Bought in items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought in items

Do many people buy in things to sell on their websites, Mainly ready made pendants or rings? Do you feel it kind of takes away the sense of hand made?
    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

We buy in certain items for the stall. Mainly things like chip-bead bracelets and necklaces. This is purely because its just so much cheaper to buy them than it is to make them especially when you add on the time factor. We also buy "pendants" and add them onto chains, thongs etc.

If you question whether they're hand made, technically they are cos we made the end product by putting the pendant and the chain together although I fully accept that "hand-made" should really mean totally hand-made so many would see this as cheating. But if you think logically, many of us buy our beads, charms etc then add them onto chains so if you wanted to be pedantic you could question the ethics in that if you don't make the charms etc personally.

I would NEVER buy something in and try to pass it off as one of my own. I do however purchase things like dichroic glass cabs and then add the bail but I always explain this to the customers - stating that someone makes them for me, so they are hand-made but not by us.

I also stock jewellery made by other artists and always display an information card about the designer so the customer is under no illusions.

I personally think its ok to "buy in" providing you don't try to pass it off as your own work. When all's said and done, we are all trying to make money so you should explore every avenue open to you.
    Last edited by auntynet; 24-09-2008, 12:58 AM.
    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

No apart from the raw materials, such as beads fabric etc to make up into things, I do not re-sell ready made items.
      I can understand that sometimes it is cheaper to by in than make but I feel that would detract from what I am trying to achieve and the satisfaction I get from finishing a product. I even make my own calico bags and add my logo, my prices for making come out slightly higher than ready made but again it is the satisfaction thing and I love to make and design new ideas.

Comment

I make all my candles myself but the candle holders, dishes etc are all bought in - obviously I couldn't do them myself as I would need to learn how to blow glass, form glass, metal or whatever the holder is made from and that would take a teeny bit of time and learning.

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
        Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
        www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

I really think it's a personal choice. I fully understand it when it's situations like those mentioned above by Lisa and Auntie Net. It goes with their business types. Aunty nets turn over is a lot greater than mine, so I actually buy my chips on temporary strings and then restring them to different lengths etc, but if I was in a position to sell more then perhaps I'd buy them pre strung.
          At the beginning of my jewellery selling i used to buy in some beaded jewellery and silver bangles from India to suppliment my range, but I found that the standards were not in keeping with my own and it was also taking away the hand made ethics. I stopped selling them after three months and since then have had the only made by me standard.
          full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

I don't buy in any finished goods to sell, as one of the featurs I 'plug' with my jewellery is that no 2 pieces will ever be the same, so if I bought in, it would be difficult to claim that.

All of my jewellery is put together by me, although as someone mentioned, how far can you take 'handmade'. I don't make my own beads (except for some polymer clay ones), or chain, or findings - I just take the raw materials and put them together.

Some people may say that isn't 'really' handmade, but to me it is. Not many people are in a position to make their own raw materials.

Claire
            Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
            Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
            www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

I have a few dichroic pendants and a few bought in pendants but always tell the customer that they are not made by me. If the pendants are already on a thong I will often change it to one of my own with sterling findings if they are SP, or put it on a beaded necklace.
              It is very tempting to buy ready made jewellery especially if it is a good price and there is nothing wrong with that at all, as long as you don't try and pass it off as your own. If people like something then they will buy it whether it is made by you or in a factory somewhere.
              Most sellers separate their handmade items and bought in jewellery on their websites, as in 'the peruvian range' or the tibetian range' etc.

Melanie

Comment

I buy a lot of blank wooden items or parts to decorate as my craft is the decoration through pyrography. If I had the room, time and money to manufacture my own items, then I would to some extent, but I would still use blanks so that I had time to burn to my heart's content.

Si.
                Wood Tattoos
                Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
                Facebook
                Flickr
                Twitter

Comment

I can see where you are coming from Handcrafted.

