Coconut Ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut Ice

Hey does anyone have a tried and tested recipe for coconut ice?

Or if anyone has any other ideas for things i can bag up for christmas treats?

Thank you

Hi

You could try chocolate coated raisins,chocolate coated honeycomb, homemade shortbread biscuits or for kids try mini rice crispy or cornflakes cakes with marshmallows I find they go down a treat.
    (see where I'm going here with all that chocolate!)

Thats all I can think of for now. Hope that helps!!!

Emma
    My Blog
    Twitter
    Facebook

Comment

I have a recipe for coconut Ice but I haven't used it for years. I am planning to make lots of sweets to bag up for Christmas (and Halloween if I get my act togther) and am in the process of hunting down and collecting togther the recipes. So far I am planning Coconut Ice, Peppermint Creams, and some Uncooked Chocolate Fudge. The kids and I are hoping to experiment this week (it being half term) so we will probably be putting the recipes and the results on my blog if you want to keep an eye out on there.

Coconut Ice (worked ok if I remember rightly)

150ml milk
      150ml water
      900g granulated sugar
      25g butter
      225g desiccated coconut
      1tsp vanilla essence
      food colouring

1) Pour milk and water into a saucepan. Bring to boil.
      2) Add sugar and butter. Heat slowly, stirring until sugar disolves and butter melts.
      3) Bring to boil. Cover pan and boil gently for 2 minutes.
      4) uncover, continue to boil, stirring occasionally for 7-10 minutes (or until a little of the mixture dropped into a cup of cold water forms soft ball when rolled gently between finger and thumb). Temperature on sugar thermometer (if used) should be 115'c - 116'c.
      5) remove from heat. Add Coconut and Vanilla.
      6) Beat briskly until mixture is thick and creamy looking.
      7) Pour half into buttered 20cm square tin.
      8) quickly colour remainder with food colouring of your choice.
      9) spread over white layer.
      10) leave in the cool until firm and set. Cut into squares.

Good luck! I'll let you know how ours goes.
      Natalie
      website blog

Comment

OH and i made peppermint creams last year and they turned out sooo yummy, but they were so much work too.

We are quite skint this year too so we need new ideas of what to give people.
        Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

I can't help with the coconut ice, on account of the fact I cannot stand dried coconut, I can eat it fresh though....

Anyway, for those that were looking for inspiration!

Last year I made chocolate brownies. I put them in little bags and tied christmassy ribbon I had left over from presents around them. They looked really lovely. I used Jamie Olivers brownie recipe, although I tend to add a teensy bit extra flour!

I make mars bar crunchie too. Get about 5 mars bars, add some butter (I would say about 4 ounces, I do it all by guesswork!) and melt it all together in a pan, stirring often. Add some rice crispies or cornflakes, and then put it all in a tray. When a little cooler, smother melted chocolate (about 200g) over the top. Then cut into squares.
          If you, like me, are more of a mars bar 'chewy' kind of girl, add a little golden syrup (about 3 tables spoons) when melting the mars bars.

I have another for little white chocolate rounds, they have candied fruit or something in them and look gorgeous (I haven't yet found the time to make them) I'll have a look for the reciepe later

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
          My Website www.rheadesigns.co.uk

My Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dumfri...4443824?ref=ts

My Blog
          http://rheadesigns.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by xrheax View Post
            I make mars bar crunchie too. Get about 5 mars bars, add some butter (I would say about 4 ounces, I do it all by guesswork!) and melt it all together in a pan, stirring often. Add some rice crispies or cornflakes, and then put it all in a tray. When a little cooler, smother melted chocolate (about 200g) over the top. Then cut into squares.
            If you, like me, are more of a mars bar 'chewy' kind of girl, add a little golden syrup (about 3 tables spoons) when melting the mars bars.
            In another life I had a Scottish MIL that used to make mars bar cake but she used to put Highland Toffee bars and marshmallows in hers and it was to die for!!!!!

Has anyone got this receipe cos I guarantee you will love it.
            Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Oh coconut Ice I used to love it. That rearly is back in the day. I wish I could make it along with the mars bar one. We are all on dierts, hubby has lost 2 stone, daughter has lost 4 stone and me 6lb. But I do have an excuse I am disabled and find it very difficult. I rearly think I'm going to have to try the coconut ice.

Comment

oohhh I lurv coconut ice!!!! yum yum may have to make some
                Ger xx

My Blog

www.cullen-crafts.co.uk

Comment

ooh could I have the recipie for Jamie Olivers brownies please
                  also when I worked at the playgroup they used to add peppermint essence to that roll out fondant icing and a bit of food colouring and make peppermint creams like that
                  they were yummy !!
                  I do sometimes wonder if once you've bought all the ingredients for these sweets you might be able to buy them cheaper but they must taste nicer being homemade
                  www.sunrisecards.co.uk
                  http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...5877781?ref=ts
                  http://www.facebook.com/pages/sunris...all&ref=search

Comment

Originally posted by sunrise View Post
                    ooh could I have the recipie for Jamie Olivers brownies please
                    also when I worked at the playgroup they used to add peppermint essence to that roll out fondant icing and a bit of food colouring and make peppermint creams like that
                    they were yummy !!
                    I do sometimes wonder if once you've bought all the ingredients for these sweets you might be able to buy them cheaper but they must taste nicer being homemade

Sorry guys, this si going to be a long post!

Courtesy of Jamie Oliver

Ingredients

• 250g unsalted butter
                    • 200g dark Fairtrade chocolate (70% cocoa solids), broken up
                    • optional: 75g dried sour cherries
                    • optional: 50g chopped nuts
                    • 80g cocoa powder, sifted
                    • 65g plain flour, sifted
                    • 1 teaspoon baking powder
                    • 360g caster sugar
                    • 4 large free-range or organic eggs
                    • optional: zest of 1 orange
                    • optional: 250ml crème fraîche

Serves 20
                    This great little recipe is taken from my Little Book Of Big Treats which I've put together exclusively for Comic Relief.

Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Line a 25cm square baking tin with greaseproof paper. In a large bowl over some simmering water, melt the butter and the chocolate and mix until smooth. Add the cherries and nuts, if you’re using them, and stir together. In a separate bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and sugar, then add this to the chocolate, cherry and nut mixture. Stir together well. Beat the eggs and mix in until you have a silky consistency.

Pour your brownie mix into the baking tray, and place in the oven for around 25 minutes. You don’t want to overcook them so, unlike cakes, you don’t want a skewer to come out all clean. The brownies should be slightly springy on the outside but still gooey in the middle. Allow to cool in the tray, then carefully transfer to a large chopping board and cut into chunky squares. These make a fantastic dessert served with a dollop of crème fraîche mixed with some orange zest.

As for price, the first time I bought all the ingrediaents I did spend quite a lot of money, however, the next time I made them I already had lots left over so I didn't need to spend nearly as much. I now have a well stocked kitchen (I love cooking) and so I spend a lot less cooking treats than going and buying good quality brownies or sweets in the shops. I also have a laugh doing it, we eat much better food and my kids love to help, I really cannot recommend it enough.

Have fun making them, they are LOVERLY! Just watch out for the neighnours, as soon as I get my stuff out to make these my friends decide they must visit me
                    My Website www.rheadesigns.co.uk

My Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dumfri...4443824?ref=ts

My Blog
                    http://rheadesigns.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X