Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I go about getting a website?

Hi everyone

I have been thinking of setting up my own website for a little while but have been put of by a lot of peoples negative comments.

I am ok with computers but really don't have a clue about all this website designing and stuff. I was just wondering how people set up theirs or who they went to for help. Also would people advise setting up some kind of online payment system on their site or get people to send cheques or some other kind of payment method.
    Setting up a website seems like such a good idea until you sit down and make a list and then its like whoa!!!!

Please help

Emma-Lou
    My Blog
    Twitter
    Facebook

MrSite is good for beginners, as it has lots of templates and lets you integrate paypal for payments.

There are also lots of web hosts that offer their own templates, not sure about payments though.

If you're a bit more confident, you could always design your own site using an application such as Adobe GoLive, or even just Word, then just upload via ftp to whatever domain you buy. You need a hosting package for this.

I started with MrSite, then my partner designed my current site, but did it so that it was very easy for me to update and upload myself. Once you get going, it's not really as hard as you think it's going to be.

Carol
    Sparklez.co.uk
    Handmade Jewellery

Comment

I did mine from a free web template (but watch out for the images as my getty thread will tell). My first site I created totally from scratch using notepad and a bit of html knowledge. It was okay to start with.

Mr Media (0103media) does web design as his day job you could have a word with him when he gets back his hols.

Hth.

Lisa

Bowed Over
      Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
      www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

My main shop is all through wahm.co.uk (it is for work at home mums). I was really really happy with it and the support is great. My other site (an advice site on cloth nappies) I did myself using html as I didn't need anything too fancy and no selling.
        http://www.craftynclothy.com

http://www.folksy.com/shops/craftynclothy

http://craftynclothy.blogspot.com/

Comment

It's definitely not as difficult as it might seem, I'd say the best ones are mrsite or microsoft office live (this one is free, too! )

Helen

Visit my blog!
          http://peggycrafts.blogspot.com/

www.peggycrafts.co.uk

Etsy shop:
          www.peggycrafts.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Emmalou View Post
            Hi everyone

I have been thinking of setting up my own website for a little while but have been put of by a lot of peoples negative comments.

I am ok with computers but really don't have a clue about all this website designing and stuff. I was just wondering how people set up theirs or who they went to for help. Also would people advise setting up some kind of online payment system on their site or get people to send cheques or some other kind of payment method.
            Setting up a website seems like such a good idea until you sit down and make a list and then its like whoa!!!!

Please help

Emma-Lou
            Good luck,,,i hope it all works out for you xx jo xx

http://kinglakescrafts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Emma-Lou
              I have had my website running for quite a while, and its a lot of hardwork getting all the pictures of your stuff, and wording etc, but i used a local company batteredbug who built my website. They bought my name and do my hosting for me. I gave them my paypal details which allowed them to set up my basket, so customers can actually buy from my website. There is no monthly fee with paypal, you just pay a fee to them for them doing the transaction.

Your most welcome to visit my website and have a look and contact me if I can help in anyway! Or just give david at batteredbug an email and ask him [email protected]

Hope this is of help!

debbie
              www.justoneoff.co.uk
              Debbie
              www.justoneoff.co.uk

Comment

Hi Emma Lou!

I'm really Not very good at computers so when I wanted to make my website I went on evening class were we worked with Dreamweaver. It's a really good program although you might need some help getting started - I know I did. But now it can be almost as creative to update the website as it is making dolls - ALMOST I said..
                If you have access to Dreamweaver I recommend it although a lot of the other ways listed here seem more straight forward - I wish I had known about this forum before.

Good Luck!

http://www.by-julia.com

Comment

I'm a mrsite user too and its been really good for me, its easy to set up and use and makes quite a good looking site. Also it has the shopping card already built in. Another good thing is that it doesn't cost the earth to do (about £20) just a little time and some good pictures!!!.

Have fun.
                  by Nicki
                  www.bynicki.co.uk

Home Decorations & Gifts with Country Style

Comment

Originally posted by bynicki View Post
                    I'm a mrsite user too ...
                    Same here. Very useful for people who aren't the most experienced on the Net and all things WorldlyWidelyWebbly. I'm going to be overhauling my site soon to finally upgrade the gallery images and the shop section.
                    Wood Tattoos
                    Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
                    Facebook
                    Flickr
                    Twitter

Comment

hi there

my hubby designs basic websites for crafters for 50.00, he has done mine which is in the process of being updated. he has also done everlasting designs as well as others.

i can send you the websites if you wanna have a look and see some of his other work. he has done websites for crafters but a lot of them have closed down or the bsuinesses have ben sold.

feel free to pm me.

vicky
                      Eternal Flame Candles
                      www.eternalflamecandles.co.uk

Hand Made in Scotland

Comment

I have MrSite and Microsoft office websites and I must admit MrSite was a lot easier to set up than the microsoft one. Also with microsoft the website is free any addons you might want like email is all extra and not that cheap.
                        Pauline

GroovyCart
                        Folksy
                        MISI
                        Ehive

Comment

Thanks everyone.
                          I'm going to have a look at most of the suggestions and then based on myneeds,hopefully go with the one that best meets my requirements.

Watch this space!!
                          My Blog
                          Twitter
                          Facebook

Comment

Hmmm where to start

I jumped head first into the net 6 years ago and I am astonished at what I have been induced to learn during these years.

You could of course start with a blog, which is a mini website in itself.

I have a lot of fun now with my websites, I still know very little html, but the software I use dovetails into my lack of knowledge very well, it lets me get on with what I like doing which is building interesting websites and tells me what to do with regard html and SEO as well.

I wish you luck on your virtual journey.\

Richard
                            For DIY gilding and antique finishes to gold leaf.
                            For the esoteric & unusual in bookbinding

Comment

Can anyone who hs or does use microsoft office live clarify whether you have to have U.S based email address as everytime I looked into it,it kept saying United States in brackets. I'm assuming that there is a UK alternative?!!!
                              My Blog
                              Twitter
                              Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X