Exibitions, shows ect.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exibitions, shows ect.

I've paid £100 for a 1.5m show at the kent show between the 11th-13th july. When you include wages, business cards, petrol ect. it wil cost me around £400-£450.

I've spoken to a few people who've done shows before and they assure me that I will not make any money. Obviously I do not want to lose that kind of money, and I reckon I've made about £1000-£1500 worth of stock. As my products are quite small and cheap I was thinking that its the kind of thing that people will reach into their pockets for, also I am offering a personalisation service as I am bringing my machine along.

I'm of mixed feelings. On one hand there were 101'000 people last year (biggest event of its kind), and I have a prime postion for very little money. My products sell well over the internet, so why shouldn't they at a show?

However, most of the £400 is debt and I desperately need to make it back. The weather is terrible atm, I have no experience of trade stalls and I could get into a very sticky situation if I don't make my money back.

Any tips/experiences with shows?

Charlie
    http://timbertags.com/img/gallery/50130034.JPG

If it was really that many people last year, I wouldn't worry.

I did a fair earlier this year, paid 10 times what you paid and it was appalling, I made a loss. The visitors were said to be around 8,000 last year (not sure about this year).

So I reckon if the visitor number is what they claim, I guess it's quite safe. It's always daunting but once you'll be there, you'll wonder why you worried so much.

Have you got a booth, like three sided? Make sure you utilise the height, pin stuff to the wall, etc. I was told about it and could have done with a big banner. I guess you will set up the day before so make use of this time to look at other stalls in case you think you may have missed something.

Always try and talk to your potential customers, you might lose a sale if you don't. And keep smiling!

Oh and if you think you are going to sell out of one piece, keep the last one for display and take orders! That's if you have printed order forms....!
    Last edited by Bea; 09-07-2008, 11:23 PM. Reason: add more advice
    Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

Hi Charlie nice to see ya back again. I have no experiance with shows but I wish you all the luck in the world.
      Give out plenty of buisnes cards maybe even hold a little competion if people leave there e-mail addresses and you pick one or 2 out of the hat to win a prize all it needs is a box and some paper. Then you've got a mailing list to send out a news letter about your stuff. Hope that sounds clear it's late and my heads a little mussy.
      "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
      my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

Originally posted by Bea View Post
        If it was really that many people last year, I wouldn't worry.

I did a fair earlier this year, paid 10 times what you paid and it was appalling, I made a loss. The visitors were said to be around 8,000 last year (not sure about this year).

So I reckon if the visitor number is what they claim, I guess it's quite safe. It's always daunting but once you'll be there, you'll wonder why you worried so much.

Have you got a booth, like three sided? Make sure you utilise the height, pin stuff to the wall, etc. I was told about it and could have done with a big banner. I guess you will set up the day before so make use of this time to look at other stalls in case you think you may have missed something.

Always try and talk to your potential customers, you might lose a sale if you don't. And keep smiling!

Oh and if you think you are going to sell out of one piece, keep the last one for display and take orders! That's if you have printed order forms....!
        I made some A2 foam boards on which I pinned loads of pictures, newspaper cuttings and questions that I could see myself being asked a gazillion times. It all looks pretty swish.

Any idea where I can get some templates for order forms?

Originally posted by goldy1 View Post
        Hi Charlie nice to see ya back again. I have no experiance with shows but I wish you all the luck in the world.
        Give out plenty of buisnes cards maybe even hold a little competion if people leave there e-mail addresses and you pick one or 2 out of the hat to win a prize all it needs is a box and some paper. Then you've got a mailing list to send out a news letter about your stuff. Hope that sounds clear it's late and my heads a little mussy.
        I was thinking of doing a competition, whereby I auction a set of premium tags with the proceeds going to charity, yet I'm a bit nervous about the idea.
        http://timbertags.com/img/gallery/50130034.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by timbertags View Post
          I was thinking of doing a competition, whereby I auction a set of premium tags with the proceeds going to charity, yet I'm a bit nervous about the idea.
          I personaly think you will get more takers if money wasn't involved. But that's just me.
          "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
          my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

Originally posted by goldy1 View Post
            I personaly think you will get more takers if money wasn't involved. But that's just me.
            I must agree, I think people will be more likely to come and have a look if they think they are going to get something for nothing!!!

then why they are filling in the form they will b at your stall and they will be able to have a look at your stock
            and i also agree with ..oh forgotten name !!! sorry to who ever you are! that you will have there email adress to send them emails and updates so they may decide to buy again off you
            wendy xx
            my blog... http://thatpersonaltouchcards.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by mrs*h View Post
              I must agree, I think people will be more likely to come and have a look if they think they are going to get something for nothing!!!

then why they are filling in the form they will b at your stall and they will be able to have a look at your stock
              and i also agree with ..oh forgotten name !!! sorry to who ever you are! that you will have there email adress to send them emails and updates so they may decide to buy again off you
              Agree totally, everyone loves a free draw. Difficult to answer your questions about sales etc because I find that no two events are ever the same two years running. I sell smaller items - cards etc - so would never lay out more than the normal craft fair fee for a stall as I would just get depressed looking at my total of sales!! I will pay a little more if it is a local event as it is good marketing. Hope all goes well for you and we will look forward to your feedback. Hope the sun shines - about time it did.
              Cynthia
              http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

I worked the markets for some years and you have been given some very good advice there. Do make use of every inch of your stall area - behind you and above you. If your stall looks 'busy' and profitable people feel afer spending their money with you.
                Good Luck and let us know the results.
                Carol
                Carol
                God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Hi I've just started doing shows and as yet I haven't made a profit from one however they have been great for advertising and I have met fellow crafters who have helped me with contacts and ideas etc.

If you think of them as advertising and as a great oppurtunity to meet prospective new customers face to face then I think you will find that it is worth it, as how much does it actually cost these days to put an advert in a magazine??

I do a competition to win a £20 gift voucher for purchases off my website or for a commission. I end up with lots of new contacts who I can send my newsletter to. After the event I email everyone who applied to say they haven't won but offering them a discount online or at the next event and I also end up with a happy winner who will hopefully come back to me to buy lots more goodies!
                  www.sparklehandmadejewellery.co.uk

Comment

success at shows.

Stay positive, if you've got a good product then it's mostly down to visitor numbers and how you present yourself.
                    As a previous answer said, make the most of your space, if you've got any local markets have a walk round and look at all the stalls, market traders don't miss a trick. I used to work the markets as well in a previous life, no visitors =no sales. Lots of visitors could be an overwhelming success for you, don't pounce on everyone who shows interest, but don't be afraid to greet everyone and chat with them.
                    Best of luck.
                    Kev.
                    www.steampunkkaleidoscopes.com
                    www.steampunkrelics.co.uk
                    If you think you can do a thing or if you think you can't you will be right. Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                    X