Keeping things you've made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping things you've made

Just wondering if peeps on here who make things to sell find it hard not to keep it all (am assuming you like the things you make?!)

Am asking as everytime I make something (jewellery usually), it normally ends up in my own jewellery box, which is great, as it means I have lots of accessories to wear... (apart from the tiaras i've made, cos that would just be weird)
    ...but, I'm trying to build up a collection of stuff, so I can start selling it. I guess I'll have to be more disciplined, LOL!

Whilst I'm on the subject - do any more beadies out that just buy beads cos they love them, then end up with them in their stash for ages without doing anything with them? (am trying to convince my husband that its normal!!)

Hi, I know what you mean. I make childrens clothes and was always making and giving away to friends or for my own kids. Its taken some time and confidence to stop giving away and actually start selling them. I've been very good in not giving away recently as Im due to do my first craft fair next month. Hope its a good turn out.

Maybe thats how you should start. Gather all your things together for a craft fair.
    www.sweetpea4kids.folksy.com

Comment

Hi Estee
      Good to know there's someone else like me out there.
      I did a jewellery party recently and had to be very disciplined for that. In fact, as I was selling them I was thinking in my head 'oh no, don't buy the cute little pearl ones, I won't those for myself!!!' but I managed to sell them. The money did come in handy just before Xmas.

Good luck with your craft fair
      Sarah x

Comment

I'm the opposite, everything I make I end up putting in my box to sell.

If it's crochet and knitting then, the crochet I have done for myself and the knitting I do for my children and do keep those things.
        Diane
        Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

I have more jewellery than I have ever had in my life!! I do see it as advertising by wearing my own items though!!!

We all have favourite items that we make, but it does take a lot of effort to say noo I MUST sell that...............I can make another!!! Take photo's before selling though to remind you to make again!!
          Rach

Facebook
          Website
          Blog
          Folksy

Comment

hmm, I do like the idea of wearing my stuff to advertise it, that's genius!

It is kind of handy keeping things that I haven't taken a picture of, just in case I want to make another.
            Think I'll have to get a couple of boxes and start taking more pics of things, labelling them up then storing them away so I don't get tempted to put things on and keep them.

or maybe I should look at my credit card again and see how much I've spent at bead shops recently!! That'll get me selling without a second thought

Comment

lol, i dont want to look at my invoices from bead shops cos i can imagine it to be very scary, as for wearing items iv made, simple answer is no. Why? cos i make ladies jewellery and im a guy. If i started wearing my items i think i may get some funny looks

Comment

I am bad at wanting to keep everything I make! Especially when I am going out and want something to wear that goeswith my outfit!

As for beads I keep - I have a special box of them - plus many moans from Hubby! Althoght I am now using them to make things for my bestest friends and Ialways makesure they know they are from my special stash!!
                http://lilacstarcrafts.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have so many beads - just how many is too many?

Booking a craft fair is a great motivator. Just booked my first two for this year and now got to get down to some serious making to top up my stock.

One thing I do find very useful about making my own jewellery. Whenever I buy new clothes, I know that I can make myself matching accessories so I make the excuse I'm saving money there!
                  Jane

If beads were still currency, I'd be a millionaire!

http://www.wildheartcrafts.co.uk/

Comment

The amount of jewellery I have kept for myself beggars belief!!!!! It wouldn't be so bad but I rarely wear any of it!!!!!

and yet I still want to keep most of the things I make but instead of doing that, when I make something at home I allow myself to put it on a bust and sit it on the hearth where I can look at it to my heart's content, I can even pick it up and stroke it if I want to but . . . . . after about 2 weeks my OH will pick it up and take it to work to hopefully sell - he usually does this on Friday mornings cos that's the day I don't go with him so I am in bed when he takes it.

If I make something when I'm on the market, then I simply HAVE to take it home so I can take a pic of it . . . . and I can never find my camera for about 2 weeks!

How many beads do I have?

Just a few.
                    Last edited by auntynet; 30-01-2009, 10:24 PM.
                    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Originally posted by auntynet View Post

and yet I still want to keep most of the things I make but instead of doing that, when I make something at home I allow myself to put it on a bust and sit it on the hearth where I can look at it to my heart's content, I can even pick it up and stroke it if I want to

ooh, I'm so glad someone else does that too (I thought it was just me!).

I made a hair comb and tiara the other night, now they're sitting above the fireplace where I can see them

Comment

Hehehe - its not a bad thing though!

Remember the amazon heart necklace I showed you all last week? Well its still at home (despite having photographed it) and yesterday my friend came round and ordered 2 similar ones.
                        Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Isn't strange a customer can pop up when you least expect them to!!!!!! and be the person you least expected it to be too!!!!
                          Diane
                          Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

I don't wear much jewellery bizarrely, apart from earrings, and I just make them for me as and when I want some new ones. I love making jewellery though, and touching it, and looking at it. I'm quite happy to part with it though, as I know it's going to be worn which is its purpose.

Having said that, I've just made a necklace this evening and I really really like it, so I might just be tempted to keep it
                            Elinor
                            x

My Misi page
                            Follow me on Twitter

Comment

I only tend to wear earrings too. I used to want to keep everything i make! Now as i make other sorts of things that i wouldnt usually wear its easier to just add it to the pile.

The bad thing is that i have a few pieces that i got for presents that i obviously didnt make. But i wear them and people think i made them! Its embarressing having to say that no i didnt make it. Because its usually my lovely huge amber pendant that is set in silver and has lovely soldered wire. I wish i could make stuff like that now! One day i will
                              Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

Working...
                              X