Acrylic paint on terracotta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acrylic paint on terracotta

Hi, I am painting some terracotta pots with a metallic acrylic paint. I am just wondering how water- resistant the paint is? Will the paint run or come off if the pot (once dried) is later misted with water? (It would never be submerged in water, misting/spraying is the wettest it will get!) I’m hoping I won’t need to apply a varnish afterwards... what do you think? Thank you

Hello,

A good clue as to how resilient the paint is, is how do you wash the brushes? If it is just water and maybe soap I wouldn't think it would stand up to much water, but if it take white spirits then it should be much more resilient. But thats not always the case with all acrylics.

Why not paint a scrap of terracotta, let it dry and try it, then you will know for sure.

Hope this helps,

Shelley

Comment

Hi Shelley, very good point about the brush... I just washed the paint off the brush with warm water and it came right off. That’s while the paint was still wet though... hmm... I will experiment, as you suggest, but I need this first lot of pots ready tomorrow morning so I think I’ll enamel them just to be on the safe side. Cheers!

Comment

I think that you will have to coat it with acrylic lacquer to make it water resistant.

Comment

In my experience, acrylic and spray paint are both paints suitable for terracotta pots. For this project, I'll be painting terracotta pots with acrylic craft paint. But I have used spray paint for clay pots before too, and it works just as well.

Comment

Working...
          X