Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pmc/art clay stencils

Hi all,

Just generally wondering. Has anyone here used pmc / art clay stencils? I bought some with a recent order (relatively cheap so I thought why not) and have tried one out this weekend.

To say I haven't got on well with it is an understatement, lmao. Every time I peeled the thing off it took off the stencil and the paste too! Bits remained, so I've been trying to do it freehand now.

Not the easiest things to work with, or is that just me?

Maybe I just need more patience and practice?
    Rach x

Dare to dream ~ never afraid to fail.

~ Jewellery by RMC ~ Blog ~ Twitter me
    ~ Fb business ~ Misi me ~

ooh sounds tricky, dont give up Im sure you will get the hang of it...
    Sarah

Comment

Sorry if this is stating the obvious but did you put olive oil on them before use as you would for the roller and work surface?
      Terry xxx
      You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
      Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

oooooo, iv asked for a PMC kit for my birthday. never used it before. is it any good?
        Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Comment

Apply to plaster dry clay & let the paste dry on the ring before lifting.
          That should help xx

Nic xx
          **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
          Different prize every month
          Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
          PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

Terry, I use Badger balm, which has been fine for me so far with the other things I've done. Maybe I need a different route, like olive oil, for this..? Hmmm. Something to think on.

I guess I also maybe didn't give it long enough to dry. I curse my impatience sometimes. It's all a learning curve though. This time I used art clay 650 and the hard paste 650. I decided I needed to test drive both art clay and pmc.

But, doing it freehand so far seems to be working not too bad... not fired it yet though, lol.

Snow, What I've played with in pmc so far has been really fun to do. Got some earrings and a couple of pendants made, and people seem to really like them. The few that I've shown anyway, lol. Kinda secret about this until I know it's gonna work out.

I have found however, that it's best to have a really good quality torch, if you're firing things that way. I have no kiln, and no gas hob, so this was the only way for me. The small torch that came with the beginners kit was pretty poor in my opinion. I've since invested in a better quality one, and the overall quality of the fired pieces is so much better. Worth the investment.
            Rach x

Comment

oh well, i know where to come when i get stuck then!
              Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Comment

Originally posted by SNOWF1975 View Post
                oh well, i know where to come when i get stuck then!
                When? Surely you mean 'if', right?

And, I'm by no means anywhere near competent yet. Note, I say yet. Heh.
                Rach x

Comment

I couldn't remember the name of badger balm - I only recently went on a course (so by no means an expert) but they said to use either badger balm or olive oil to prevent sticking.
                  Murano Silver is much better person to listen to, she freely offers excellent advice
                  Terry xxx
                  You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
                  Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

Badger Balm and Olive Oil are both fine as release agents but make sure you only use them if you need to and use them sparingly - (e.g. on silicone moulds you shouldn't need to).
                    The balm/oil also stops the clay sticking to itself so if you're using rubber texture sheets (which you oil) then once you've done your cut out the "waste" clay has to be really well worked together. This helps avoid getting a layered effect on your next roll out (like pastry making if you use too much flour).

Rachel I know what you mean with impatience ~ silver clay is so delicious to work with & the results can be so fast (compared to silver smithing) that it's tempting to do everything fast, lol. For some things like overlay paste techniques, gold layers etc it's best to let the clay dry slowly though (honest).

If you have a few pieces that are "in progress" ~ you could be finishing and going through the sanding pads on another piece while your stencilled area drys...it keeps my hands busy and stops me ruining what I've already done.

Do you have a cup warmer yet? A cheap plug in mug warmer off ebay will speed drying time immensely. There are a few other ways to speed it up too most of them are in the hints and tips thread http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=20016

Nic xx
                    P.S> Can't wait to see your stencilled pieces I bet they'll be fabulous!
                    P.P.S> thank you Aviya *blush
                    **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
                    Different prize every month
                    Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
                    PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

Working...
                    X