Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brain picking!

Hi

Do you think that people who go to craft fairs expect to pay more less for goods? I have been thinking about this for a while as I have a craft fair coming up in June and I'm wondering which way to go with pricing.

Any thoughts?

Sharon

Facebook - Silly Old Bear Crafts

Folksy - www.folksy.com/shops/SillyOldBear
    Blog - www.sillyoldbearcrafts.blogspot.com
    Website - www.kidsnewcastle.co.uk

Hello,

I think it can be really mixed. In my experience, people have wanted to pay less than you would sometimes like for your things. I sold a painting which the guy literally haggled over! But I was still pleased to sell it!

I think some people are out to get a bargain which can be a bit annoying if you're a crafter, they don't always realise the hard work you've put in and treat it more like a car boot sale.

But others still see price as a reflection of the quality - so are happy to pay more if they think it's a unique craft piece.

Sorry this probably isn't too helpful - just set your prices at a level you'll be happy with. You don't want to sell yourself short or price yourself out of the market.

Helen x

Visit my blog!
    http://peggycrafts.blogspot.com/

www.peggycrafts.co.uk

Etsy shop:
    www.peggycrafts.etsy.com

Comment

Like Helen has said above, craft fairs can be mixed and it really depends on the type of venue as to what people are prepared to pay for your items.

I always make sure that I include "pocket money" items on my stall as children are more likely to buy two or three smaller things than just one, plus they then go and tell their friends who come over and buy (at least in my experiences they do).
      Emma

Comment

Yes, I agree with the two girls. I wrote a post recently about my first craft fair. I think overall that people feel they should pay less than shop bought items because they are hand made. It is illogical but I think that is what is at the back of peoples minds. I think a lot of it is luck on the day - it depends what sort of crowd you get in. Loads of people said how beautiful my cards were but didn't buy!! One woman said she thought they were too dear, another thought they were below price. It seems you can't win!!!!I am just plodding on ready for my next fair. No , not plodding because I love making the cards but I have made a lot of Xmas cards which I term as 'simple' to what I usually do. I thought I would churn them out and keep the price very low and see what happens then!!!!! Hope your first one goes well. I really enjoyed myself on the day even though people weren't buying!! Good luck, Sue xx
        http://susieQinblogland.blogspot.com

Comment

Keep your prices so you make a profit. At least enough to cover costs. Every fair is different and so are the people.
          Cards tend to do well and I personally end up spending my profits on the card stand .

They card people on here will probably give you better advice but wishing you the best of luck with your fair.

Cheers Janice
          www.freewebs.com/clipclophorseshoes

Comment

Speaking as someone who makes a living from our goods, I can tell where to pitch my prices after about a hour at most venues, and then ajust them to suit. It does vary massively. At my units on Bury market we price alittle below our top price, the regulars know that we will always knock them a bit off this. But the problem there is that we get a lot of tourists and depending where they are from we are too cheap or too dear! there is no easy answer just watch their reactions to your goods and be ready to jump. If they think your too dear then say with a smile "you can always haggle about the price, I might supprise you" If they think your too cheap then give them a reason- your skint/ having a sale/ one of my best "I steal it all so thats why I can sell so cheap" it get a good laugh out of them, and people tend to buy when they are happy.
            Just remember, to sell to the public you have to establish a connection with them

Comment

I have only been doing fairs for a year, but I have done quite a few, and with most of them I have found that people expect things to be cheaper. Some people don't seem to realise that the stuff is handmade!.

I also did a country show last year and that was just the opposite - people were commenting on how reasonable things were!!.

I think it is just a balance of making sure you work out what a piece actually costs you to make and then work out a profit that you are happy with.
              by Nicki
              www.bynicki.co.uk

Home Decorations & Gifts with Country Style

Comment

Thanks for all your comments.
                Sharon

Facebook - Silly Old Bear Crafts

Folksy - www.folksy.com/shops/SillyOldBear
                Blog - www.sillyoldbearcrafts.blogspot.com
                Website - www.kidsnewcastle.co.uk

Comment

As well as doing a range of items that children can afford, I also do 'special offers' eg 3 for the price of 2, people like a bargain!
                  Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

All of the above comments are sound advice. Be sure to cost your time, I think this is the hardest part but essential. Pricing definitely is affected by venue as the people attending will vary from those just after a cheap bbargain to those who appreciate your hard work. good luck.
                    www.littlebead.blogspot.com
                    www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

Working...
                    X