Wire wrapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire wrapping

Has any one used a 'Wigjig' or a 'Thing a ma jig' to make patterns, or, jewellery etc. out of wire? If so, would you recommend them, or are there any better alternatives and are there any good instruction books?
    Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

You can buy various jigs. I have a wig jig just an acrylic sheet with holes in and some pegs would work.

All you ever want to know about wire work and more. http://www.wigjig.com/index.html
    "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
    my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

Thanks Goldy1, do you find it easy to use?
      Jayne

Comment

I made these napkin rings out of pewter sheet using pegs placed in holes that I had drilled into MDF. It was pretty easy so I would imagine that working with wire would be even easier.

Si.

Wood Tattoos
        Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
        Facebook
        Flickr
        Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by woodtattoos View Post
          I made these napkin rings out of pewter sheet using pegs placed in holes that I had drilled into MDF. It was pretty easy so I would imagine that working with wire would be even easier.

Si.

They look wonderful
          Jayne

Comment

I have also used nails in wood to make wire shapes with. the advantage of jig is you can change shapes easy. takes a bit of practice but is easy to make lots of shapes. I also have the coil maker too. the only reason I bought the m was because I was in the USA and hey were cheap.
            "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
            my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

I have the metal thingamyjig, and have used it to make a lot of the shapes that I have then made into jewellery. I find the hardest bit is getting the wrap around to lie flat, but now use my pliers to 'persuade' the wire to slide down the peg and lie flat.

I also have the coiling gizmo, I just love making coils, and then making jewellery out of them, have also used a piece of coiled metal on the jig to make a more interesting pendant.

This was the coil that was also worked on the jig
              www.jos-beaded-designs.com

Comment

Hi Jayne
                I have a home made jig for shaping wire it is based on the shop bought ones but bigger. for making repetition as well as intricate shapes some of the things I have made on it would be very tricky or a lot of wasted time measuring and marking without it

Comment

I have a small shop-bought jig. It's just an acrylic pegboard with metal pegs, but to be honest it would be easier if the pegs were taller as the wire slides up quite easily. That's probably just me though and I should persevere more with it

Comment

Thank you all, so much, you've given me loads to think about
                    Jayne

Comment

Let us know how you get on won't you

Comment

Originally posted by Cambiel View Post
                        Let us know how you get on won't you
                        I certainly will
                        Jayne

Comment

Sorry I'm a bit late for this but I have a plastic thing ma jig and it's really good and was soooo cheap - maybe worth a go anyway? I used it for some quite think wire pendants which I added jump rings on and put on ribbons - just need to finish off the ends to make into necklaces...I'll get round to it....one day!!
                          Caroline

Diamond Ideas

http://www.diamondideas.co.uk/

http://twitter.com/DiamondIdeas01

Diamond Ideas is also on facebook!

Go on, add some sparkle to your project!

Comment

Working...
                          X