Halloween gifts what do you do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halloween gifts what do you do

I know its still ages away but do you make little treats for halloween or do you just buy sweets from the shops and give them away to any one that comes trick or treating. I must say i love making little gift boxes and putting the sweets in them but not sure what to do this year yet

I Love My Computer Because My Friends Live In It

We ignore the knocks at the door.... this year we're planning on being out so they don't cover our car in stuff, like they did last year (and on all the other cars in the street!).
    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

I just buy loads of sweets to give out - to be honest the kids round our way wouldn't appreciate what had gone into making special "gift bags".

OMG indri - the kids round your way sound like proper little horrors!

Have to say we don't really have a problem even though we live just on the outskirts of what many consider to be quite a rough estate. It may be because a lot of my neighbours are a bit older than us and don't really get into the spirit of Halloween but I'm just a big kid at heart and I always dress up the window and have a door plaque and I have been known to dress up myself just to answer the door to them.

For the last 2 years DS no1 (aged 23!) and myself have had a pumpkin carving competition and we ask the kids which one is best - score is currently 2 - 0 to me. Although to be fair he's only ever done 2 and I've had years of practice.
      Last edited by auntynet; 14-08-2008, 12:22 PM.
      Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Originally posted by auntynet View Post
        OMG indri - the kids round your way sound like proper little horrors!
        It was just one group of what must have been about 10 year olds that decided that squirting random stuff on cars was the spirit of halloween. We didn't have that problem the year before. Luckily it washed off, but I wasn't best pleased with having to wash the car when it wasn't too bad before they got to work on the cars in the street. Thankfully we're well on the way to sorting the horrors out next door to us!
        View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

We just buy sweets. My mum is teaching assistant and used to be a lunch time superviser at the school opposite for 12 years so EVERY child who went to the school comes to our house to trick or treat!! SO wed be pretty skint (and tired!) if we made little gifts!
          But we do have a halloween party every year and there the BEST in the heighbourhood if i say so myself!
          We always have compliments at how amazing they are adn how so much effort must of gone into it! which i must say it did! We have all the decorations up about a month in advance! We do up the garden with lights and witches in trees and a dark tunnel with nasty scary things in and glow in the dark bugs and sweets ect!
          The house is absoulutely packed.
          I must say we have had a few horrible 'tricks' as it were, people stealing our carved marrows and pumkins and smashing them all up the road, egss being thrown up our stairs!! That kind of things! Not nice, but there probably just jelous that they werent invited to the party!!
          Im getting excited now!!!
          Rudi

Comment

We have a little system locally where we put a little halloween pic in the window to show that we are happy for trick or treaters to knock. Then we get all the kids together with a few adults and we only let them knock on those doors. So far this has worked really well and we all have sweets to put in goodie bags as the kids call.
            www.littlebead.blogspot.com
            www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

I made a large fabric pumpkin and a witch last year, also some small bags with drawstring, similar to mini shoe bags and filled them with sweets etc. Put in the pumpkin and then they helped themselves to a bag for a treat. We are lucky that it seems to be kept to small children accompanied with an adult I object to the teenagers calling as they only want money.

Comment

Ooo I would have to plug it for advertising and make some pumpkin rings and earings and skeleton rings for the lads and offer them to the kids and mums with a buisness card.

Comment

We decorate our house like crazy, which advertises pretty well that we are happy for any little 'uns to knock for sweets.

Now, am I going to be handing them out on my plate this year or will it sell beforehand? I've had it so long now, it must have been one of the first pieces I made!

Si.
                  Wood Tattoos
                  Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
                  Facebook
                  Flickr
                  Twitter

Comment

Si - that plate is fab. I usually buy one of those plastic pumpkins or cauldrons to put the sweets in so the kids can have a dip for something.

And with regards to giving them money - its a definite no no with me. Like you say, the teenagers usually buy a cheap plastic mask and wear it with their hoodies on just to try and get some money. When they come I always comment (jokily) that they've gotta make an effort next year if they expect a treat from me.
                    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

I never deal with trick or treaters, because I'm always out celebrating my birthday! However, when (if!) I ever grow out of partying, I expect I'll go all out in having Halloween parties at home, and go completely overboard.

Last year I had a craft stall near halloween, so stapled business cards to sweets that were eyeballs. Gruesome

Comment

I give supermarket sweets... but the kids have to reach under Boris the giant furry spider, sitting on the plate, to get them! Heheheh - it's good for them!

But I do make Halloween-y things, as I often attend the London Halloween Festival (Courtesy of my good friends at Pentacle Magazine, who let me share their stall), which is a marvellous pagan event...
                        Cheers,
                        Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
                        Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

I have bought my children up not to go around with their hands out to strangers with the underlying threat of menace if they dont part with goodies, so we have a good old british style halloween party with family and party games and of course the apple bobbing

Comment

oooh I love Halloween!!! we decorate the windows of the house, carve loads of pumpkins and then I bake eyeball fairy cakes & bat poo & slime cakes yum yum
                            We go guysing with the kids to friends houses and then home to hand out our treats
                            Ger xx

My Blog

www.cullen-crafts.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                            X