Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling All Leather Workers - Strange Request

Calling all Leather Workers

I am searching for a leather worker for a spe******t item to be made. I run a dog water rescue training group for Leonbergers (like Newfoundlands but bigger) and have found it impossible to find a leather worker who can, or who is prepared, to make the harnessess needed for the dogs to work and train in.

I have searched the internet in vain for a suitable replacement and you can find some synthetic versions that would do the job but are no where as good as the leather ones. The current person who makes our harnesses is so busy he can't help us. He usually makes them for about £55. Soooooo. Anyone out there interested in heping us out, can you contact me for futher information.

It would help if you live somewhere near the Wiltshire Area but I am happy to travel in order to secure the right person for the job.

Many thanks in advance for considering my request.

Becki B

Hi Becki,

I'm afraid I can't help directly with your request as I make jewellery (unless you want a sparkly beaded harness!! ) but I am a member of a dog owners forum and I'm sure someone on there has a shop selling harnesses etc if I recall correctly.

A lot of people on there also work their dogs so someone may be able to help you. There are quite a few with Leo's too

The site is www.champdogsforum.co.uk

HTH

Claire
    Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
    Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
    www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

I had some leather items made up for me a few years ago by a saddler who has a shop at the top of Shirley High street Southampton for a low rider bike I was making, I gave him a sketch of what I wanted and showed him what the parts were for and the finished pieces were better than I'd imagined them, every thing was 1st class and the tooling on the luggage roll matched the paintwork spot on.

Comment

Hi guys

Thanks claire, a sparkly diamond harness would be lovely, not sure on the practical side, or how my boy would feel about wearing it! I'm already a member of the champdogs, we have probably chatted on the forum there about something, but thanks, I didn't think to try there! I must be getting old. I shall probably try to post a note there too, someone may know of a leather worker who may be able to help.

Hi Shiner - I have also tried several saddlers, but most of them are fairly large concerns and so far have quoted me a lot of money to make what I am after. I need to find a small saddler who wants an unusual project. I shall be happy to contact the same person you used if you can give me their name. Thanks.

This is a great forum, I had no idea it existed. So many wonderful hobbies too.

BeckiB

Comment

There's definitely at least one leatherworker on this forum, as I've chatted with him here... I'll go look up his name & site for you in a mo...
          Cheers,
          Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
          Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Yup, that's it... try PM-ing Bill, who posts here as "satchelman" - he makes all sorts of quality leatherwork, and he's a very nice guy, too.

There's also another leatherworker joined here recently, posting as "The Gamekeeper", who might be able to help you.
            Cheers,
            Scorch

Comment

Your very kind, thank you very much, I shall PM as you suggest.

Thanks

BeckiB

Comment

No problem - if you don't get Bill, let me know and I can email him to contact you...
                Cheers,
                Scorch

Comment

Hi Becki

Did you find a leather worker in the end because i want one too!

Anything you can pass on I would be grateful for

Wez

Comment

try PM-ing Bill, who posts here as "satchelman" - he makes all sorts of quality leatherwork, and he's a very nice guy, too.

There's also another leatherworker joined here recently, posting as "The Gamekeeper", who might be able to help you.
                    Cheers,
                    Scorch

Comment

Working...
                    X