PMC starter kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PMC starter kit

Ive read that some people have bought a starter kit for PMC, could anyone tell me the best one to get and are they easy enough to get the hang of or do you really need to do a course?
    www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Hi. I bought my starter kit the same day I did the course, so cant help with that aspect of your question however, I didnt use it untill months later but it really was easy to follow and contained just about all the basics needed. I havent got a torch, dont think OH wont trust me not to set fire to everything. no kiln, (too expensive,) and cook on leccy so I used a camping stove to cook on.

other than that i really enjoy using it. hope you'll post pics of what you make..
    Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

At the risk of sounding stupid was is a PMC???

i am racking my brain

Jane
      www.just-soaps.com
      Twitter JUSTSOAPS
      FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
      Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

precious metal clay? its the stuff thats clay and you fire it and it turns into silver

where did you do a course lilac moon?
        www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk

Comment

sounds interesting??? is this expensive to beable to use and make things from???

Comment

Hi gbell
            What do you mainly want to make - pendants, earrings, charms, rings, beads? This will depend on the type of kit (and equipment) you need.

greannancrafts - PMC is indeed Precious Metal Clay and ACS is Art Clay Silver, both are brands of silver clay. Silver Clay is microscopic particles of silver reclaimed from the film industry (amongst others) and then mixed with an organic binder to form a clay. The binder is non toxic and once heated on a hob, with a torch or in a kiln the binder burns away leaving pure silver. (it would be 999. hallmarked, the same as a ingot of pure silver).

It's fabulous stuff but for it to be strong enough for things like rings it has to be fully sintered (ideally in a kiln, but possible with a torch). Unlike sterling silver it contains no copper so tarnishes slower and is great for sensitive skins..the only disadvantage of this is that it is less malleable (more brittle) so for rings you have to make them thicker and treat them more carefully....

There are a whole host of other things to know about it, some of which is on the "silver clay tools & tips" thread.

In answer to others queries it's probably best if you go on an intro course, some things just can't be book learnt ~ like working texture and torch firing safely. Try to be taught by someone who is either Art Clay Silver or PMC certified (so they have definately covered all the basics themselves).

Hope that helps
            Nicxx

P.S> Feel free to PM me or ask on the hints and tips thread, if I can help I will
            **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
            Different prize every month
            Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
            PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

ah brilliant i was hoping you'd answer - I couldnt remember who it was that did the courses!

I shall go and look for the silver clay hints and tips thread
              www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk

Comment

I'd recommend ...

I use silver clay to make the charms I attach to my bracelets and some spacer beads. It's relatively easy to work with, but you might want to go on a course to get the best out of it. I didn't, but I used to watch the demos on Create and Craft TV which were really helpful as they explained and showed all the basic techniques - unfortunately they don't seem to stock it any more so no more shows. Haven't tried it myself, but you may find someone has posted a how to video on YouTube.

I've used both PMC (I got a starter kit from Create and Craft after seeing one of the demos) and Art Clay. I prefer the Art Clay (I use the 650 Slow Dry version) - I think it has a slightly nicer texture although end results are basically the same. I get my supplies from Silverclay* who, after much googling, seem to have the best value. They also have a very informative website that could answer a lot of your questions.

Hope this helps!

*Silverclay have a website ending .co.uk but the system won't let me type the URL as I haven't made 25 posts yet
                Regards, Carol

http://www.lindenblossom.com

Comment

thanks very much - ooo ive a giddy on now - my husband is terrified at the thought of me with a blowtorch
                  www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk

Comment

LOL he sounds like my OH who at the thought of me with a torch comes over all faint and now I have two kilns as well leaves me in the workshop to singe on my own! LOL

Seriously as Muranosilver said a course would be the best way of learning the basics as although starter kits include everything the instructions cannot cover every eventuality.

But have fun with it. I dont use it that much but hve made a couple of pendants with it and they are much easier to produce than with sheet silver.
                    Take care

Sandra

Cat'sEyes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://catseyesjewellery.blogspot.com/

http://www.funimaging.com

(A photographic website that I sort of manage)

Comment

Can't wait to give this a try too! A friend of mine works at Aardman - I'm going to raid her brain for clay working techniques, I think!
                      "I was inoculated, very early in life, against all forms of magic and elfin whimsy, even when convincingly disguised as literature." Clive James
                      Click the scales- rep points are for life, not just for Xmas!
                      http://madlyswaps.blogspot.com/

Comment

You'll have to learn to work quickly as the clay dries quite fast (hence Art Clay Silver's Slow Dry packs being the easiest to use).
                        I suggest Fimo Soft as the best practice material to try out a design in, if you work out the design in Fimo you'll know exactly what you're aiming for one the clay is opened.

gbell I see you found my course dates thread, lol.
                        You'd be welcome to join my 29th March course but it's a long way from the Wirral.

Nic xx
                        **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
                        Different prize every month
                        Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
                        PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

Excellent idea - thanks!
                          "I was inoculated, very early in life, against all forms of magic and elfin whimsy, even when convincingly disguised as literature." Clive James
                          Click the scales- rep points are for life, not just for Xmas!
                          http://madlyswaps.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by gbell View Post
                            Ive read that some people have bought a starter kit for PMC, could anyone tell me the best one to get and are they easy enough to get the hang of or do you really need to do a course?

If you do decide to do a class, I run short taster classes as well as full day classes. Don't worry about the blowtorch, I haven't had any fires yet!!! Alternatively, I offer a kiln firing service for my students.

Becci
                            x
                            PMC Certification Modules in Cheshire - www.firedsilver.co.uk

Comment

I got a starter kit on Ebay. Am a little light on funds so thought I'd 'teach myself' to a degree...... I have been too nervous to open box in case I mess up....am thinking of booking a lesson very soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X