Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should you look for when buying pearl earrings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should you look for when buying pearl earrings?

Hi, I'm looking to get a pair of pearl stud earrings as a gift, and I don't know what to look for. I've seen Cultured Pearls, Freshwater Pearls, Akoya Pearls, and several other names associated with earrings. What do I look for so that I get a pair of genuine pearls from the ocean or wherever and not plastic ones or ones that are manmade (like how cubic zirconia is made- I want real pearls). I'm looking for a nice luster, a variety of precious metal backings, and a variety of backings/closures. I haven't decided what I want. Also, what is the most common size women buy because I don't want teeny tiny pearls but I'm not into that big pearl look either. I want something tasteful, elegant, and I guess, mid-sized. Oh, and where are the best places to buy pearls from (if you know of any online jewelers too that are great then I'd love to hear from you). Is Bluefly a good site? I was looking at the Akoya pearls and they seem very nice. Sorry for the excess of info. Thanks.

when buying pearls, look at shape and size and color. You can run pearls over your teeth and get a gritty feel where plastic is smooth. a pearl is perfectly round. keep that in mind

Comment

What's in a name?

How interesting that both your names are alike and you both joined the forum today!
      Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Subtle... very subtle
        Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery & Glass Fusing Blog
        Dichroic Glass Tutorials
        Wholesale Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery

Comment

d'ya mean me or the other 2 posters?
          Auntynet

Comment

No them- you pipped me to the post...we both checked out their id's at the same time. That really must be the lamest spam i've seen..all day!
            Dichroic Glass Tutorials

Comment

That Was Quick!!!!!!:d:d:d:d:d
              Auntynet

Comment

I can't sit by and watch the chinese take over. Banned.

Comment

*sings another one bites the dust*
                  Dichroic Glass Tutorials

Comment

Working...
                  X