Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casting advice needed please?

Hello everyone.
    I am new to this group and this is my first thread - any apologies if i am doing anything wrong.

What i am trying to do is to make a 2 part mold. I have an object that i would like to make a mold for.

The idea is after the mold has set or cured i wish to use that to make further castings from that.

I dont want to use silicone if i can because i will be casting using a very soft silicone. I wanted to use something firmer like a resin etc.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on what type of material i can use to make my 2 part mold from?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hi, welcome to the forum. Have you thought about using dental plaster? It is what plaster dado rails, lighting roses etc are made from as it it durable and holds detail. Much stronger than modelling plaster or plaster of Paris….I made chess sets and tiled chess boards from it years ago, they arestill in use now. Dental labs make molds for dentures etc from it.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by 3dDave View Post
      Hi, welcome to the forum. Have you thought about using dental plaster? It is what plaster dado rails, lighting roses etc are made from as it it durable and holds detail. Much stronger than modelling plaster or plaster of Paris….I made chess sets and tiled chess boards from it years ago, they arestill in use now. Dental labs make molds for dentures etc from it.

Dave.
      Hello Dave.

Thank you so much for your reply.

I have used plaster of paris in the past. The issue i found is that its rather fragile in the long run.

What i am trying to do is make a two part mold and then cast from that mold.

I thought of using silicone at a harder grade or a hareder rubber but then someone mentioned using resin.
      So, i am here searching for something suitable.

Thank you Dave for your reply - much appreciated.

Comment

If you need a decent resin, have a look at glasscastresin dot com, here in the UK. I’m pretty sure you select the grade number depending on the thickness of the item you are making.

Comment

Originally posted by 3dDave View Post
          If you need a decent resin, have a look at glasscastresin dot com, here in the UK. I’m pretty sure you select the grade number depending on the thickness of the item you are making.
          Thank you so much.

I will have a look tomorrow to see what they have.

Would i be right to use resin or is there anything better out there that no one told me about ??

Comment

Hi.

If you want a two-part mould made in something along the lines of plaster of paris, but much harder and more durable, then try 'Stonecast' powder, such as this, for example ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trustleaf-2.../dp/B00WHTHM1M

I've cast many Stonecast objects in the past and theyre still in excellent shape after many years of use and abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by amebb View Post

Thank you so much.

I will have a look tomorrow to see what they have.

Would i be right to use resin or is there anything better out there that no one told me about ??
              Look at maragon.co.uk, all densities and hardnesses of plaster and same type materials for casting from hobby to pro applications plus mold materials etc.

Dave.

Comment

Not sure if this article would help you, you can have a check: How to Make Resin Molds - Step by Step Tutorial

Comment

Working...
                X