Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good or bad news??

ive just been told im having my hours cut by 25% at work from next week

im pleased to have more time at home but worrying about the money!

maybe this is the kick up the backside i need to make more of my business do you think?

Has anyone ever had any help from business organisations with training costs etc?
    www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Everything happens for a reason, this is definitely the perfect opportunity for you to spend more time doing what you really love!

I cant help you with the training costs etc but Im sure there was athread recently so hopefully someone elese will know!

Although you could try googling and see if you can come up with anything? There are lots of smaller charities and organisations that help with things like that, even ones that are only for if you were born in a certain county or your parents worked in a specific industry, so worth fishing around a bit!

Comment

Sorry to hear about the hours cut but hopefully it will spur you on to new success!!! Good Luck

Nic xx
      **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
      Different prize every month
      Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
      PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

Sorry to hear about your news - I know from personal experience there's a period of shock and worry wondering how it's going to affect you. But you haven't been made redundant, you still have money coming in - and don't forget to check any benefits like working families tax credit as you may be eligible for more if your income has dropped.

But it can be an opportunity. Local business links and chambers of commerce can be very helpful and supportive for small businesses and individuals. If you haven't already, check out HMRC for courses. I've done two - becoming self employed and self-assement - which were free and really useful for knowing what I could claim in expenses as self employed. There are some arts/crafts grants available and some local artists collectives often have advisers who are well genned up on these things. Some local councils also have courses and advisers for people who want to set up their own business - can be very useful from a networking point of view as well. It will take time and it can be worrying financially - I'm going through it myself as you've probably guessed! But I'm so hopeful and I love the idea that whilst I'll probably never make a fortune at it, I can create something that other people want and are willing to pay for and I'll be boss of my own diddy little empire!!
        Jane

If beads were still currency, I'd be a millionaire!

http://www.wildheartcrafts.co.uk/

Comment

thanks i have phoned business link for advice and someone is supposed to be phoning me back!
          www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk

Comment

Everything happens for a reason, take this time to buid your buisness up. Try not to worry about money, it will be a shock at first but as time goes on you will find that you can manage. Good luck

Website - www.cherryblossomjewellerydesigns.co.uk
            Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cherry-Blossom-Jewellery-Designs/127033020677024

Comment

Sorry to hear about you cut in hours but, like everyone else says, this is a time to take a good look at where you are and what you're doing and inparticular, at your finances and give them a bit of a shake-up. Check out if there are any benefits available that you aren't getting - if you're not sure, apply anyway cos the worst they can do is say no.

You'll be surprised where you can make cutbacks to compensate for the drop in your income. Have a look on www.moneysavingexpert.com and you'll find loads of tips. Its a massive site but its filled with tons of information on things like how to budget, swap suppliers to save you money and also how to save money on your shopping bills. There are tons of threads on things like feeding your family for less. I've found it very useful on many occasions.

They also have info and help regarding small business so you will get on ideas of where to look for any help that is out there.

First and foremost, keep smiling chuck! Its not the end of the world and so many people in this day and age are managing to live on very little money. If they can do it, so can you.
              Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Originally posted by gbell View Post
                ive just been told im having my hours cut by 25% at work from next week
                im pleased to have more time at home but worrying about the money!
                maybe this is the kick up the backside i need to make more of my business do you think?
                Has anyone ever had any help from business organisations with training costs etc?
                well, these are real tough times...we all having a difficulties or the other, this is one of the most insecure times we are having. i am really not sure whether i will be able to pass this test of times. i wish you luck and i needs your all good wishes

Comment

Take it as an opportunity, turn a negative into a positive. I know that it will mean changes, but sometimes they help us take a change of direction. I gave up my full time well paid job at the end of 2005 (admittedly I made the decision, but for various reasons it was not a choice!!) and found amazingly that we could manage on some much less money. I started doing some self-employed work and making my cards and that brings in a "little" extra. Best of all is the sense of freedom after 40 years working. I know your situation is different, but I am sure you will enjoy having more time to do what you want to do and will also find lots of ways of making up for that cut in income. All the very best to you.
                  Cynthia
                  http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

thanks for all your suggestions, i hate that job anyway, going to work towards giving it up altogether.

Worked all my life, brought up 2 kids, paid for them through university, always paid my way!! time for me methinks!!
                    www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk

Comment

I thinks the same! Good luck in whatever route you decide to go down
                      Jane

If beads were still currency, I'd be a millionaire!

http://www.wildheartcrafts.co.uk/

Comment

had a call from Business link and im meeting someone on Monday who advises women in new business and she said i can get a £500 start up grant and help for training!!
                        www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk

Comment

fraid i cant help, but i do thing that just having ur hours cut is always a good kick in the bum to pull your finger out. had they of just completely cut ur hours to 0 you would have been really screwed, but now it helps give u the chance to be amazing, and show em that they should double ur hours
                          Last edited by Warlax; 11-02-2009, 04:08 PM.
                          Mod edit - please stick to urls only.

Comment

Working...
                          X