Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Handed Crafting Challenge!!

Hi All,

My son was born last week and I am breastfeeding him. I spend anywhere between 20 mins and 1 hour feeding at a time and am going insane with nothing to do!

Does anyone have any crafty ideas that I could do one handed? I don't mind what but I can't keep counting the dimples in the artex ceiling anymore!

Look forward to your suggestions....

Happy Crafting!

Alison
    http://www.pollyanna-patchwork.co.uk

12 High Street, Eccleshall, STAFFS, ST21 6BZ Tel: 01785 859360

Set up an easel and start painting?

Best suggestion I have. I'll be having a new arrival in about 10 weeks so I'll keep an eye on this in case I need any tips in May!
    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Grab a sketch book and doodle... you could later incorporate them into a scrapbook.. memories of motherhood

hope your all well and happy Alison x
      Sarah

Comment

I got lots of good books in from the library and used the time to catch up on some novels Theres a knack to holding a book and turning pages with one hand, but it can be done - includes judicious placement of pillows
        Cathy xx
        http://folksy.com/shops/Cathy
        http://www.recycledbaglady.co.uk/
        http://owlfamilydiary.blogspot.com/
        I don't have a short attention span, I ... Ooh look, there's a chicken!

Comment

congratulations!!

My son is now 7 weeks but i'm breastfeeding too so i know what your going through.
          I got out loads and loads of my crafting mags and books and while i'm feeding baby i go through them and make notes on any ideas i have so when i get 5 minutes to myself i already have a rough plan to get me started with my next project.

Hope that helps and good luck

Emma xx
          My Blog
          Twitter
          Facebook

Comment

Congratulations!
            My little boy is now 4 months and I'm still breastfeeding ... I learnt to knit within a couple of months of his birth ... albeit in a perculiar way! I can only do it if hes feeding on my left ... I hold one needle tight and still in my left hand and do all the motions with my right hand/arm. Obviously I have to be careful only to do it when he's really settled else there is danger of messy knitting and eyes being poked out! Progress is slow but he seems to like the clickclacking of the needles and watches intently sometimes out of the corner of his eye.
            www.belovedly.co.uk
            www.mybelovedlylife.blogspot.com
            www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

aww this thread is making me feel broody again...

love the idea of the doodle memory book,I breastfed 6 kids , with the first one it was idealic and I used to read, with the others I raced around like a demented touselled haired lunatic after the toddlers with a baby hanging off my boob

lol, ok now I don't feel so broody
              Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes CAN change your life !!

my website http://www.ticketyboo-jewellery.co.uk
              my misi shop http://ticketyboo.misi.me.uk
              my blog http://ticketyboojewellery.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by beckyboo View Post
                aww this thread is making me feel broody again...

love the idea of the doodle memory book,I breastfed 6 kids , with the first one it was idealic and I used to read, with the others I raced around like a demented touselled haired lunatic after the toddlers with a baby hanging off my boob

lol, ok now I don't feel so broody
                Lol, made me chuckle!!!!

Comment

Hi
                  Congratulations!! A new baby boy - lovely.

Spend the time just looking at him and marvelling at how clever you are to make such a lovely little person.

Very soon he will be leaving his junk all over the place, his room will be a tip and you will be on the forum asking how to deal with a difficult teenager - trust me I know

Jane
                  www.just-soaps.com
                  Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                  FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                  Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I used to crochet while breast feeding. its easy if you get baby comfy on a cushion. I fed mine until they were toddlers, and my sisters baby girl a month younger than mine when minding her. By the time I was done there wasn't much I couldn't do while feeding. Its amazing what you can do with one hand when You have to, cos you just have to create eh? LOL xxx
                    Last edited by pepsi; 09-03-2009, 11:17 AM.

Folksy shop http://www.folksy.com/shops/Fairyweb

Comment

Originally posted by greannancrafts View Post
                      Hi
                      Congratulations!! A new baby boy - lovely.

Spend the time just looking at him and marvelling at how clever you are to make such a lovely little person.

Very soon he will be leaving his junk all over the place, his room will be a tip and you will be on the forum asking how to deal with a difficult teenager - trust me I know

Jane

oh so true!!!! mine aren't teenagers yet (10 and 7) but I know exactly what you mean. Mind you mine were never baby-babies, being 9lb14oz and 9lb 4.5oz I went straight to the three month stage and feeding had to be by bottle as they were soooooo hungry. Saying that they slept 12 hours straight at night from about 8 weeks and were on solids by 10!!! I had it really lucky so don't feel in the slightest bit broody because I dare say if I had another it would be a nightmare!!!!!

Many congratulations on your little bundle, make the most of him now, he won't be a baby for long
                      Diane
                      Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Congratulations on your baby boy!
                        How about writing a book '101 ways to avoid boredom while breastfeeding'

I have a lovely son (obviously ) whom I adore but he is at preteen stage. The messy room, cleaning his rugby boots on the kitchen counter , can't get him in the shower, then can't get him out again. Unable to hang anything up or even manage to throw clothes in the direction of the washing basket............... Enjoy the sublime bliss of a sleeping baby who stays where you left him!
                        Terry xxx
                        You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
                        Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

I wrote this years ago when I had just had my youngest, I'm not suggesting that this is going to be your 'lot' but it is how I felt at the time and might give you a smile.

A WOMANS LAMENT

Oh, could I but recline,
                          Comfortably, cares all gone,
                          To delicately, frailly unwind,
                          Upon a Victorian chaise longue.

A portrait of loved and adored,
                          Clouded in silk and chiffon.
                          Me being politely bored,
                          Soft pillows to relax on.

The warmth of the sun through the drapes,
                          Gentle sounds drifting on the air.
                          A profusion of flowers and grapes,
                          The epitome of love and care.

My guests should not stay too long.
                          To perpetuate the relaxing mood.
                          Only kidding, the dreams just gone.
                          Here’s the ironing, the washing, the food.........
                          Carol
                          God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Congratulations! Takes me back..Reading is the most obvious, or perhaps setting up a laptop, wireless, so you can spend more time on the craft forum???!!! One-handed typing might be a bit tricky though?!

Helena xxx

Comment

Hello

I'm breastfeeding as well, my daughter is four weeks old tomorrow. I too know that boredom feeling when you're sat feeding and can't do anything else and unfortunately my Emily can take up to an hour and a half on one feed, drives me mad!

Like Emmalou mentioned earlier, I've also taken to buying magazines, be it craft ones or home makeover ones etc, and browsing through them making a note of any interesting websites or bookmarking specific pages for future reference. I want to start scrapbooking soon especially now that I have someone small to make into a scrapbook project, so am borrowing books from the library for reference. Other than that I can't think of any one-handed crafts sadly.

Emma
                              Emma

Comment

Working...
                              X