Salt dough cooking times!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salt dough cooking times!

Please can someone give me some advise, I have made some salt dough this afternoon and tried cooking it in the oven at 1/2 gas mark but has taken hours, can someone tell me how to speed the process up and what gas mark should I be using?

Many thanks and look forward to hearing from yuo soon

Lucy
    Lucy Ward
    The Little Kettle Company

The only salt dough I have cooked is with a troup of Cub Scouts with the dough stuck on the end of a stick hanging over a camp fire.
    I bet that doesn't help does it.
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Oh c**p your meant to cook it......
      Opps ....

I put mine on plate warmer setting or after i've cooked something and it has cooled, its about 3-6 hrs and i find if i do it any quicker it puffs up but that might be the PVA i stick in it to make it more waterproof. I've only did this for token things I make though.....

"Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies."
      www.fairyalchemy.co.uk
      fairyalchemy.blogspot.com

Comment

Oh just reread that post by Critchley that stuff is firebread its a fab quick way to cook dough at the campside.. It's nice stuff if your camping and forcing the kids to do the nature stuff.... Next skinning rabbit but I dont think i'll put the pictures here lol....x

"Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies."
        www.fairyalchemy.co.uk
        fairyalchemy.blogspot.com

Comment

I cook mine on the rings, usually takes no more than 10 minutes to clump together.
          www.blottedcopybook.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by FairyAlchemy View Post
            Oh just reread that post by Critchley that stuff is firebread its a fab quick way to cook dough at the campside.. It's nice stuff if your camping and forcing the kids to do the nature stuff.... Next skinning rabbit but I dont think i'll put the pictures here lol....x
            Ughhh. Shudder. Perrish the thought!
            Carol
            God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for replying guys, how do you cook on the rings?

Lucy
              Lucy Ward
              The Little Kettle Company

Comment

Hi Lucy

You can microwave salt dough ornaments - here's a link
                Personally, I preferred the long s-l-o-w oven-drying process, but it's ages since I made any.

You could try PMing CurlyFries who makes fantastic salt dough creations!
                Life's not a race, do take it slower. Hear the music before the song is over.

Sue

Bags Embroidery & Knitting

Comment

Hiya,
                  I usually cook mine overnight on about number 1 or 2 ...you can turn it up very slightly near the end but keep an eye on the colour changing....Have just returned to saltdough after a long break and can;t wait to get started again.

Deb x
                  Please drop by "Debbies Dough"
                  www.debbies-dough.co.uk

Comment

When the dough has cooked, could you drop fragrant oils, on the back of it, to scent it?
                    Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

cooking salt dough

At one of my teaching placements we made cakes to put in the role play area (so they could be used for days) and we cooked the salt dough for about 3 hours on gas mark 6. And left it to cool for the rest of the day, then decorated the salt dough with paint the following day.

We also mixed some cooking herbs into the salt dough mixture to give it a frangrance when cooked.

Comment

Working...
                      X