don't drop neat oil directly onto the skin.

Not advisable for juniors!

For headaches put a few drops of lavender oil on a tissue and sniff - a few wipes over the forehead won't harm.

Many people find that aloe Vera gel is soothing for skin irritations.
                website
                blog

Comment

Originally posted by Moonbeam Angel View Post
                  Thanks Elaine, so much of it is complete gobbledegook to me! all I want is something natural.

I hate chemicals and will use natural wherever I can. When I bought the gel I understood from the shop owner that it was natural. I was a little shocked when I read the ingredients earlier!!!!
                  The toiletry/cosmetics industry have very clever marketeers, just because a product is labelled "natural" "simple" "kind" or "baby" doesn't often mean it is free from a chemical cocktail. It was by reading the label and trying to find out what some of these ingredients are that I ended up making soap etc without the rubbish found in 98% of products. Generally - if you buy it from a supermarket it will be laden with chemicals.

I keep an aloe plant in the kitchen, for a small burn, I break off a piece of leaf, the gel comes pouring out, and apply it to the burn.

Jane
                  Last edited by greannancrafts; 13-03-2009, 06:14 AM.
                  www.just-soaps.com
                  Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                  Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Diane

I have sent you some information by PM.

Linda

Comment

Thanks Elaine and Greennan, excellent advice. I will try the lavendar oil. I already have an aloe plant but it is in a sorry state (I'm no gardener) I actually bought it because I had bought one for my dad to use when he gets a cut from the glass.

I have used it for burns myself but as my son was covered from head to foot in welt marks from an allergy (we now think to crocus polllen) I didn't want to kill the plant by pulling all it's poor leaves off!!!!!!

Thanks also Craftdancer for your pm.

All advice greatfully and thankfully received ( I love this forum)
                      Diane

Comment

Aloe Vera

Hi All,
                        Does anyone know of any suppliers of aloe vera gel (maybe with tea tree added) that you could refer me to? The company I got it from previously are no longer trading. I am after 250ml tubs not branded or anything.
                        Tried posting as a separate thread but could not see a tab for start new thread!)
                        Thanks

Comment

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

How many would you want?

Jane
                          www.just-soaps.com
                          Twitter JUSTSOAPS

Comment

Working...
                          X