Q about aromatherapists...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q about aromatherapists...

I know anyone who makes soaps, bath bombs etc. have to have their recipes certified by a cosmetic chemist ... but what about aromatherapists?

If an aromatherapist adds their own blend of essential oils to a base cream, does that have to be certified by a cosmetic chemist too? Or are the rules different when it's therapeutic?

Just wondering
    Carol

Resin jewellery, encaustic art paintings & gifts | Twitter!

From dialogue with an Aromatherapist who is also a Beauty Therapist I understand that she can make up a formula for an individual client (based on that individual's assessed needs and treatment) for creams, balms etc. and she is covered by her professional qualifications.

However if she wanted to market a cream, oil blend, whatever to the general public then she would have to have an assessment.
    ElaineJ soap and other stuff
    website
    blog

Comment

Thank you - that's very helpful!

I guess it comes down to whether the product can be defined as 'cosmetic' (and therefore falling under the cosmetic regs):

"The Regulations define a cosmetic product as being:
      "any substance or preparation intended to be placed in contact with the various external parts of the human body (the epidermis, hair system, nails, lips and external genital organs),
      or with the teeth and the mucous membranes of the oral cavity,
      with a view exclusively or mainly to cleaning them, perfuming them, changing their appearance, correcting body odours, protecting them or keeping them in good condition,
      except where such cleaning, perfuming, protecting, changing, keeping or correcting is wholly for the purpose of treating or preventing disease".
      The last part of this definition means that products used solely as medicines are not covered by these Regulations."
      Carol

Comment

Originally posted by ElaineJ View Post
        From dialogue with an Aromatherapist who is also a Beauty Therapist I understand that she can make up a formula for an individual client (based on that individual's assessed needs and treatment) for creams, balms etc. and she is covered by her professional qualifications.

However if she wanted to market a cream, oil blend, whatever to the general public then she would have to have an assessment.
        I agree I have a friend who is a qualified aromatherapist and she blends oils for a client but certifies if she wants to sell. She has been trained and is registered with the IFA and also trains other people to massage and blend etc from here to Japan, quite a complicated training process as you have to know in detail what the oils do and how they react to different people.

Comment

Yeah, I gather it is (and should be!) a complicated training process, when essential oils are potentially so dangerous.

Do aromatherapy remedies (general ones for market) count as 'medicinal' - or is cosmetic certification enough?

This forum is amazing - you can get the answer to absolutely any question
          Carol

Comment

Working...
          X