What have I done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What have I done!

I have just agreed to do my first ever craft event. It requires me to take the motor way in the dark and I am not sure if I am freaking out more because of that or because I don think I have enough stock to do a craft event.
    What was I thinking of? I have 3 weeks to prepare for it but my business has just kicked off this week. Dont get me wrong I dont have a bundle of work its just that I can only work in the evenings. So what work I have taken on over the past few nights will keep me busy. I also have a wedding fayre to prepar for this Sunday where I have made an appointment for the mums of our local galaday to meet me at, to choose tiaras for their girls (8 in all).

Is it acceptable just to have samples and take orders at a craft event or is it better to have the stuff for them to buy there and then. It is a ticketed event and I am not being charge to exhibit there so I dont know how busy it will be. Arrghhhh all advice gratefully accepted...please
    Something Shiny Something Sparkly
    Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
    My blog
    Facebook

Why not just take along as may samples as you've got ready at the time but don't get yourself in a panic about getting more done in time

If you don't have what someone is looking for, on the night, then you could direct them to your website or you could take your portfolio with you as well to show them.

Is it possible for someone to go with you and help with the driving or is it too far away from home?

Comment

Mmm - bit of a problem as really you do need to have stuff to sell.

What can you make the quickest and would it be OK for you to make small items if there are quiet moments at the wedding fair?
      ElaineJ soap and other stuff
      website
      blog

Comment

as Elaine says you really do need stuff to sell , but saying that alot of tiara sales must be custom orders, so if you could display at least 6 to 8 along with smaller items such as your lovely fascinators and combs you should be able to fill a table.

good luck and don't panic , everything will come together
        Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes CAN change your life !!

my website http://www.ticketyboo-jewellery.co.uk
        my misi shop http://ticketyboo.misi.me.uk
        my blog http://ticketyboojewellery.blogspot.com/

Comment

I cannot believe what I have done. I am busy worrying how I am going to drive through there...on a motor way....in the dark. That is only a minor problem......the big problem is.....and trust me when I say I know why I choose the nick name Dizzy....up until just before Christmas we (me and hubby) had our own cars albeit both are old and second hand. Well, did his car not die a death and do we not now share the same car.....and does hubby not work constant back shift and the craft event is 6pm to 8pm. Unless I can find transport I am going to have to phone up and cancel!
          Thank you so far for the advice and your kind comments but unless I get the transport I really dont have to worry about the stock. Its such a shame as I would have been interested to see how my jewellery would sell at an event like that.
          My blog
          Facebook

Comment

Oh dear. you are in a pickle I would offer to help. but being too far away and own hubby working nights, you would be no better off.... hope you can work it out.
            Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

Maybe your hubby could find a lift to work? Just a thought, it would be a shame for you not to do the craft fair, especially as it's your first one!

I wouldnt worry about driving on the motorway in the dark - it will probably be fairly quiet, and you dont really notice the dark with all the headlights and everything. Says someone who doesnt drive at all anymore! So I know where you are coming from! But really, it will be Ok!

I hope you manage to sort somethng out!

Claire x

Comment

Ok - so you're not worried about your stock, its the travelling that's worrying you.

I was in this situation just before christmas and I was soooooo scared about driving 50 miles on the M62, at night, when it was snowing.

But I did it!!!!

And I see no reason why you can't. The road will be almost empty so be confident, take your time, stick to the rules and you've cracked it.

Good luck with your fair.
                Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

It is still light until about half 5 at the moment so, if you can get the car, can you set off at 5?

Which motorway are you worrying about, is it the M8? I note you are in central scotland...... the M8 is not that bad, it's a great road.

Can you do a "dry run" before the event, take your hubby and drive there on evening just to get a feel for the route, it doesn't even have to be an evening, try doing it on a sunday morning (dead quiet).

Once you are confident of the route you have to take, the motorway won't seem like such an issue
                  www.beadlab.com

Comment

Can't help about your stock prob, but as most say for a craft fair you will really need something to sell, and offer to take orders. As it's only for 2 hours (and strange hours at that!!! most craft fairs are in the daytime) I shouldnt worry too much about loads of stock.

As to the driving, I actually prefer motorway driving, just take it steady, give yourself plenty of time and, if your that nervous stick to the slow lane.

Also, as someone said above, do a dry run,maybe during the day so that you can see landmarks, once you have seen where you are going and know the exact route, it will not seem so scary at night!

Hope all goes well
                    Diane
                    Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Hi guys
                      It certainly looks like I am going to have to cancel. There absolutely no one available to run me through. It's in Dobbies in Stirling and if I had a car I'm sure a dry run would be enough to give me the confidence to get myself through. So there is no point in worrying about the stock either. It is a ticketed event on their late shopping evening and my sis tells me that its usually busy on a Thursday evening. Hubby works in Edinburgh that's why he gets the car from the afternoon. I might have another chat with him about it but he really hates getting the train.
                      Thanks again for the advice
                      Di
                      My blog
                      Facebook

Comment

Yay.....I have managed to talk hubby into letting me have the car for that evening. We did a dry run to Dobbies this evening. By the time the 19th comes round it should still be light at the time I need to leave to get there to set up. But it will be dark for coming home...but it seemed quicker getting home than it did getting there and as I cant see very well in the dark its not as scary as I thought it would be as I simply dont notice the traffic around me...hehehehehe. Ok only joking...but it should be quite a bit quieter on the motorway than what it was coming home this evening. If I can talk my sis into keeping me company that evening then I should managed it. Now my only problem is having enough stock. I can quite easily put the orders I have on hold as the weddings are not until August. So I have just a little more than 2 weeks to get organised. Wish me luck guys and girls....and thanks for all the advice
                        My blog
                        Facebook

Comment

lots of luck
                          www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
                          http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Comment

you will be fine!!, and once you have done it the next time will be a doddle,very best of luck,though i bet you dont need it
                            sally

Comment

Good news - and you'll be fine!
                              ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                              website
                              blog

Comment

Working...
                              X