Company Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company Name

Now that I've taken the step of registaring as a company with the tax man, I'm wondering if I should be registaring the company name. This doesn't appear to be cheap, and I know I can put it against the business, as far as tax goes, but I'm wondering if there is any point.

Anyone else done this?

Thanks
    Carol
    Sparklez.co.uk
    Handmade Jewellery

When I looked into this when I was an interior designer, I got a booklet from companies house which stated that the law didn't require it and business names can be used by anyone as long as they are not pretending to be someone else.. what I mean to say is that just because you register your business name it does not stop anyone else using it... The only thing that someone is not allowed to do is to impersonate you...making out that that they work with you / for you or are you.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

You only need to register with companies house if you're a Limited company - that's when you give them your accounts each year, so everyone can see how badly you're doing! The only way to protect your company name is to register it as a trade mark - that costs as well!

Comment

thanks for the replies guys.

I know there is another sparkles around the edinburgh area but not sure what she does and I only found out about her months after i had started getting set up - I had already bought my domain name and had the site designed. not sure if she knows about me yet as I only recently started advertising myself, but after your inputs beadsbydesign, I'm sure it wont cause any problems - I have enough bother trying to be me without impersonating anyone else

thanks again
        Carol
        Sparklez.co.uk
        Handmade Jewellery

Comment

Carol,

Susan Smith is the girl you've heard of and I think her website is sparklesmith.the usual.
          I've seen her at craft fairs, she makes lovely semi-precious bracelets.

Comment

Working...
          X