Quality or Quantity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality or Quantity

Im making as much stuff as i can for this fair. Im hoping il have enough! OHs mum is saying that i should be making lots of cheapy earrings with silver plated hooks and just a few plain beads on them that i can sell for about 3 or 4 quid. Just to fill up the table.

But i dont want to make cheapy stuff just cos! Is it better to have more stuff on the table that isnt quite your usual stuff, but people would buy them as they are a bargin, or have slightly less stuff but it is better.
    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Originally posted by handcrafted View Post
    Im making as much stuff as i can for this fair. Im hoping il have enough! OHs mum is saying that i should be making lots of cheapy earrings with silver plated hooks and just a few plain beads on them that i can sell for about 3 or 4 quid. Just to fill up the table.

But i dont want to make cheapy stuff just cos! Is it better to have more stuff on the table that isnt quite your usual stuff, but people would buy them as they are a bargin, or have slightly less stuff but it is better.
    I think it's a really difficult balancing act, and it's a case of trying to capture different groups of customers.

E.g. OH and myself will often walk past displays of (for arguments sake) earings, if we glance, and categorise them as "tat" - but a nice pair or two will catch our attention, and cause a prolonged study of the whole lot!

Other people will be the other way round - will see the nice pair, then see the price, and dismiss the entire collection as they are "too expensive" (even if there are items lurking at lower prices).

Maybe try grouping things together by price, as an experiment?

Either way, I think you need to have a selection of items available!
    --Matt

Web Development
    Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop

Comment

Personally I hate making cheap stuff and would rather sell less but better quality. Having said that, I am willing to make a selection of jewellery for kids if I'm doing a school fair but I make sure that it is all in one place and obvious that it is intended for younger girls.
      www.littlebead.blogspot.com
      www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

Yeah, it does depend on your target audience. Unfortunately, if you have not done a fair before, you don't know who/what your target audience is.

It is a good idea to have different categories of earrings; I have a cheap range and a more expensive range but they are clearly marked (I have medium sized cards with my logo located above the different ranges).

One thing I notice about jewellery stalls , I do it too, is over crowding.... we tend to pack so much stuff on there that it's like a jumble sale! So don't make loads of cheap earrings just to "fill" your stall if you see what I mean?
        www.beadlab.com

Comment

I have a cheaper range of earrings, to be honest I do feel there is a distinct difference between cheaply priced and cheap!

I have soem cheaper priced earrings as they take seconds to make and only a few beads.

The last few fairs I have done I have mainly sold higher priced items but the little bits have paid for the table and got people interested. Also a few little girls have bought the earrings for Mum with their own money
          Ren x
          www.urbanangelz.co.uk
          12High Street, Middleton Cheney, Oxon, OX17 2PB

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...25898137455617

www.twitter.com/urbanangeljewel

www.blogger.com/urbanangeljewellery

Comment

I agree with UrbanAngel, you can make something inexpensively without it being 'cheap'. As long as it's made with the same care as you usually would then you'll still be happy to sell it. It may only have 1 or 2 cheaper beads but if it still looks nicely made then it'll only be inexpensive not cheap
            Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

hmmm really depends if you want to...

- make as much money as possible OR

- make slightly less but remain true to your style

if you want to make a bit more cash things like cheaper items would deffo help, a friend and i also do a lucky dip at our stalls but if you'd prefer people to only think of your better quality stuff then i wouldnt...make sense? haha. maybe you could have a few cheaper items...but not sooo much that it takes over from the rest of your wonderful stuff.

Comment

With this credit crunch I think it would be best to make somethings for people who need to cut back on Christmas shopping cost... but still make items for people are still willing to spend the money. Make sure you have them in clearly marked sections so people know there might be something they are looking for at your stall.