I use large pendents that I attach ribbon or leather to to make a necklace and this isn't really being creative, which is what is the important thing! Creativity is something we all have and use in different ways. It is our speciality if you like our creativity!!

I was once next to someone who was at a craft fair and only had bought in items, this annoyed me a little as I had spent time and effort and care over my items.
                  http://lilacstarcrafts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Firstly can I say how shocked I am that Wood tatoos does not grow his own trees
                    And I will admit that the silver wire I use for wrapping! well it may come as a shock but I didnt dig it up myself, or smelt it, or even draw it.
                    The point is, as has been said how far can you take it
                    I prefer to use the term "hand created" meaning, I can take a lump of rock that noone would look twice at and turn it into a loved piece of jewelry that someone will cherish.
                    I can also take a cheap trashy piece of junk jewelry, rip it apart and make 20 earrings or a nice piece out of it
                    Now is this recycling or creating/ is it hand made, or hand modified.
                    I truely think, that as long as what you sell is unique to you, then that is all that really matters
                    Come on and argue my points, and lets define what it is that we really do

Comment

Originally posted by ladyluckjewellery View Post
                      I don't buy in any finished goods to sell, as one of the featurs I 'plug' with my jewellery is that no 2 pieces will ever be the same, so if I bought in, it would be difficult to claim that.

All of my jewellery is put together by me, although as someone mentioned, how far can you take 'handmade'. I don't make my own beads (except for some polymer clay ones), or chain, or findings - I just take the raw materials and put them together.

Some people may say that isn't 'really' handmade, but to me it is. Not many people are in a position to make their own raw materials.

Claire
                      I was having a debate with my little sis about that one, I think we settled on 'handcrafted' if you use other components in your work, and 'handmade' if they are all yours, such as lampworked or fimo beads.

Comment

I tend to use the term 'reconstructed' with alot of my handmade things, as alot of it is made from old clothes, jewellery ect!
                        But if I do have things that I've made from scratch as well.

I think it depends on the person, I wouldnt want to spend £20 on a necklace that someone had just threaded a charm onto, unless it was exceptionaly high quality, Id prefer to spend £20 on something that had clearly had alot of time spent on it, like a very embellished charm bracelet.

But then to people who do enjoy crafting and do it alot, its obvious whats been made with love and time and what hasnt! To someone whos never crafted before, they may think that a chain with a bought in pendant threaded on is amazing!!

I have compliments all the time for things Ive just bodged together before Ive left the house! And i almost feel like im conning them!! But they dont know any better so they think its amazing!!

Rudi
                        (yet another ridiculously long ramble!!)

Comment

I wasnt saying that it was wrong to buy stuff in. I was only asking!
                          Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

On one of my sites, www.craftshapes.co.uk we buy in lots of wooden craft shapes. We are a major supplier of these kind of shapes in the UK to crafters.

Sometimes making your own components or craft parts just isn't viable. I think using a mixture of bought in and hand crafted items is just fine and dandy. At the end of the day it is horses for courses, you should create crafts using the tools and resources that you want to. If someone next door wants to use a completely different set of resources or different methods of production then that's fine too.

It's all creativity, at different levels and in different styles and it shoudl be encouraged 100% in my opinion. It's still going to be better than some mass produced shop bought item that has had very little human creative input!

Steve
                            Handmade woodcrafts - relaunching soon.
                            www.kipperworkshops.com[COLOR=Blue]
                            Best range of wooden craft shapes and cutouts.[SIZE=2]

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                              I was having a debate with my little sis about that one, I think we settled on 'handcrafted' if you use other components in your work, and 'handmade' if they are all yours, such as lampworked or fimo beads.
                              A good way of defining it.

Originally posted by kipper workshops View Post

It's all creativity, at different levels and in different styles and it shoudl be encouraged 100% in my opinion. It's still going to be better than some mass produced shop bought item that has had very little human creative input!

Steve
                              And that's exactly what we're all tying to teach people.
                              Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Working...
                              X