Epoxy finish on benchtop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epoxy finish on benchtop?

I am finally making a real workbench, and have used hard maple from a local sawyer for the top. It’s pretty clean, but there are a couple of oblique knots that I couldn’t avoid, so I am thinking of saturating them with marine epoxy to stabilize them. Then I thought: why not spread a thin coat of epoxy on the entire top, then finish sand? I have used epoxy for kayak building, and it will seal and strengthen the wood (not that maple is weak). I had the top flattened on a wide-belt sander at a local shop to 80 grit (too much for me to plane, even with the #8), and plan to sand to 150 grit with the random orbit. Does anyone have experience using epoxy in this way? I would hate to ruin the beauty of the sugar maple with a bum finish. Will the epoxy be a real crackly mess when the bench gets the inevitable divot from a misguided mallet or chisel?
    Last edited by Tethal; 14-08-2020, 03:05 PM.

Why would you want to put epoxy all over the top? If I'd got Hard Maple for the top then if anything I'd just coat with an oil finish just so it was easier to remove glue spills etc. Dings and divots are part of the bench's history and would be easier to remove without the epoxy finish should you so wish to.

Comment

Hi. I would only coat with clear epoxy resin if I was using it as a writing desk, light, non impact craft use etc, any tool use on it, especially hammers etc, I wouldn’t expect the finish to last long, once it is damaged, it will need attention. As Glenwood says, if it is going to receive any bumps and bangs, natural would probably be best.

Dave.

Comment

I used the sander to refinish a maple table , since epoxy resin is not resistant to heat, I remember from my own experience when the table had to be ground again for improper grinding with this resin, there are sometimes problems with cracking, but this is not critical.I found the sander easy to use and effective from https://www.bestorbitalsander.com/ .The dust collection is just okay. It will collect a good deal of dust, however there will still be dust everywhere. I used this inside of an apartment and my partner nicknamed me "little Chernobyl", after basically coating our apartment in dust. I don't think you can really avoid that though. Dust is small and is hard to contain.if you must work in an apartment like me, I suggest to do it in a small room and close all the doors. That will make clean up easier and contain the mess. You should also wear a face mask. It is especially bad to breathe in dust from sanding away wood coatings like poly. These can be very toxic.I wore gloves because the sander does make a bit of noise and feels scarily powerful in your hands. It helped buffer against the vibrations. I found that when I used the sander for a long time, my hands got really tingly. But most of the time this didn't happen. It only happened when I used it for a long time on the highest setting.The sander was very easy for me to use. Basically you have an on-off switch, a little dial which increases the strength of your sanding, and a removable bag that you twist off that collects the sawdust. I did not experience any burning or burnt odors myself.I found that if you want to eat away at some wood in a concentrated area, you can slightly tip the sander on its side and it will dig into the wood pretty well. Not sure if this could be bad for your sander, but I did that and it worked for me when I wanted to remove the burnt area of the wood that went down fairly deep. I suggest instead to get a wider range of grits. I purchased a set of sandpaper rounds ranging from 80(coarse) to 220(fine). I bought Mestool brand 125 mm 8 holes paper P-58 gold sandpaper Velcro.Overall, the sander worked really well. It nicely finished my table and I was really pleased with the results.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 4 photos.
        Last edited by Randolph; 12-01-2021, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Randolph View Post
          I used the sander to refinish a maple table , since epoxy resin is not resistant to heat, I remember from my own experience when the table had to be ground again for improper grinding with this resin, there are sometimes problems with cracking, but this is not critical.I found the sander easy to use and effective from [MOD EDIT REVIEW LINK REMOVED] .The dust collection is just okay. It will collect a good deal of dust, however there will still be dust everywhere. I used this inside of an apartment and my partner nicknamed me "little Chernobyl", after basically coating our apartment in dust. I don't think you can really avoid that though. Dust is small and is hard to contain.if you must work in an apartment like me, I suggest to do it in a small room and close all the doors. That will make clean up easier and contain the mess. You should also wear a face mask. It is especially bad to breathe in dust from sanding away wood coatings like poly. These can be very toxic.I wore gloves because the sander does make a bit of noise and feels scarily powerful in your hands. It helped buffer against the vibrations. I found that when I used the sander for a long time, my hands got really tingly. But most of the time this didn't happen. It only happened when I used it for a long time on the highest setting.The sander was very easy for me to use. Basically you have an on-off switch, a little dial which increases the strength of your sanding, and a removable bag that you twist off that collects the sawdust. I did not experience any burning or burnt odors myself.I found that if you want to eat away at some wood in a concentrated area, you can slightly tip the sander on its side and it will dig into the wood pretty well. Not sure if this could be bad for your sander, but I did that and it worked for me when I wanted to remove the burnt area of the wood that went down fairly deep. I suggest instead to get a wider range of grits. I purchased a set of sandpaper rounds ranging from 80(coarse) to 220(fine). I bought Mestool brand 125 mm 8 holes paper P-58 gold sandpaper Velcro.Overall, the sander worked really well. It nicely finished my table and I was really pleased with the results.
          Hi, you can tell suggest what sander you use but we don’t allow review sites or links to them as they basically have an option to buy at the end which equates to a sales ad which is against forum rules.

Dave, forum moderator.

Comment

Working...
          X