Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's a question for you about your craft website...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a question for you about your craft website...

Why don't people who run craft websites put their CONTACT DETAILS onto their websites?

Would you buy something from a person who only had a mobile phone number?

...or only had an email address?

I know for a FACT that I'm hardly going to pay £100 for a piece of jewellery to someone who I known to me only as [email protected]

I get to look at 600+ websites per day and craft website owners are BY FAR the worst offenders, especially those who make cards or jewellery.

So ask yourself whether or not it might be worthwhile letting your customers KNOW WHO YOU ARE.

Phew! Needed to get that off my chest
    James.
    Doing nothing is harder than it looks!
    Free Classifieds

Guilty as charged!

I do keep meaning to put mine on, and they are available to anyone on request. I just worry about putting what is after all, my home address and telephone number on the internet!
    My Website www.rheadesigns.co.uk

My Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dumfri...4443824?ref=ts

My Blog
    http://rheadesigns.blogspot.com/

Comment

I am one of those 'that make jewellery' that do not have their home address on my website. The simple fact being that I don't want everyone in the world to know my personal home address. I know that it should be there but in the past I had an awful case of a 'stalker' who used to send things to my house and e-mail me to say things like he knew where I lived etc and would describe what my village looked like. This person was from abroad!!! And now frankly I am scared of it being repeated or that same person finding me. (I have since changed my address).

However..... The only method of payment on my website is via paypal, therfore any serious buyer will get to know my address and contact details via paypal.

Does anyone have a way around my predicament?
      Debbie
      https://www.facebook.com/gleiniauswynol

Comment

I do, somewhat relucantly, display my contact details on my website (think it's a requirement under Distant Selling Regs?) but stress that it's a correspondence address only. Reason being that I've had people turn up at my door in the past, looking for a shop!!!

I agree with the others that I'd rather not put my home address on the web, but the only alternatives I've seen are 'virtual' offices - where you rent an address /number and they forward your mail / calls to you - and they're awfully expensive.
        Carol

Resin jewellery, encaustic art paintings & gifts | Twitter!

Comment

I am a jewellery maker, with a website, my address is on my contact me page (or it was, will have to check as I have redone a lot of pages), I also have my mobile number on there.

I decided not to put my home number on, as quite frankly I don't want to subject any potential customers or otherwise to my children (I had the Mayor phone me a few weeks back, chatting to my offspring would not have gotten the invite to a ladies day!)

Also, I can't always guarantee that I will be at home and my answer phone is broken, but I do always have my mobile with me. Another point is that it is MY business, and why should I inflict that on the privacy of my family?

But my home address and postcode is on the site, and is also available to anyone that wants to pay with cheque or postal order.
          www.jos-beaded-designs.com

Comment

You should by law have your details on your webite (as cbld says, Distance Selling Regs) I have never known anyone that has had anything weird come of having it on there. I wouldnt put a home number on there tho.
            Vendi..Verdi..Visa...
            I came..I saw..I shopped

Comment

To put this in context for anyone who doesn't know the original poster - GEM, he has little moments when he feels he should come on the forum and stir a few people up. Have a look through his previous posts - don't take him too seriously.

Comment

James is a popular name today
                MISI - http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=741

Comment

There is NO WAY that I am going to display my home address, telephone number or email address on my website. I can be reached via the contact page on the site. I think that my details are already freely available on the web anyway, thanks to a "so called" agent who claimed to act on my behalf and also to some loonies who belonged to a forum that I was a member of (not this one, lol!) I guess that an encryption tool could be used to sift out the spammers, but I still prefer not to ask for trouble!
                  http://www.westofscotlandcraftfairs.com

Comment

Wow, it's interesting to read your replies..

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                    To put this in context for anyone who doesn't know the original poster - GEM, he has little moments when he feels he should come on the forum and stir a few people up. Have a look through his previous posts - don't take him too seriously.
                    Thanks for that Peter. The feeling is mutual.
                    {shrug}

Originally posted by Amethystjewellery View Post
                    There is NO WAY that I am going to display my home address, telephone number or email address on my website. I can be reached via the contact page on the site.
                    Sure, that's definately your perogative but how effective is that in generating sales for your business?

I think that everyone should AT LEAST put something like
                    "We are based in Haywards Heath, West Sussex" so that people can see that you are not based in NewDelhi or Nigeria

You could also put just your postcode
                    No7
                    L26 5PZ
                    LEEDS
                    Would do the trick I guess. Someone would have to research that address if they were wanting to turn up on your doorstep.

I think combined with a mobile phone number or a web form it would work well but JUST a mobile number or a contact form to 'anonymous' is probably not going to make a lot of people part with their money.
                    Free Classifieds

Comment

Originally posted by gemwaithdebbie View Post
                      I know that it should be there but in the past I had an awful case of a 'stalker' who used to send things to my house and e-mail me to say things like he knew where I lived etc and would describe what my village looked like. This person was from abroad!!! And now frankly I am scared of it being repeated or that same person finding me.
                      Fair enough, that sounds awful.
                      You could ask a friend or family member if you could use them as a mailing address.

It's not a big deal if you choose not to have any contact details, after all I'm only posting because I think it would help your sites to make more sales, I make enough so it doesn't bother me either way.

Regards
                      James.
                      Free Classifieds

Comment

I have to say that I thought it was required by law to have your address on your website, and I plan too - although what is the penalty for not doing this, does anyone know?

Stacey

Comment

It's a question of scale and security balanced against reputation.

A limited company has an legal trading address. That should be on any corporate site.

A small business with enough cash for a P.O.Box should have that on their web site.

An individual selling from their home should have no more detail than their town. The perceived gain in reputation does not balance against the loss of security. It may be friendly to describe yourself as a cottage industry from (insert town here) and browsing customers will understand.

Private addresses, both home and email, should never be on the Internet.
                          Keep home and business separate!
                          Ask any geek.
                          If I ever make anything good enough to sell, I'll want to keep it!

http://mines.lumpylumpy.com/Electron...xNet/index.php

Comment

I personally don't care where a seller is based or if their contact details are listed on site - if I like what I see then I buy. Simple as that.

Many of these "cottage industries" are women and in all honesty would you want your wife/girlfriend/mother/sister/daughter/niece putting her personal contact details on the internet for millions of people to use or abuse to their hearts content?

As Rhino said business is business and personal is personal. If people want to open a shop where callers can visit in person then fine, but these are virtual shops where you click on what you want from comfort of your own home - I really don't believe that having your address on your website makes that much of an impact on sales figures.
                            Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Under the law you HAVE to have your contact details (address) on your website whether you are a large company or a small business...you can't just choose not to. It is part of the distance selling regulations. I certainly wouldn't buy from a site that did not put their details on. It really annoys me that people choose to ignore the law or don't even find out that there is such a law.

My main worry with buying stuff from a site that doesn't comply with the distance selling regulations in this way is that they probably don't comply in other ways. I have a right to return items if I don't like them when they arrive (within 7 days) - do the people who don't know they should have an address on their site know that I have this right? The last thing I want if I buy something is a load of hassle if it has to be returned.
                              http://www.craftynclothy.com

http://www.folksy.com/shops/craftynclothy

http://craftynclothy.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X