How do I drive traffic to my website?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I drive traffic to my website?

Hi I am new to the craft forum, I stumbled across it this morning looking for information on local craft fairs and subsequently got hooked
    I couldn't believe the amount of information on here, its wonderful!!!

Anyway, I wondered if there was anyone out there that may be able to shed a little light on websites...I set up my own website a little while ago and felt very proud of myself for being able to produce it, the problem I seem to have is how do I drive traffic to the site? Any help would be greatly appreciated . I feel like I have hit a brick wall!

I hand craft wine glass charms and bookmarks by the way.
    Handcrafted gifts at

Hi and

I don't have a site so I can't help you sorry but there's bound to be someone along pretty soon who will be happy to help.

Comment

Hello and
      MISI - http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=741

Comment

Thanks Krafty1, I do hope there is someone out there who is able to help, I'm not technically minded when it comes to websites, it took me a while to figure out how to set it up in the first place!
        Handcrafted gifts at

Comment

Hello Louise88, thanks for the warm welcome .
          Handcrafted gifts at

Comment

well done you I just never seem to have enough time to get around to it.

I think if you make 25 posts on here you are allowed to put a link up(not too sure) , and you might get some business from here, who knows

Comment

That would be great if I could post a link to my website, or if anyone is interested in my wine glass charms or bookmarks then just shout.

Thanks for your help
              Handcrafted gifts at

Comment

Krafty1 is right, If you get to 25 posts you'll be able to post a link. It's just a rule to stop unwanted visitors spamming. So how long have you been crafting?

Comment

Thats great I will post a link when i've reached my 25 posts. Thanks for letting me know.

I've been creating these for a few years now, it started off as a hobby (the same as most people) and making them for friends & family, everyone liked them and I just kept going (i've a very supportive husband ) and when I said I fancied making them and possibly do it as a business my husband was behind me all the way. So this year I decided I would see how it went, but to be honest I've not been as motivated as I should of been (I lost my father to cancer in April) and I've struggled to get motivated about anything. But I've recently gave myself a and yesterday I did my first real christmas fair and the response was great I sold quite a bit, so hence why I was looking for further craft fairs and stumbled upon this wonderful site. I have since booked in at another christmas fair and its all thanks to this site.
                  Handcrafted gifts at

Comment

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your father. My mums not got too many months now.
                    Yes I started off just as a hobby then I made a few pieces for family, and have since sold to friends and done a few fairs and parties. I would love a website, but I'm going full time working in a nursey soon, so no time to keep up with something like that

Comment

Originally posted by Raspberry Moon View Post
                      Anyway, I wondered if there was anyone out there that may be able to shed a little light on websites...I set up my own website a little while ago and felt very proud of myself for being able to produce it, the problem I seem to have is how do I drive traffic to the site? Any help would be greatly appreciated . I feel like I have hit a brick wall!
                      Scroll up a bit to the Stickies and read What is SEO and some tip's and how to's!

(SEO = Search Engine Optimisation)

Apart from having other sites link to yours you need to have the right keywords in the meta tags part of your page header and then use thes words in the body text of the page - and do this with each page not just the homepage as potential buyers using search engines rarely arrive through the front door, they can come in anywhere.
                      ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                      website
                      blog

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your mum too, its truly awfull isn't it!!!
                        Handcrafted gifts at

Comment

I still haven't quite got over it not being a nightmare! I relive it everyday when I remember what's happening, and that I can't stop it. It's devastating

Comment

Hello Raspberry Moon!

Wow that's a big question that we'd all like to know the answer to...!

There are a LOT of ways to do drive traffic to your site...but basically they fall into two categories:
                            1) advertising
                            2) designing your site to be search engine freindly

advertising: this can cover everything from producing adverts in traditional media with your website address on to joining groups like this and posting your links (don't go crazy on that - it'll look like spam!) a couple of good ways of online advertising are to write online craft tutorials with a link back to your site or to have a crafting blog to generate interest.

designing your site: advertising is all very well but you also have to desgn your site to be friendly to search engines (and more importantly your visitors) there are tons of things you can do to improve your listings on search engine like google. this is called SEO (search engine optimisation) just google it and you'll get tons of advice. google tends to like sites that have lots of TEXT content - so if your site is all pictures it'll look pretty but might not get a good listing. make sure you have plenty of text content, headers and alt and title tags on yor images.

make sure your site is listed on the major search engines. they usually have a page you can submit your url adress to. don't worry about people who tell you they can submit you to hundreds of search engines as long as you get listed on google, msn, yahoo etc then everyone else will find you...

I would post some links to help you but i haven't quite made it to enough posts yet!

good luck!

portfolio: www.suzielda.co.uk

buy online: www.mooart.com

Comment

Hello and welcome to the forum from me too.

You can't post a link in a thread until you reach 25 posts however you can place a link to your website (as long as it's crafts related) in your signature. This will show up when you post/reply to a thread etc. If you reply multiple times in one thread your signature will only show up on the first posting.

HTH.

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
                              Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
                              www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X