Allergies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergies

Is it possible to suddenly become allergic to silver? I have a lovely ring that OH got me from Tiffanys when we went to NY. Its silver and i usually wear it on my right ring finger.

Im the type that keeps having to take my jewellery on and off because of my work. These days when i have my ring on it makes the bit of my ring finger inbetween my ring and middle finger go red and itchy!! Almost like a blister. So i end up taking it off. It then begins to heal and go all flakey. Then i put the ring on again, even for a few hours and it starts again.

I used to wear rings all the time, but cheaper ones. Why does this one hurt me.....its the most expensive ring iv ever owned lol!
    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

It could possibly be coated with a rhodium plating. Some sterling silver jewellery is coated with it to help it keep its shine.

I'm the same with 18ct gold rings but I only discovered this after my DH had purchased my engagement and wedding rings. Mine got so bad that I just couldn't wear them at all and he ended up buying me a 9ct wedding ring which I have no problems with. Guess you could say I'm just a cheap kinda girl.
    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Are you always making sure you dry your hands thoroughly - what you describe sounds like dermatitis. Why not try an email to Tiffany and ask their advice?
      Chris xx
      My Website
      My Blog

Comment

A thin layer of clear varnish on the inside of the ring may create enough of a barrier to allow you to wear it.
        I became very allergic to nickel in my ears ( only) and now I can't wear sterling or gold as well as anything plated. The only earrings I can wear are fine silver.
        Melanie

Comment

which soap?

Hi

It wouldn't be the metal if its from Tiffany's.

Sounds like dermatitis. Have you changed your washing up liquid or soaps - my mum got it when she changed washing up liquid. She went back to rubber gloves and removing her rings before washing hands and it soon cleared up.
          jacksonhen

www.jacksonhennigan.co.uk
          www.maiaweddingsandevents.co.uk

Comment

You can develop allergies at any time in your life. people can be allergic to gold, silver and anything else.
            Sterling silver is actually only 92.5% silver If it was pure silver the metalic properties needed in jewellery like stregnth would be compromised. The silver is therefore mixed with other metals to add stregnth etc. Even from Tiffanies, this is the case (hence 925!)
            You could try putting a layer of varnish on the ring, or leave it off for six months or so and then try reintroducing it.
            Dermitis is simply the skin reacting to something. Keep the area clean and well moisturised with a simple non fragranced lotion.
            full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

I had the same trouble when I got married and my new ring was causing me lots of trouble. It is beautiful so I was upset I couldn't wear it. I wear it now but have to be careful of soap and detergent getting underneath it. That's what causes it for me. I always wear rubber gloves washing up, cleaning etc but on the odd occasion I don't, it starts again. Also wearing my ring under gardening gloves does it. It must be when my hands perspire inside the gloves.I always remove the ring when I garden.The other day I reached into the washing up water with bare hands and it has flared up again!! Sue xx
              http://susieQinblogland.blogspot.com

Comment

You may have developed the allergy over prolonged exposure to the metal, also, you can develop allergies at any time in your life.

Is it just this one ring you are allergic to, or are you allergic to others?

It would be a shame if you were allergic to this one only
                www.beadlab.com

Comment

Wow guess it happens to a few of us. I havnt worn any other rings in ages. To be honest i hadnt worn many until i got this one. I just got annoyed with having to take them off all the time when i went to work.

It did used to flare up when i would do the washing or something so i took it off for ages, until a few days ago where i remembered i had it and i put it on and it flared up again.

I think il let it heal then i might put on a different ring (i have loads even though i dont wear them!) to see if it does the same thing.
                  Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

that's really weird, I think the layer of varnish is a good idea, also maybe putting a barrier on your skin with something like E45 cream, this may also help the itching.

