domain name is available but don't know what to do next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• domain name is available but don't know what to do next

I checked out the name that I want to use for my website and it is available(both .co.uk and .com but when I enter it in the address bar the google page comes up saying that it couldn't find what I was looking for . Usually when the name is available there is a link to somewwhere so that you can buy it,what am I doing wrong?

Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble,I am attempting to write it as I put my coat and shoes on and pick up the little one from school!!

Emma
    My Blog
    Twitter
    Facebook

If you are typing into google the address that you *intend* to buy, then it won't come up because it isn't yet registered (I think?) so therefore doesn't exist.
    Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

Names co uk sell domain names. You can check and buy online. Also do web hosting packages.
      Allison Kiln

Comment

Or try www.123-reg.co.uk their site is fairly straighforward

www.aberjewels.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Emmalou View Post
          I checked out the name that I want to use for my website and it is available(both .co.uk and .com but when I enter it in the address bar the google page comes up saying that it couldn't find what I was looking for . Usually when the name is available there is a link to somewwhere so that you can buy it,what am I doing wrong?
          Hi Emma,

You're doing nothing wrong. The pages you describe come up when some other <<censored>> has already bought the domain name you are after, and is reselling it (a lot of individuals and companies do this speculatively).

If nothing comes up at all, odds are high that the domain name is totally free. Go to any of the various domain name registration services that are out there (personally I use Free Parking), and you will be able to do a registration search to confirm this.

Assuming it comes up as available, you can go ahead and reserve them for 1, 2 or 5 years (depending on the type of domain - .co.uk, .com, etc have different rules as they are administered by different authorities).

Keep an eye on what people are trying to charge you for this - don't pay more than approx £5 per year for .co.uk or £10 per year for .com - if they want more, go somewhere else!

Hope this helps,
          --Matt

Web Development
          Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop

Comment

Be ready to register any name you want as soon as you find it available, it seems some people have software searching the web for domain name queries, so you find the name you want today but tomorrow it's gone or you find it's available for £600, like I did,
            Kev.
            www.steampunkkaleidoscopes.com
            www.steampunkrelics.co.uk
            If you think you can do a thing or if you think you can't you will be right. Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Creativekev View Post
              Be ready to register any name you want as soon as you find it available, it seems some people have software searching the web for domain name queries, so you find the name you want today but tomorrow it's gone or you find it's available for £600, like I did,
              Kev.
              This is a really good point - sadly very true these days.

You may also want to register any variations (or mis-spellings), just incase your site is the next big thing - e.g you can see one of these dodgy "landing" pages on lloydtsb.com (notice - no s). This is why we have several variations of "mattchedit" - with and without a hyphen, .com, .co.uk, etc.

Damn those cybersquatters!!
              --Matt

Web Development

Comment

domain names

The domain name I want is available as .co.uk but has been registered already as a .com, but is available for sale at £9.99 through one of the domain name sites (I think its 123). The site isn't up & running only registered - would it be a good idea to buy the .com name as I've heard that Google searches for .com addresses before it searches for .co.uk addresses?

Any advice gratefully received as I panic a bit when it comes to setting up a website even though I've been computer literate for years!

Thanks in advance

Sharon

Comment

Hi Sharon,

If you let me know the domain name, I can always double-check the situation for you - I don't mind (and I promise not to nick it! ).

Google won't mind which you choose - infact, google.co.uk + searches made with the "uk only" button may display a preference towards sites with hostnames ending .co.uk.

Personally I normally suggest grabbing both, as customers can get confused sometimes, and the more you can do to help them find you, the better - unless it's very expensive to free up either domain.

I wouldn't expect it to be detrimental if you chose to only take the .co.uk, though.
                  --Matt

Web Development

Comment

Originally posted by matt.chatterley View Post
                    Damn those cybersquatters!!
                    Indeed - I spent ages coming up with different permutations of bankrupt banks that might be taken over, e.g. lloydshbos etc. and then I found that I'd been beaten to it!!
                    It's never too late to gyrate!

Comment

Originally posted by MrSwirl View Post
                      Indeed - I spent ages coming up with different permutations of bankrupt banks that might be taken over, e.g. lloydshbos etc. and then I found that I'd been beaten to it!!
                      ** WARNING: Politically charged sarcasm below **

Did you try bankofgordonbrown.com?
                      --Matt

Web Development

Comment

Working...
                      X