Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With coronavirus fully in the uk now, will crafts see a growth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With coronavirus fully in the uk now, will crafts see a growth?

Do you think more and more people will return to making their items (crafting) in light the UK coronavirus situation?

With google, facebook, Sony etc sending workers home will it lead to more time knitting, drawing - crafting?

Have you changed anything about your life yet due to UK coronavirus?

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
    (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

To be honest all this press about Coronavirus is a bit over the top. I'm not worried about it at all. There's nothing you can take for it, all you can do is self isolate which is what you'd do with the flu etc. As for how many people have died from it in the same timeframe have a look at how many people have died from Cancer, heart attacks, diabetes and suicides. People will kill more people than this virus ever will, even wildlife will kill more. At least it's a change on the news from brexit, trump, Prince Harry etc.

Comment

I’m just aware of not being in very close proximity of people and making sure I use hand gel in public, outside of that, nothing out of the ordinary. Those in les than best health need to be more careful. I guess more crafting gets done the less they have to go to work....nothing else to do 🤷🏻‍♂️

Dave.

Comment

More crafting does get done I have been making like mad. Do worry though as I have asthma and a kidney that at times is in failure. DH also has health problems.

Comment

Originally posted by glenwood View Post
          To be honest all this press about Coronavirus is a bit over the top. I'm not worried about it at all.
          Coronavirus has already hit all my work, prices have gone up on so many products to try and manage shock which is low or run out. I'm pretty shocked how little coverage the news has on how small businesses are being effected.

Stuff ordered in November due in Feb will hopefully be delivered in June some 3-4months late. It's been crazy.. I think soon you'll notice stuff you normally buy missing until June. Of course, it's a great opportunity to buy local and make and do crafts for stuff you can't buy.

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
          (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

I also have an issue with ordering almost half of my regular buys! I wasn't aware that coronavirus may affect also something so not-related to health like crafts. We live in a global economy indeed...
            Last edited by 3dDave; 09-03-2020, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EdwardMidgett1989 View Post
              I also have an issue with ordering almost half of my regular buys! I wasn't aware that coronavirus may affect also something so not-related to health like crafts. We live in a global economy indeed...
              Hi, we’ve deleted your link from within the post, please read our forum rules section.

Many thanks.
              Dave, Moderator.

Comment

Factories shutting down in China is already affecting the clothing industry, autumn/winter stocks which would be produced now are on hold with some factories making face masks instead !!! Christmas will be hit too, all the far east decorations and toot may not be produced at all, be late or much less of it available in time.

I see it as an opportunity for us as makers, especially in the run up to Christmas to make more stocks, if we don't need it it's there for next year. What may affect us more is whether the public will want to attend crowded events to buy from us as they are our main source of income. We have assumed that trade will not be as good as last year anyway and we just have to ride the storm if there is one. Maybe make more of our online presence which is sadly lacking at the moment especially for the silly season if the perceived viral threat is still with us. Also think the Brexit situation will hit us more this year than last as it's actually going to happen, we can see it on the high street now.

Mo.XX

Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
                www.bodrighy.co.uk
                https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Prices have gone up on so many products, so no. It is bad for the economy in general, so crafts also have problems. I also have problems not only with my craft business but also with currency trading. And many people have exactly the same problems. You can read about them. But it is also a good opportunity to earn some money if you know how to operate at fx or crafts market.
                  Last edited by 3dDave; 03-04-2020, 08:25 AM.

Comment

The crafting world has collapsed in the Coronovirus crisis. All the big shows, festivals and markets have been cancelled. The galleries, gift shops and tourist attractions are shut. The post offices for sending your online orders are closed much of the time.
                    You can't do any tuition or demonstating and teaching etc due to the restrictions. You can't get any supplies in because the suppliers are shut down.
                    Things were bad enough before all this amidst the retail collapse, the flooding and a host of other problems such as the housing crisis and changing trends etc. I fear it will be the final nail in the coffin for many crafting businesses but it can be an opportunity just as the foot and mouth criisis was 20 years ago when lots of things were shut down. We have more time now. You learn to adapt, try new things and it is possible to survive and be stronger.

Comment

In my opinion, crafting has begun to surface where I live. I'm a dental hygienist, so I was sent home for five weeks along with most people, and I was busy making masks and surgical caps. I know a ton of companies that are shut down until September, so this has provided many folks with a lot of down time. I have spoken to several people who are dusting off their sewing machines and finding a new love for crafting. It's a shame that craft shows are being cancelled and postponed, but hopefully the craft community will continue to grow and become closer than ever. I'm sad to say that we have had a few crafting shops close down around here due to COVID-19, but we have also had a surge of curbside pick up and online orders which has saved many small crafting businesses. People are becoming more and more excited to create their own things

This inspired me to create a crafting blog, so I have been busier than ever with that. I have been busier than ever lately creating new things and channeling my inner creativity.

Comment

Working...
                      X