Visit my blog!
                    http://peggycrafts.blogspot.com/

www.peggycrafts.co.uk

Etsy shop:
                    www.peggycrafts.etsy.com

Comment

It may just be that your feeling a bit run down at the moment? I usually get sensitive to things when im a bit stressed, even if i dont know i am! I have a rubber allergy and im usually ok, but my skin always flares up if I have alot on!
                      Maybe leave it off for a while, give your skin time to heal properly, using E45 is also a good idea, or any cream (un perfumed) vaseline maybe, to protect your skin.
                      Rudi

Comment

An allergic reaction can take different symptoms... but basically it is a problem of the immune system that is more common in more developed countries. Basically we produe an antibody which was originally around to combat parasites (worms, etc) and as we have less parasites here than in say Africa, the antibody attacks something that is usually harmless (bee stings, food, metals, rubber, wool, sticky plasters) and that then causes the defences to try to "kill" this intrusion. So you can have rashes, swellings and an increased amount of activity in the area of the allergen. (That's the science bit). To become allergic to anything you have to come into contact with it at least once. The 1st contact will not produce the allergic reaction as the body has not produced any antibodies towards it.

I'm allergic to fabric plasters, and got a nasty itchy spot on a toe once from wearing one. Now if its hot and my feet get a bit sweaty (sorry for that!) the reaction still comes back even if I haven't been wearing a plaster there for 10 years or more!!!
                        View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

If you are allergic to the ring, your skin will react everywhere the skin is in contact with the metal, rather than just in one place. What you describe is, as others have said, more consistent with an irritant dermatitis. Often caused by water believe it or not. There are several things you could try:
                          • Make sure your skin is thoroughly dry after washing, especially under the ring;
                          • Use a good moisturising hand cream to strengthen and protect the skin (E45 is good);
                          • If you use liquid soap, try using one that is SLS free (it won't strip quite so much of the essential oils from your skin);
                          • Use gloves to avoid contact with cleaning solutions.
                          If it doesn't settle I would see your GP as you may need something a bit stronger just to settle it properly.
                          Hope this helps - as an Occupational Health Nurse I see a lot of these kind of skin reactions
                          Cathy xx
                          http://folksy.com/shops/Cathy
                          http://www.recycledbaglady.co.uk/
                          http://owlfamilydiary.blogspot.com/
                          I don't have a short attention span, I ... Ooh look, there's a chicken!

Comment

Originally posted by indri View Post
                            An allergic reaction can take different symptoms... but basically it is a problem of the immune system that is more common in more developed countries. Basically we produe an antibody which was originally around to combat parasites (worms, etc) and as we have less parasites here than in say Africa, the antibody attacks something that is usually harmless (bee stings, food, metals, rubber, wool, sticky plasters) and that then causes the defences to try to "kill" this intrusion. So you can have rashes, swellings and an increased amount of activity in the area of the allergen. (That's the science bit). To become allergic to anything you have to come into contact with it at least once. The 1st contact will not produce the allergic reaction as the body has not produced any antibodies towards it.

I'm allergic to fabric plasters, and got a nasty itchy spot on a toe once from wearing one. Now if its hot and my feet get a bit sweaty (sorry for that!) the reaction still comes back even if I haven't been wearing a plaster there for 10 years or more!!!

Hi
                            I'm allergic to them two. You should have seen the state of me after c/section!
                            Is it a Coventry thing?
                            jacksonhen

www.jacksonhennigan.co.uk
                            www.maiaweddingsandevents.co.uk

Comment

One thing- 925 silver is not the same the world over. The EU countries have stopped the use of all nickle, except the very slow release type.
                              This can be a problem when buying from the rest of the world.
                              Im not sure of the regs. in North america, but that ring could have a higher nickle content than you would find in this country.
                              The best 925 to specify (ive been told by an expert) is 925 argentinimum (spelt something like that) this also has the benefit of not tarnishing without being coated with anything
                              Otherwise just tell your hubby that you are alergic to everything but the finest gold! then send him back to NY

Comment

Working...
                              X