This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather work

I have a pattern for a fabric shopping bag which is simple and looks as if it can be easily done in leather. Not done this before,so can anyone give a few hints on leatherwork please, or point me in the direction of some reading matter that would help. Don't want to waste the leather by experimenting!! I thought I would handstitch it with leather rather than machine it, so I need to know about the tools I would need for hole punching. I see they are for sale on ebay, but I haven't got a clue as to whether they are what I need. All advice greatfully received.

I googled "make a leather handbag" the searched within results for "tutorial" and came up with this (plus others)

http://home.alltel.net/henryh/MakingHandbag.html

Way to many pockets for me personally but it gives you the basics.
    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Thanks auntynet. Very pockety! I had thought of a very simple affair similar to a carrier bag that you get at the supermarket. Also I have tried to machine leather on my Bernina but it was hard going. I wanted to try whipstitching by hand with a leather thong as a decorative thing as well as holding the bag together. I may have to practise on the first available stationary surface. Stand still you dog.

Comment

Glad I've come across this post. I need to repair a bag (had it for 13 years and I'm not parting with it yet!) The handles are made of leather and the bag itself is one of those woven African type thingys. I need to stitch the handle back to the bag using a leather thong but what kind of needle do I need to go through the leather?

Nice to find a fellow Bernina owner by the way!
        Natalie
        website blog

Comment

Hi Nat, Not sure about using a needle at all. I think I will poke the thong through the punched hole. I will report back when I've a had a go.
          As for the Bernina, great when it goes, but it's a temperamental so and so.

Comment

Ok. Well in that case what do I need to punch the holes! (Sorry not feeling too bright today so if it's an obvious answer then I apologise!)
            Natalie
            website blog

Comment

get a pair of maun revolving punch pliers. from "Abbey saddlery" or "LePrevo" both on line and in the UK. You can also buy various types of thonging needles, both suppliers should have them. Ebay has a load of leather thonging on at the moment in different colours. Exactly what you want.

Comment

Many thanks for the info Satchelman, will go and look.

Comment

try google. Craft directory for this.
                  http://myartcreations.blogspot.com

Comment

LePrevo deffo seem to have it all. What a great site.They even have a 'how to' section which solves most of my queries and also gives me a shopping list! Thanks again Satchelman

Comment

No Problem Maggie

Comment

An awl.

Sounds to me that if you are thinking a simply whip stitching this bag, then the only tool you need, apart from a good strong needle, is an awl.

This is used to make a hole in the leather for the needle to pass through easily.

The revolving Maun hole punch would probably be easier on the hands.

Richard

P.S. What type of leather were you thinking of using?
                        For DIY gilding and antique finishes to gold leaf.
                        For the esoteric & unusual in bookbinding

Comment

searching the web would be the best option i think.

Comment

Working...
                          X