Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many times do you let it go wrong before you give up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many times do you let it go wrong before you give up?

Just out of interest.

I've been playing around with soldered pendants for a little while now and they're not coming out as perfectly as I want them to. Having said that I've only attempted 3 to date. But sometimes it gets so frustrating I just want to say "forget it" and put it in a box in the attic.

I'm being hasty and impatient right? I should give it a bit longer at least shouldn't I?

So how long do you keep trying with something before you give up?
    Yvonne
    x

My website: www.mymiyel.com
    My blog: www.mymiyel.blogspot.com

I feel your frustration! Lol. I've been in the same situation many a time and I think that generally, even if it's not as perfect as I want it to be but I can see some improvement then I carry on. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't.
    I'm quite a perfectionist so I tend to keep at things until I get it just right.

You say you've had 3 failed attempts - were there any signs of improvement or did they just get worse or stay the same?
    Laura Lou xxx

My Beaded Charms Shop - new 3d beaded charms added regularly!

Comment

id been trying diamond glaze recently. went through 2 different bottles but still kept trying. have finally got it to work and im glad i kept at it. dont give up!
      Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Comment

3 or 4 goes and then if there's no improvement, I put it aside for a while and do something else. If my technique is improving with each 'failure' I keep going for a bit longer.

"I was inoculated, very early in life, against all forms of magic and elfin whimsy, even when convincingly disguised as literature." Clive James
        Click the scales- rep points are for life, not just for Xmas!
        http://madlyswaps.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for your comments - they made me feel loads better. Went a made a cup of tea and am now back to making good ol' jewellery that I know I can do!

There is some vague improvement I suppose, just not at the rate i want!

I hate the thought that I'm wasting materials as well!

I'm a real perfectionist too and I always expect them to come out amazing straightaway! Of course, never happens. When I look back at the jewellery I used to make right when I first started doing that I can see how far I've come so I keep trying to tell myself to keep at it.
          Yvonne
          x

My website: www.mymiyel.com
          My blog: www.mymiyel.blogspot.com

Comment

Sounds to me like you're being a bit hard on yourself and actually you are improving. I would stick with it and I bet you'll be happier with the results sooner than you think. xxx
            Laura Lou xxx

My Beaded Charms Shop - new 3d beaded charms added regularly!

Comment

Originally posted by mymiyel View Post
              I hate the thought that I'm wasting materials as well!
              Practice on old broken chains etc at least then it's only the solder you're using up for practicing

Nic x
              **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
              Different prize every month
              Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
              PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

Ive got loads of technics ive been trying to get perfect, one or two im happy with, some ive been working on about 40 years, but GIVE UP never!! the fun is in seeing the improvement on the last atempt

Comment

I tried an idea last that I had a couple of days ago.
                  I used 2 different materials for it but neither looked good enough so I gave up and will forget the idea.
                  But I did discover a really good craft look on my travels.So its all trial and error....and discovery.
                  https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                  X