X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Ideas to make and save you ££'s

Hi All

Maybe some of these ideas could help any of you make some extra ££'s

1. Instead or as well as trying to sell your own craft, why not hire a hall and teach others to make the things as well. Charging say 15 - 20 per person for either a one off evening class or sessions over a few weeks.
    2. Hire a market stall
    3. Phone call centres or any large business where plenty of woman work and ask if you can sell during lunch time or lunch break.
    4. Gather a few friends and family and have a gift selling party in the evening
    5. Place your goods in other shops for a commision. my sister offers 20% and still does well.
    6. Sell online (although not that simple)
    Lastly though any of you thinking about buying a shop, I would advise against it. All sounds great on the surface, but after you have paid the rent, biz rates, accountant, shop insurance, lighting, heating, phone, swipe machine, window cleaner, stationary, endless list of bills, stock and especially in our reccesional times looming, you may find unless you are VERY lucky that you made the largest mistake of your life.

Anyway I hope all this helps

Bentley

Good ideas, thanks
    Sarah

Comment

Great advise. How do you go about getting a market stall.

Comment

Originally posted by zoeistopdog View Post
        How do you go about getting a market stall.

It's a good few years since I had a market stall but if you go to a market you're interested in getting a stall in and ask one of the stall holders who rns the market they should be able to give you contact details. Usually to start with they let you turn up on the day and they will allocate you a pitch - not always guaranteed though. Or you can put yourself on a waiting list if they have one.

for bath bomb, soap & Skincare kits
        plus Soap Base, Bath Bomb Ingredients, Butters,
        Oils and packaging for Bath & Body Products

Comment

its a great idea but my problem is approching ppl, i get scard and think my stuff is not great ..

Considering ive completed a degree in textiles, i just cant do the buisness part ... my confidnce is shocking, i would love to do teach acraft course but its my confidance again arrrr annoying....
          Sam

Comment

Originally posted by zoeistopdog View Post
            Great advise. How do you go about getting a market stall.
            At this time of year buy as many pairs of thermal underwear as you can - don't forget socks and gloves - waddle into the market office at about 6am on market day, and wait to be stuck in the back of beyond as a casual trader until after Christmas when you can convince them you're not just out to make a quick buck. Have fun. From a jaded ex trader! With apologies to Auntynet and Urbtaf!
            Last edited by Peter; 25-10-2008, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Sam
              You sound just like me. I'm hoping that the 3 charity fairs I'm attending will give me confidence with people and that the cards I am making people will like. I had a table top sale at my local hospital and I was so surprised that people really liked them and if didnt' buy wanted to know if I would do more family cards and when was I coming back.I was so surprised. At the moment I'm trying to do enough cards and a wider range for the 3 fairs I am going to. So try it you never know.

Comment

Hi Zoeistopdog,

Love your name! wow thats brillent, 3 craft fairs your gonna be busy...which is all good...hope you sell loads of your cards!

Keep me up dated on how you get on!!

Im hoping to get involve in some craft fairs, just wish i had someone to do one with...but hey i still may find a partner !!
                Sam

Comment

Pleased you like the name. We have a Black Labrador named Zoe and boy is she top dog and does know it. All the fairs I have are only very small charity fairs. I am know way near being good enough for CHARFT FAIRS or making any profit to be able to afford the cost of going to one. Since finding this site which is fantastic site. I didnt know anything about the insurance etc. I will let you know how I get on

Comment

Church fairs

Try asking in local churches and schools if you can rent a stall. I'm lucky in that I have a stall at the local C of E church each year and they don't charge me for it. I always give them a percentage of my takings, it's only fair. I'm taking alot more different lines this time as there were quite a few others selling cards. Mainly for prices of 50-75p which didn't do much for my sales even though mine were all bagged and had inserts. I've just bought a Bind-it-All so I'm going to take some journals of varying sizes and titles, definitely some Prayer Journals with it being for the church lol. Things like shopping pads, birthday calendars and some for the kiddies too. I've done some thank you notelets with a stamped teddy holding a gift, just in black, with a label on the bag saying "Colour me", thought it might encourage youngsters into the art of saying thank you the old fashioned way.

Hope this gives a bit of inspiration for someone

Margaret xx

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                      At this time of year buy as many pairs of thermal underwear as you can - don't forget socks and gloves - waddle into the market office at about 6am on market day, and wait to be stuck in the back of beyond as a casual trader until after Christmas when you can convince them you're not just out to make a quick buck. Have fun. From a jaded ex trader! With apologies to Auntynet and Urbtaft!
                      No apologies needed Peter, you have summed up the markets very well

I would add that if you find a market that you can get on at this time of year, then get ready to celebrate if you cover your rent.

Good markets are very rare these days, that is why we commute 90 miles a day round trip to stand on bury market, and it took us 2 years before we managed to move onto a prime stall and start makeing profit.
                      And dont forget the £1500 shutter fee for the stall.
                      The continuous battle with council bureaucracy.
                      Joining in the leagle battle to stop the big developers buying the site to build another shopping center
                      The backstabing other traders that see you making a bit and try to copy you
                      The £25 fine if you break a rule ie. not opening your stall on time,even if youve been sitting in a 15mile jam on the M62 for a hour

God Ive just realised Im ranting! and could go on forever.

No its not an easy option, and on top of all this you have to deal with the bloody CUSTOMERS

Comment

But...................other than that.............OK?

Comment

Originally posted by urbtaf View Post
                          No apologies needed Peter, you have summed up the markets very well

I would add that if you find a market that you can get on at this time of year, then get ready to celebrate if you cover your rent.

Good markets are very rare these days, that is why we commute 90 miles a day round trip to stand on bury market, and it took us 2 years before we managed to move onto a prime stall and start makeing profit.
                          And dont forget the £1500 shutter fee for the stall.
                          The continuous battle with council bureaucracy.
                          Joining in the leagle battle to stop the big developers buying the site to build another shopping center
                          The backstabing other traders that see you making a bit and try to copy you
                          The £25 fine if you break a rule ie. not opening your stall on time,even if youve been sitting in a 15mile jam on the M62 for a hour

God Ive just realised Im ranting! and could go on forever.

No its not an easy option, and on top of all this you have to deal with the bloody CUSTOMERS
                          And he loves it so much he wouldn't do any other job!
                          Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Think a lot of people think the same , but if you have talant you should use it , be a shame not to !!

Originally posted by NorthernChancer View Post
                            its a great idea but my problem is approching ppl, i get scard and think my stuff is not great ..

Considering ive completed a degree in textiles, i just cant do the buisness part ... my confidnce is shocking, i would love to do teach acraft course but its my confidance again arrrr annoying....

Comment

I know im shocking, coming on forums like this builds your confidance..

You should see the amount of stuff ive made its a shame to just put in a box and forget about..
                              Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X