Warning for anyone using IE browser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning for anyone using IE browser

Microsoft have issued a warning about a security flaw in Internet Explorer 7.0 and are advising people to switch to other browsers, such as Firefox, Opera, Chrome or Safari, which are not vulnerable to the flaw Microsoft has identified.
    Full details here.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7784908.stm

Melanie

I only use firefox, unless I'm on a work computer - then I have no choice!
    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Thanks, I heard that on the news but I'm completley computer illiterate! I know I have IE7 so does that mean everytime I am connected to the internet I am affected?
      Caz

www.pearlsandwhirls.co.uk

www.pearlsandwhirls.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Cazpanda View Post
        Thanks, I heard that on the news but I'm completley computer illiterate! I know I have IE7 so does that mean everytime I am connected to the internet I am affected?
        Yes - there is (yet another) gaping hole in the security in Internet Explorer (not just release 7), which you may be exposed to when you surf. The hole is not there in any other browser (shock).

Go to www.getfirefox.com and click on the big "download" button. You may be prompted to run the file, or save it.

If you have to save it, choose somewhere like your desktop that is easy to find. When it is finished, double-click on the program and it will install. Then use Firefox instead of the bloated piece of rubbish that Micro$oft call a browser.
        It's never too late to gyrate!

Comment

Thanks, I have tried to download it but have a message saying my current security settings will not allow this download. I have disabled security settings to try & still doesnt work.
          Caz

Comment

I have always used firefox. I think it's faster and easier to navigate. Actually, I try to use as much as possible by people other than microsoft, because I don't like them
            My Website www.rheadesigns.co.uk

My Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dumfri...4443824?ref=ts

My Blog
            http://rheadesigns.blogspot.com/

Comment

I find IE too confusing. I have used Firefox now for about 2 years. It is very much like how IE used to be before all the updates, so it is really easy to use.
              I also use Thunderbird for my email client. I wont go pass Mozilla software now.
              Something Shiny Something Sparkly
              Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
              My blog
              Facebook

Comment

iv never liked IE from the first time i used it, since then i have used firefox and find it great

Comment

Originally posted by xrheax View Post
                  I have always used firefox. I think it's faster and easier to navigate. Actually, I try to use as much as possible by people other than microsoft, because I don't like them
                  Firefox is quicker than IE.

Google Chrome is even quicker, and starts quicker than FF does - I start FF and Chrome together in the morning, and I'll have opened the homepage, started gmail and be reading my email in Chrome before Firefox has even loaded. Google recruited the head of development from Mozilla to lead their development team, and it's just gone to a real release. IIRC, it's also now being bundled with HP (and possibly Dell) laptops.

Chrome has an even better defence against viruses than Firefox, but I'd recommend either of them.
                  Last edited by MrSwirl; 17-12-2008, 05:22 PM. Reason: Fixed link
                  It's never too late to gyrate!

Comment

Thank you so much for alerting us to this problem.
                    Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

Never could download Firefox but Google chrome downloaded fine (that link didnt work though!) Cant believe how much quicker it is!
                      Caz

Comment

I've downloaded google chrome
                        it all downloaded quickly and is easy to use but I'm sure it said it was transferring my favourites from internet explorer but I can' find them???
                        any idea where they could be ?
                        www.sunrisecards.co.uk
                        http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...5877781?ref=ts
                        http://www.facebook.com/pages/sunris...all&ref=search

Comment

Originally posted by sunrise View Post
                          I've downloaded google chrome
                          it all downloaded quickly and is easy to use but I'm sure it said it was transferring my favourites from internet explorer but I can' find them???
                          any idea where they could be ?
                          Click on "Other Bookmarks" top right
                          Cynthia
                          http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for warning, I have downloaded and am using firefox but am pretty useless without my bookmarks.............
                            I may just try this Google Chrome if thats going to get me my bookmarks.
                            Terry xxx
                            You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
                            Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

Oh dear I seem to be having problems with this Chrome now! Can you not save website to desktop? My old desktop icons no longer work. Also on some websites such as my own I am advised to download flash which I did already have. When I try to download it again it will only download for IE or firefox? Also I am told to switch Java on (which it was before) but I cant?? Also.....if I click on links from e mails I have an error message 'application not found'. I am starting to wish I never changed now, can anyone help pleeeeease!!!
                              Caz

Comment

Working...
                              X