Debbie
                my blog: http://debsjeans.blogspot.com/

Facebookhttp://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pa...ls/48962246861

my misi.me http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=879

Comment

I've said it so many times I've lost count - we sell about 150 pairs of £1 and £2 earrings every week! Granted, we are selling on a regular market stall so it is very different to a craft fair but no-one ever buys just one pair. The sale of these earrings covers the cost of our rent for 3 days every week.

Most people are looking for a bargain and they are more likely to buy 3 pairs of earrings for a fiver than they are likely to buy one pair for a fiver - unless they have a metal allergy.

Just because they are cheap to buy doesn't mean they have to be cheap tat. I use up all the left over glass beads from any design I do. Very often, the beads (when you work out the cost per bead) only cost pennies each - add to that the cost of a pair of plated earwires and you've got a pair of earrings that has cost you well under 30p at the very most. If you've got any acrylic beads then they will probably cost around 10p to make into a pair of earrings. The profit margin is huge and people do buy them.

I also have a range of sterling silver gemstone earrings that I sell for £5 - these are all made with quality beads and decent wires but I only sell a few pairs of these every week.

I appreciate that a craft fair will not get the footfall that we get on the market but I do know that what we make, sells and people come back time and time again for more.

I'd suggest to try to make items for all budgets - you will have customers looking for something cheap and cheerful and you will have customers that "wouldn't touch that with a barge-pole" because it doesn't have a designer price tag on it.

After all, if you don't sell many at the fair, you can always add them to your website after.

You could always offer to change the plated wires to sterling - I offer this service to my customers and many take me up on it . . . . my sterling wires cost around 30p pair and I change them over for £2 pair shocking, yes, but people will pay it cos they're getting a pair of "sterling" earrings for only £3.
                  Last edited by auntynet; 03-12-2008, 10:53 PM.
                  Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Where do you get your stelring wires for 30p a pair
                    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

Have PM'd you.
                      Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Hi Auntynet - can you PM me too please? I'd love to know!
                        www.CeeGeeJewellery.com Handcrafted Sterling Silver Jewellery
                        www.EvaBeanBeads.etsy.com Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads
                        Etsy - Folksy - BLOG

Do you Twitter? Follow us!
                        Find us on Facebook! Add to your profile for news and freebies...

Comment

Feel free to PM me too!

In my limited experience, I've found people tend to look at the stuff they like the most first which, in my case, was the expensive stuff, so I don't think they noticed the cheaper items I'd made as well. I think the idea of a clearly marked area, or a good sign, might help with this, making sure people easily know where and how much your cheaper items are.

It's tricky getting them cheap enough, I find, but I'm sure a lot of people walked away from my stall because the eye-catching pieces were out of their price range that day.
                          http://www.folksy.com/shops/silvermoss

http://silvermoss.blogspot.com/

Comment

I always try to have a wide range of prices to attract a wider range of shoppers.

at my last 3 fairs, my stall costs have been covered by earring sales alone, anything over that has then put me in profit for the day.

I agree with those who say inexpensive isn't the same as cheap. I sell earrings from £2.50 a pair, on SP wires with some simple beaded dangles -most of the beads are glass, some are acrylic or polymer, but all of the earrings have only cost 50p to 80p to make.

I think if you are selling at craft fairs, people will often like a 'bargain' whereas selling in shops, parties or at exhibitions you can afford to charge a bit more, as people will expect higher prices.

I suppose it depends on what you want to do - if your 'thing' is sterling silver & semi precious stones, then it will be hard to make anything at a lower price, personally, I'm happy to make anything into jewellery, I've just nicked a couple of lovely dice from my Dad's poker set to use as charms on a bracelet - cost = £000!!

Claire
                            Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
                            Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
                            www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

Having defined areas for plated and ss is a good idea also different colour price tags as people have a habit of picking up 1 thing looking at it then something else catches their eye they pick that up put the 1st thing down in the wrong place next thing you know they're all mixed up again. I have white and pale blue tags so I can see at a glance which is which

Comment

Working...
                              X