Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idea for getting more buyers into craft fairs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea for getting more buyers into craft fairs.

We have had a lot of posts lately about poor attendance at craft fairs. Obviously the more people that come through the doors the more chance we have of selling.
    I have been thinking of doing local mail drops or maybe incentives to get people in. Then a few weeks ago in town there was a young lad in school uniform handing out postcards advertising a new restaurant opening soon. Obviously most of them would be thrown away, so this set me off in a different direction. So..
    What do you think about handing out postcards / flyers the week before advertising the fair with a free raffle ticket on, if it is brought into the fair on the day. Maybe friends/family or stallholders could hand them out.
    I was thinking of a space to write their name, address and tel number and then the cards get collected on the door and put in to a box for the raffle. If the cards are awkward to pick out then you could write a number on each one and the number picked out like an ordinary raffle.
    Anyone coming into the fair without one would be given one to fill in.
    Do you think this would work?

Melanie

This sounds like a really great idea, how do-able it would be then I'm not sure but I really like the theory behind it, it could also work for poeple holding open house events

Comment

Yes, I know what you mean, it's the general logistic's of it and whether you could get everyone on board.
      A local lady had vistaprint business cards printed just with her next fair details printed on them. So that may be a reasonably cheap way to go.

Melanie

Comment

hi

sounds like a good diea, but i'd be careful.

my friend and i have just had our 3 day fair at the weekend and sunday was dead as a dodo!!!

I had the idea as well of handing out leaflets in the town but my friend informed me that if people drop the flyers in the street, the council can trace you and give you a nice big bill for the clean up of the dropped flyers!!!! so i would check this out first.

you could always pay someone to walk about town with a sandwich board on their back!!!
        Eternal Flame Candles
        www.eternalflamecandles.co.uk

Hand Made in Scotland

Comment

I had no idea that the council could charge the leaflet distributor for the clean up... personally I don't see how they can justify doing so when it's not the distributor who's dropping them to be cleaned up (I'm not disputing what you've said just saying that I disagree with the council)

Comment

Its classed as fly-tipping and every council across the country has a department that deals with it. And they are all stamping down on it so you do have to be careful.

My suggestion re getting people into craft fairs would be to scrap entrance fees - I appreciate that the organisers have to recouperate costs somehow but no matter how small the entrance fee is, its less money that the customers spend on goods. When all is said and done, you wouldn't expect to pay an entrance fee to get into your local shopping centre or supermarket just to have the priveledge of spending your money on their goods.
            Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Originally posted by auntynet View Post
              My suggestion re getting people into craft fairs would be to scrap entrance fees - I appreciate that the organisers have to recouperate costs somehow but no matter how small the entrance fee is, its less money that the customers spend on goods. When all is said and done, you wouldn't expect to pay an entrance fee to get into your local shopping centre or supermarket just to have the priveledge of spending your money on their goods.
              I definitely agree with this!! Having to pay to go somewhere to spend your hard earned cash is definitely very off-putting.

Comment

Originally posted by auntynet View Post
                Its classed as fly-tipping and every council across the country has a department that deals with it. And they are all stamping down on it so you do have to be careful.

I totally agree stop the entrance fees, particularly the big events where they can charge £6.50 for an adult then £4.50 per child or concession, a typical family of 4 has already paid £21.00 before they have gone in then the refreshments, no wonder the crafters do not earn any money.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluffy Squirrel View Post
                  I definitely agree with this!! Having to pay to go somewhere to spend your hard earned cash is definitely very off-putting.
                  Absolutely.

Earlier this year, the OH's parents visited (all the way from Spain), and there was a sort of local craft fair on at the local equivalent to the RHS. We drove up there (reasonably 'long' journey) for Jersey, parked, and such, only to find out that the entrance fee (totally unadvertised) was something like £4.50 per person.

So we turned around and went away again - I'm wasn't really up for paying almost £20 between us to go and look at stuff to buy!

On the other hand, the West Show - which was held earlier this year (and is a pretty big local event) charge a fair bit for their tickets, but it's much more than just a craft market/fair - although a decent number of stalls were dotted in and around the showground.

So I suppose my conclusion from here is -free entry OR have plenty of other things going on, not just shopping!
                  --Matt

Web Development
                  Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop

Comment

For me its having nowhere to put the kids and craft fairs are not usually child friendly so something for kids would be my suggestion. We went shopping last week for lights and 2 broken Christmas decorations later very guiltily left the shop!

Matt, pleased that you still have a thriving West show as well, always rains here for ours though- will wave to you later from my front window!
                    x

Comment

I think craft fairs have something of an image problem in this country and most people wouldn't think of going to one because they think it's going to be full of tat and tea cosies rather than quality, handcrafted items (which of course they always are !). If I were putting on a fair I think I'd make an attempt to address this, perhaps by naming it a craft & design market rather than a fair and being quite specific in advertising about what's going to be on offer. Some fairs seem to be going some way to achieving this as far as I can tell (e.g. We Make Oxford), and I think that could be the way to go.

P.S. If anyone does a We Make Manchester, can I be in it?
                      www.CeeGeeJewellery.com Handcrafted Sterling Silver Jewellery
                      www.EvaBeanBeads.etsy.com Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads
                      Etsy - Folksy - BLOG

Do you Twitter? Follow us!
                      Find us on Facebook! Add to your profile for news and freebies...

Comment

I totally agree about no admission fee - a real put off. If someone needs to raise money other than the stall fees then have a raffle or sell coffees/teas etc., people are more inclined to spend money on that sort of thing than on an entrance fee.

Local advertising is paramount too and most local papers do free listings - if you get the info in early enough you may get several mentions.

As to showing the quality of goods. I have an account with our local county internet site and each week before our craft fair I featured a picture of one of the crafters taking part, which showed what a cross section of work there was and the quality of the same. I appreciate not everyone has that facility, but anything like that can help get the word round.
                        Cynthia
                        http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

This may take a bit of organising but what about, as part of the fee for their stall, getting each crafter to donate an item/items to the value of £5, these can be made up into prizes for raffles, worth maybe £10/£15. Then ask the stallholders to hand out a raffle ticket, for every £5 spent on their stall. Their could be several raffle draws, throughout the day, to keep the punters coming through the doors. If this was advertised - free raffles throughout the day with prizes worth £10/£15 - it might just get a few more people through the doors & spending their money
                          Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy4lee View Post
                            This may take a bit of organising but what about, as part of the fee for their stall, getting each crafter to donate an item/items to the value of £5, these can be made up into prizes for raffles, worth maybe £10/£15. Then ask the stallholders to hand out a raffle ticket, for every £5 spent on their stall. Their could be several raffle draws, throughout the day, to keep the punters coming through the doors. If this was advertised - free raffles throughout the day with prizes worth £10/£15 - it might just get a few more people through the doors & spending their money
                            That sounds like a really good idea too and if it was included in the advertising for the event then it may draw more people in

Comment

if people drop the flyers in the street, the council can trace you and give you a nice big bill for the clean up of the dropped flyers!!!
                              This is why I was thinking that the flyer could be the raffle ticket so people were less likely to throw it away. I suppose that whoever was handing out the vouchers could have a quick check and pick up any discarded ones at the end.
                              getting each crafter to donate an item
                              That was what I was thinking plus maybe the odd bottle of wine etc that anyone has at home.
                              Then ask the stallholders to hand out a raffle ticket, for every £5 spent on their stall. There could be several raffle draws, throughout the day
                              That is also a very good idea everybody likes free raffles.

This is the reason I started this post so we could come up with good ideas and sort out the pitfalls.
                              Thank you

Melanie

Comment

Working...
                              X