Help with finding wires for hanging mobile decoration please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with finding wires for hanging mobile decoration please

Am not sure when you stop being new and progress up to the grown up section. I have assumed that it is on your second thread, so here I am.
    My task is to produce some hanging mobiles to go in a nursery ( the mobiles are of the decorative variety, not the " Hello I'm on the train and speaking so loud that everyone on the carriage can hear me" variety). The problem is trying to find the metal hangers that the figures are suspended from. I need two sizes per mobile. Please don't say bend metal coathangers as this is neither practical nor gives a very professional appearance ( at least if you have banana fingers like me). Any ideas?
    www.glowbiles.com. Real Glow-In-The-Dark decorations

Hi there
    Can't think of the 'official' name for it but how about crafting wire. It is tough enough to hold it's shape but soft enough to be bent or twisted into shape.
    Hope this helps!!
    My Blog
    Twitter
    Facebook

Comment

http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/product_171240007.htm they also do a mobile ring.
      "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
      my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

Originally posted by wastril View Post
        Am not sure when you stop being new and progress up to the grown up section. I have assumed that it is on your second thread, so here I am.

Hey Peeps - A real live grown up here! Sometimes they can be a bit thin on the ground around here.

What's it like being all growed up? I can't wait for me to be all growed up.
        Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Annette

You'll never be growed up so quit trying.....hehe

sheeeesh yud think with a handle like Auntynet that she'd be growed up wunt ya?
          Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

I have been making mobiles for many years now and as you have dismissed old coat hangers of which over the years I have used quite a few it depends on the size style and weight of your mobile what wire would be used. for small or light items then there are quite a range of thicknesses of craft wirefor bigger more robust balance arms I have use coat hangers even chain link fencing tension wire the mos common wire I use for balance arms I bought from a suspended ceiling company, it is quite thin and easy to shape. To get it straight clamp one end in a vice and the other end in a drill lean back and give it a spin untill it is lovely and straight. any other ?? give me a shout, I will be pleased to help

Comment

I used really thin dowel for the top cross of a mobile recently and then hung the shapes from tiger tail.

You could even use an old embroidery hoop inner and drill holes in to tie your objects to?

Comment

Working...
              X