Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is another name for wire that wont rust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is another name for wire that wont rust?

Apart from galvanised wire?

I need some thinnish wire that wont rust to make an armature for a wedding topper I am planning (foolishly probably! ) to make for my sister.

I think aluminium might be ok but I would be upset if I made it, then she kept it and 5 years down the line the wire has discoloured it.

Anyone have any ideas?

most craft wire is made from non ferous base often copper or a non specific base metal plated with a finish of silver gold or enamel

Comment

So it's only iron that will go rusty?

That sounds good - Iv got some coloured copper wire I bought ages ago for something else, do you think that would be ok or asking for trouble lol? It would save me having to get something new!

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Iron and steel are the only metals that actually rust as a result of being exposed to moisture, other metals will tarnish or react with different metals, I have used copper for many years on lots of different projects and have had no problems, apart from tarnishing which is a matter of taste (I actually like the aged look)

The coloured wire will keep it's coloured coat unless you over work it

Comment

Thanks, you have been very helpful.

I should have said, the wire is going to be inside polymer clay - eg fimo - and then baked. Do you think the coloured coating would come off?

Comment

Stainless steel would be ideal, I'd have thought, but it's pricey...
            Cheers,
            Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
            Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Is there are a cheaper alternative to stainless steel lol?! I only need a little bit!

Comment

Working...
              X