To blog, or not to blog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To blog, or not to blog?

I've avoided doing a blog to date as it seemed like another administrative overhead and I really wasn't keen on publishing personal information online for the whole world to see. However, time and time again I see claims that a blog is a vital marketing tool, and having recently ventured into the world of Twitter, I'm wondering (again) if I should start doing one in the new year.

I'd really appreciate feedback from bloggers old and new, past and present, on why I should (or shouldn't) do this. I'm especially interested in your thoughts on:

- has blogging resulted in a lot more hits to your website?
    - do you think it has increased sales?
    - what makes a blog interesting? do you have to give much away about yourself?
    - what's the best tool to use?
    - who reads it? other crafters or does it help reach a broader market?
    - is it time consuming for you?

Any information would be appreciated! Thanks all and Happy New Year!
    www.CeeGeeJewellery.com Handcrafted Sterling Silver Jewellery
    www.EvaBeanBeads.etsy.com Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads
    Etsy - Folksy - BLOG

Do you Twitter? Follow us!
    Find us on Facebook! Add to your profile for news and freebies...

Hello

I do do a rubbish blog, I don't do it as often as I should (but I plan to do it more!)

I don't add enough pictures and to start with I didn't add enough links back to my site.

So all in all like my school report used to say "could try harder"

Tish Tash Toys do a great blog if you are looking for inspiration, in fact they let me do a guest blog which was very kind.

Someone on here did a great blog I can't remember who it was (the lady giving away a cuddley dog before Christmas sorry I can't remember who you are but I loved your stuff and blog!)

Good luck with it if you go for it
    Last edited by hdflred; 31-12-2008, 04:56 PM.
    Harriet

www.seasparkle.co.uk

www.thechildrensjewellerycompany.co.uk

Comment

I blog and have been doing so for some time. I normally do Show and Tell Monday which is linked with a women's site in the US, this way it encourages me to make and post something of interest at least once a week. Not too sure about an increase in sales but as free I feel that it is time well spent. Once you get into the swing takes about 10mins max per week. also a good place to promote new product line and direct traffic to your own site.

To sum up I would say give it a try you give as much or as little info as you want, you can also receive emails via the blog it all comes in useful.

Comment

I'm a non blogger, I think of blogging a bit like keeping a diary and in all my years I have never been able to keep a diary up together I've tried a few times. January is usually ok but by the end of Feb I have missed a few days, by the end of march I've managed to write in a few days and by the end of april the diary is somewhere in the back of a drawer. The only diary I've managed to keep is work, anyone who is self employed know how the tax man gets if you dont keep records of everything you spend recieve and why you spent or recieved it

Comment

I just do mine as a bit of fun & if it generates interest then thats a bonus! Its free to have so why not?
          Caz

www.pearlsandwhirls.co.uk

www.pearlsandwhirls.blogspot.com

Comment

Am still undecided - will maybe put it on my to do list and see if it ever gets to the top! Thanks for the replies, I've enjoyed having a nosey around people's blogs .
            Etsy - Folksy - BLOG

Comment

Hi CeeGee

I've been blogging for about a month and I'm hooked.

It doesn't have to be personal. There are almost as many styles of blog as there are styles of website. My own doesn't include "personal" stuff but now that I'm settling into it, I want to let my own voice come out a bit more - chattier, like it is on forums.

I use Blogger. It's free, pretty easy to use and well used already which can help generate traffic itself.

What makes it interesting depends on the audience you're trying to reach. I'm still trying different things at the moment and it's still a bit early to judge.

It's as time consuming as you want it to be. A bit like forums. You can post as often or as infrequently as you want. It also depends on your main topic. I'm now trying to post every day. Some days it's quick - a craft tip, other days it takes longer - a tutorial.

Don't have a website and still waiting to make sales at the moment - but then I think that customers need to build their trust in you so I'm willing to wait a bit longer. Also I think it will be a service for face to face customers as I grow them.

Hope these ramblings help. Happy to explain more if needed.

Sara
              Sara

For papercrafting and stamping ideas and tips please visit my blog

Comment

Hi,
                We have a blog for our site which reminds me I need to update it! It's a good way to keep our event organisers and stallholders up to date with news and info about the site plus I use it as a way of highlighting individual businesses or saying thanks to people. I've linked the RSS feed up to a few sites like Twitter and our Facebook business page. Ours is a Blogger/Blogspot one which is fine and easy to setup and use. Apparently Wordpress is good too but I think it needs hosting and we couldn't do it with our site software.
                Our blog gets quite a few visitors I think, although I can only go on feedback and comments as we don't have a stats package for it. I think it definitely brings in visitors to the site. I'm not a very frequent blogger so it's not that time consuming for me. I do find it hard to think of things to blog about so I really only update it when I have any real news or info rather then articles or general chat.
                Gail.
                http://www.stallfinder.com
                Twitter http://www.twitter.com/stallfinder

Comment

I do have a blog but I rarely update it. In fact I'm thinking of deleting and starting over as a craft blog? I do love to read other blogs though, I can waste hours doing that!
                  Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have been thinking about setting up a blog for a while, I have set one up on blogger. Once I have it going I put a link on my signature as it is a bit rubbish at the moment!!!
                    http://lilacstarcrafts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Which site

Hi folks

i am also interested in starting a craft blog. LOL though I really mustnt post my calamities (lots of them and fun stories which my OH loves to dine out on - like the time I blew a piece of silver across the workshop and just missed him -forgot that if you heat an enclosed space the air expands - makes a good rocket!!)

If anyone has any thoughts about where to set up a blog that is craft related and how to go about it I would be interested. I dont have even a website at the moment so any thoughts would be great

thanks

Cat'sEyes
                      Take care

Sandra

Cat'sEyes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://catseyesjewellery.blogspot.com/

http://www.funimaging.com

(A photographic website that I sort of manage)

Comment

Is this the kind of thing you mean by a craft blog?

http://www.clairelaraine-partnersincrime.blogspot.com/
                        Etsy - Folksy - BLOG

Comment

Blogspot

That looks great. Thanks think I will take a look when I get back from shopping this morning.

Thanks for the ideas

Cat'sEyes
                          Take care

Sandra

Cat'sEyes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://catseyesjewellery.blogspot.com/

http://www.funimaging.com

(A photographic website that I sort of manage)

Comment

I created one over the holidays as I was getting asked at craft fayres if I had a website, so I'll probably just use it to post pics of my work on. Can't imagine having enough time to update it regularly as a journal type blog though.

There are some brilliant ones out there and I also can spend ours looking through them.

Comment

hi ...

I believe blogging is all time best....

p.s. Nice to find the place BTW

Wholesale Battery & Power Suppliers Directory | UAE & Dubai Business Services Directory | Sports Wholesalers & Suppliers Directory | Something Directory

Comment

Working...
                              X