Commission charges... HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commission charges... HELP!!

I was just wondering if there is a general commission rate when it comes to handmade crafts?
    I have just made up a batch of necklaces to sell in a local tattoo shop and he will be charging me per necklace.
    I need to calculate my costs and any commission he will charge me before pricing them up.
    I dont want to do it when i get to the shop incase he over charges me and as im not experienced in this kind of thing i dont want him to take me for a ride!
    Also if the necklaces are goign to be too expensive once ive added on commision it wont be worth it anyway!
    Any help would be great!!
    cheers
    Rudi

Hi Rudi
    This is a bit of a how long is a piece of string question as the commission rates vary enormously. The highest I currently have is 40% so I add it on to what I want back when an item sells. The key is not to undercut yourself in the excitment of getting someone offering you an outlet. Why not ask him what commission he takes so that you can wotk out what they need to retail at?
    Chris xx
    My Website
    My Blog

Comment

AAAh i see ok!
      Yeh i could ask him i suppose, would make sense! Its just he hasnt seen the pieces yet and im not within meeting distance of him so if i ask him will he have a rough idea of how much he wants to take or does it all depend on the piece?
      Im not very good with this side of the crafting business!! And i cant seem to find much info on the net!Hence why i joined!
      thankyou
      Rudi

Comment

Well really its down to you to set the price as its you who knows what it cost to make and what profit you expect. If when you add their commission on they say they are too expensive perhaps look at offering a cheaper version for them. Like I said before don't undersell yourself
        Chris xx
        My Website
        My Blog

Comment

ok thankyou!!
          Well i'll just go along and see what happens then!
          Hopefully they'll sell well!!

Rudi

Comment

This bit of selling my crafts always gives me a headache as I debate prices over & over before I settle on what I'm happy with. I do the old, what I want to earn per hour & calculate how long the item took plus the materials and then add the commission. However there are somethings I make that this doesn't work for. But, I can't echo enough the don't undersell yourself mantra. Especially if you want to have a repeat business with the same outlet as they will get miffed if you suddenly increase your price later.

Comment

We buy in quite a lot from other crafters these days as we cant make enough ourselves to keep the stalls stocked. despite me keeping auntynet locked in the workshop celler every non market day but sunday! I do have to let her have a little time to do the housework.
              OK the rules are I dont buy anything in that I cant at least double the price of.
              If taking an item on commision then I ask the person what they want for it , if I can put a fair profit on that then we have a deal as long as the goods are up to standard. The % profit can be quite small as Im not laying any money out.
              It does however shock me the number of people in this business that have no idea how to cost an item, and I often have to sit down with them and work out their material cost and then say "how much do you want to make an hour" so work all this out before you approach anybody, or you will be ripped off (there are a lot of unplesant people in retail).
              Also be very aware that many retailers wil say they will take your goods sale or return, and put a fantastic price on it and take very little profit for themselves! Most likely they like the look of your stuff and know it will attract attention but the high price will prevent it selling while diverting attention to their own goods which are more sensebly priced. The bottom line is cost your stuff properly, know what you want, do not be flattered into letting someone rip you off. take a good look at what else they sell and make sure your stuff fits in with it. Get a reciept for anything that you leave 'Sale or return' and I stress this MOST IMPORTANT GET IT IN WRITING THAT THEY ARE RESPONCIBLE FOR ANY STOLEN GOODS its one of the oldest tricks to say that we didnt sell them someone must have nicked them
              OK so you can make nice jewelry! now become a business person!!
              Really good luck you will make mistakes, and get narked by the wide boys, but its worth it to turn a hobby or passion into a profit making business

Comment

Thanks guys, theres some really good advice here!
                I have almost priced everything up, i found a lot of useful information on the net over the last few days but the commisson thing was what really stumped me!!
                Hopefuly now i'll be able to get it all right!If not then at least ive learnt!
                Thankyou

Comment

Working...
                X