Thanksgiving Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanksgiving Day

Not sure how many of you know that hubby is an American and since being back in the UK these last 3 years and struggling like crazy, this is the first year we are now celebrating Thanksgiving Day.

We have invited two of our closest friends who are having time off from work (its a Thursday) which is great and now I have to get my thinking cap on and see what needs to be cooked in the good old American way

Turkey is no trouble as a lot of other things but I've come unstuck with pumpkin pie and yes I know it could be made but to be honest I dont want to mess about with it!

I have just ordered an autumn leaf garland to decorate the fireplace and on the look out for other decorations I can use around the dining room so any suggestions would be fantastic please

Pauline
    Personalised Wedding Cake Toppers

Hello Pauline,

My husband is American too (A Kentuckian) so I picked his brains a bit.

He said you are on the right track with the Garland - pretty much anything Orange or Red that reminds one of "Fall".

We also felt that (in the spirit of Thanksgiving) you should ask your guests to bring something along, as this would be the American Way of giving thanks to the host and they may not realise it.

In the way of food we felt you should include bread rolls in the 'Biscuit' style (maybe corn bread or even cheesey scones would be a close match). He said Macaroni and Cheese but I'm not sure your Englsh guests would appreciate it with their Turkey!

A cornucopia of vegetables - either cooked or not depending on how much you like veg...

You could try Sweet Potato or Pecan pie instead of Pumpkin Pie..

My mouth is watering now...

HTH

Jude
    for bath bomb, soap & Skincare kits
    plus Soap Base, Bath Bomb Ingredients, Butters,
    Oils and packaging for Bath & Body Products

Comment

My first hubby was American - from what I can remember you can also have cranberry sauce, blueberry pie/apple pie. mmmmmmmmmmm sweet potato with marshmallows......yum.
      www.corrigancards.com

A mind is like a parachute........it only functions when open

Comment

lol....thanks for that and yes the list does seem endless and listening to hubby and his selection it brings it all back to me when we used to eat out buffet style in America and how they mix things together!

My friends would think I was crazy serving mac and cheese with turkey and roast pots, lol and even crazier if I served salad as hubby is suggesting!

I remember the first time I served hubby tinned tomotoes with his breakfast and he looked at me gone out but loved it!

I have found certain american food shops on ebay and on line but they charge stupid prices for their goods.

Mind you it is hubby's birthday the day before thanksgiving and I was actually thinking of getting him a basket of american goodies as can just imagine his face when he opened it!

Looking at ideas on line now to use up some of the hundreds of fallen leaves in our garden!

Thanks again!

Comment

I remember how excited my husband was when we discovered Reeses Cups in Asda....aaaah Reeses Cups..

My husband had the same reaction to Tuna & Sweetcorn on Pizza as yours had to tinned Tomatoes...aren't they a funny bunch?

Comment

Jelly in squares served with the salad buffet - ewwwww

and salad before the meal not with the meal.

Comment

Oh yes....the salad before the meal.

When I was over there visiting my Husband (to be, then) we went to the Red Lobster and I asked for Coleslaw, thinking I could eat it with my prawn salad and my husband asked for a green salad before his fish dish. I was gobsmacked when the waiter brought out 'starters' and mine was a tiny tub of coleslaw all on it's own......

I let it sit there waiting for my main course so I could eat the two together and the waiter tried to take it away twice...

My husband says his family have this revolting jelly dessert with roasted marshmallows on it....I don' think he recommends it though..

Comment

It's given me some ideas too, Pauline!

Comment

Working...
                X