Candle problems . eg err it won't light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candle problems . eg err it won't light

I bought a candle today from a market. It was only £1.00. but it looks like a good one. Solid all the way through, not like those filled ones you sometimes see. It is the type one might find in some expensive contemporary shop.

Anyway, it won't light. The wick lit, then it went out, tried re lighting it but no, it's ceased to live.. Anyone have any diagnosis?

You sure its not ceramic

Comment

Sounds like the wick is too small and is getting drowned out with the wax. Sorry paying £1.00 isn't going to get you the best of candles I'm afraid. If the wick is too small there is nothing you can do I'm afraid as the wax will continue to drown out the flame.

Sorry.

Lisa
      Bowed Over
      Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
      www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Lisa? I know what you mean, but a product should be fit for the purpose it is made for, any item anyone buys should work, so therefore it is faulty and should be returned. Trading standards I believe

Comment

Well if you can take it back to the trader and say to them sure they'll give you your £1.00 back!!! But in life you will only ever get what you pay for - if something looks too good to be true it always is!!! Trading standards or not I'm afraid. You could quote trading standards until you are blue in the face to the trader but it is up to them whether they listen or not!! and it is up to you whether you follow it up by calling the trading standards. However for £1.00 the choice is yours!!!
          Bowed Over
          www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
            Lisa? I know what you mean, but a product should be fit for the purpose it is made for, any item anyone buys should work, so therefore it is faulty and should be returned. Trading standards I believe
            You get what you pay for.
            If it looks too good to be true it probably is.
            Never mind the quality feel the width.
            I could go on. Surely as crafters we should know about the pitfalls of cheap rubbish, I'm almost certain it would have been from China, and you are probably lucky it didn't light - toxic fumes kill!

Comment

I can see this argument from both sides...

Buying a candle, you would expect it to light, burn and 'act' like a proper candle should, therefore as this candle clearly isn't doing so it may be worth your while taking it back to where you bought it from and explaining your problem to the seller and asking for a refund.

However as is the case with just about anything, you definitely get what you pay for... it doesn't always pay to buy the cheap option... if you want a quality item that is going to 'do it's job' then it's worth paying that little bit extra.

With regards to trading standards, then I personally, don't think that you would benefit from going back to the market and threatening trading standards as by the time you contact them and an TS representative visited the market then chances are the market trader will have 'disposed of' the faulty stock. Also without having a receipt (which I presume you don't have from the market?) then it is your word against theres as to whether or not you did actually purchase the faulty candle from them.

Comment

Could you go round with a knife and chop a bit off the top of the candle so the wick stands clear by about an inch or so? Would this work?
                Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

Thanks for all comments and advice.. appreciated,..

To be honest I don't care about the candle, I know it was cheap etc and do not mind throwing it out. Really I just thought there might be some technical or scientific reason why it would not light... Hey ho.. It is binned. !

Comment

Really I just thought there might be some technical or scientific reason why it would not light... Hey ho.. It is binned. !
                    I explained this in my first reply to you. The wick is too small for the candle and when the wax melts the wax pool is too big for the wick and drowns it hence the candle goes out!!
                    Bowed Over
                    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for all comments and advice.. appreciated,..

To be honest I don't care about the candle, I know it was cheap etc and do not mind throwing it out. Really I just thought there might be some technical or scientific reason why it would not light... Hey ho.. It is binned. !
                      I think we have all learnt a valuable lesson here, people... don't buy candles that don't have a technical support manual, troubleshooting guide, 24hr customer care hotline, 5 year extended warranty and lifetime guarantee.

Sorry, couldn't resist... I'll probably get on everyone's wick now if I continue to wax lyrical while burning the candle at both ends...
                      Last edited by woodtattoos; 05-11-2008, 10:32 PM.
                      Wood Tattoos
                      Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
                      Facebook
                      Flickr
                      Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by woodtattoos View Post
                        I think we have all learnt a valuable lesson here, people... don't buy candles that don't have a technical support manual, troubleshooting guide, 24 customer care hotline, 5 year extended warranty and lifetime guarantee.

Sorry, couldn't resist... I'll probably get on everyone's wick now if I continue to wax lyrical while burning the candle at both ends...
                        Lol, very good Si - even hubby laughed at that one!!!

Comment

I made a candle once using the wrong size wick. I heated an old knitting needle that I use in my wire work and pushed it through making a hole big enough to pull out the old one and thread a better wick through

Comment

Working...
                          X