Laser Cutting Machine.. any info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laser Cutting Machine.. any info?

I get some of my designs cut by a laser cutting company and I get through a lot of the cutouts. Someone suggested it's not too dear to get my own laser cutter, but anything I've found on the internet has been EXTORTIONATE, tens of thousands of £'s. Am I missing something? Is there a reasonably priced laser cutter for small businesses - anyone know?
    Marion
    Embroidered Originals
    Marion
    Embroidered Originals
    Here is my Blog
    Embroidered_Originals website
    Follow me on Twitter

I've seen some on ebay - from a Chinese company (who else !) at really sensible prices - ok, still about £1K - postage is high ! But only a small cutting area.

Chris

Comment

Lol, I think they are VERY expensive!

What do you cut with it? If it's card/paper something like a craft robo or cricut would do the same thing but wothout the laser! Or on a more basic level, a manual die-cutting machine would cut fabric/felt/chipboard as well I think.

Comment

My hubby works developing the lasers that are used in these machines so when he saw there were laser cutting machines at the Stitches trade show last year he made a bee-line for them. After what seemed like hours of talking technical blurb with the sales guy hubby left telling me they were between £5k and £15k for the one with whistles and bells and he wanted one...ahem no chance!

A month later I got an email from the company asking if I was still interested in purchasing a machine...heaven knows what hubby told them and a very good job I got that email and not him!

Editted to add, just told hubby about this thread...he got a bit excited but did tell me the company he was talking to was called Universal Laser Systems UK.
        Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Thanks for your help, all. I never thought to check ebay. I'll have a look, and the Laser address too. I have fabric cut into hundreds of different shapes, from 1 metre square pieces of fabric at the moment - usually 10 - 20 metres at a time. but the bill for that is usually £500!! So it might actually be worth it fork out double that for an actual cutter, in the long run.
          I'll report back - if I do get one, I could always do any cutting out anyone needs - as a sideline!
          Does anyone on the forum actually have one at the moment?
          Marion
          Embroidered Originals
          Here is my Blog
          Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Oddly enough I've just been looking at these myself, so glad to find this post. I've found a few tonight e.g. rayjetlaser but pricing seems hard to get hold of. Found a few others as well like at hpclaser for £750

Comment

It shouldn't be in the thousands for one which will cut paper or card, I seem to remember you could get one for a few hundred pounds, but as some people have mentioned they can be expensive and this depends on their power output.

The thicker and tougher the material you're cutting then the more powerful the laser needs to be and therefore the cost increases.

Debbie
              www.beadservice.net
              On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Originally posted by Beadservice View Post
                It shouldn't be in the thousands for one which will cut paper or card, I seem to remember you could get one for a few hundred pounds, but as some people have mentioned they can be expensive and this depends on their power output.
                The all-knowing hubby says to remember that the cheaper ones will have weaker lasers meaning if they do go through the required materials they will do it very slowly - fine if you're only cutting a few things a night but if you're looking at doing any volume they'll have you pulling your hair out.
                Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

really cant help you with the price, i tried inquiring about it, but help from outside also

Comment

Cost of lasers is coming down and down, it's not like they are new technology or anything. In fact it's really just a plotting machine with a laser on it (ok over simplified)... For my use it's would only be paper I'm cutting.

Comment

Maybe, if there's severalpeople intereted, you could club together & share one?
                      Cheers,
                      Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
                      Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Sometimes you can see them on youtube and they are for sale sometime sjust a thought heres a vid of one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOs_rbKbLKk

Comment

Thanks Andyb for the video. Doesn't it look amazing - I'd seriously LOVE one of those. But I think I'd probably stand all day just watching it.
                          I'm still checking everything out - all the tips I mean, and I'll keep you posted.
                          Marion
                          Embroidered Originals
                          Here is my Blog
                          Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Starting at only £12k eh bit beyond my budget!

Comment

I am very interested in a laser cutter...so is my husband!
                              Apparently at the recent trade show at the NEC there was a stand with a laser cutter on, suitable for the craft market. The price was about £2000.00 apparently. I was given this info by someone who saw it. He did pick up some info so if he can find it I will post here.
                              Jane

Comment

Working...
                              X