Buying from US stores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying from US stores?

Iv always bought my items from UK stores but i was wondering if its possible to use a normal UK issued Visa debit card to purchase items online from US, or are there regulations and such, that stop this from happening?

Thanks

Jake

Hey Snow,

If you face that kind of problem then why do you like to buy your items from US via online through Visa debit card.

Comment

Possibly because they are different and usually cheaper! We have a home in the US and buy lots of things online, we have found that you sometimes get stuck with putting in the 'State' because obviously we don't live in one! They will definitely only work if the card is registered to the delivery address. Selina

Comment

I have a business debit card and have used this with no problems with US suppliers, I have found them sometimes cheaper even with the postage and also very quick, you also get the items before they come out in the UK.

Comment

Some cards may be refused by the website - but it's rare.

Some sites will not ship to the UK, so make sure they do before you waste your time looking for things.

And be aware that there should be import duty to pay if the order is too expensive - I bought some T-shirts last year and the tax bill was more than the items, which I didn't consider until there was a man at the door asking for some cash.
          It's never too late to gyrate!

Comment

thanks for the replies everyone, i was only asking as you usually get items cheaper if purchased from US sites due to the exchange rates and such im always up for getting things as cheap as i can

Comment

Ask if they'll take PayPal...
              Cheers,
              Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
              Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Originally posted by snowgoose View Post
                thanks for the replies everyone, i was only asking as you usually get items cheaper if purchased from US sites due to the exchange rates and such im always up for getting things as cheap as i can
                The exchange rate is very poor at the moment - you only get about 1.5 US$ to the pound compared with over 2US$ that we were getting a couple of months ago. And it applies to any site that uses the $ as its currency no matter where the item is shipped from.

The UK customs import allowance is only just over £18 so if you do purchase from abroad, then make sure you keep your costs under that limit or else you could be hit by import taxes plus handling fees from the courier which can often be as much as your purchases!

Originally posted by curtdave918 View Post
                Hey Snow,

If you face that kind of problem then why do you like to buy your items from US via online through Visa debit card.
                Most of us purchase from wherever we choose to in these days since we discovered the interweb!
                Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Working...
                X