Making Cherry Vodka or Brandy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Cherry Vodka or Brandy

The cherry tree in our garden is full of lovely ripe cherries but as they aren't sweet hubby had the idea of making cherry vodka with them. I'd prefer cherry brandy but it doesn't matter at the moment as I have no idea how to make either.

Can anyone provide me with a idiots guide on how to do it please?
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Not a clue but sounds truly yummy. I used to make what passed for wine but very 'hit and miss'. i.e. boil up fruit, strain off liquid, use fruit for pies and liquid for wine. Throw in some sugar, make sure its dissolved, let it cool to room temp then pop in some dried yeast, put in a demijohn with a air lock stopper and file until needed. Of course one has to be very clean and hygenic around it as the least little fly can turn it into vinegar. It usually worked for me but then I am def. noconnoisseur where booze is concerned. lol.
    P.S. I an talking half a century ago or nearly. I was not suggesting you try it my way, far too risky. Have fun with it though.
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

My OH does stuff with vodka. All she does is put the fruit in a jar and pour vodka over it and leave it, just give a little shake onec a week and come Xmas try the results hic
      Twitter:johnbaitken
      Facebook:John Boyne-Aitken

Comment

Cherry vodka. Half fill a kilner or similar jar with the stoned cherries and cover with castor sugar shaking it down through the cherries. ( about 250gms ) You may need more or less depending on preference and sweetness of cherries. Cover with vodka, seal the top and shake well. Give it a shake every day for a couple of weeks then leave to brew. You can drink after about a month but it keeps well. You can check for sweetness and add more sugar if needed at any time but allow extra brewing time after the addition.

I think you can do the same thing with brandy and we have made blackberry whisky in the same way. Also made blackberry vodka which is yummy and apricot and raison.

Happy brewing.

Mo.XX
        Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
        Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
        www.bodrighy.co.uk
        https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Thank you all, will definitely need sugar as the cherries are very tart. Do they have to be stoned? Is the idea that the cherries disolve into the vodka completely or do you need to strain it all before bottling up when it's brewed (lazy me is thinking if it needs straining maybe I don't need to stone them)?

Good to hear I don't need to buy anything special except a kilner jar.

Comment

If you put "cherry vodka recipe" into a browser any number of options come up. This is the first one I found:
            http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6525/cherry-vodka

There's a cherry brandy and a cherry vodka recipe on this site.
            http://www.fruitliqueurs.co.uk/index...-old-favorite/

There are also a lot of other fruit +alcohol recipes on this site - I've bookmarked it for future use!

Linda

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
              Thank you all, will definitely need sugar as the cherries are very tart. Do they have to be stoned? Is the idea that the cherries disolve into the vodka completely or do you need to strain it all before bottling up when it's brewed (lazy me is thinking if it needs straining maybe I don't need to stone them)?

Good to hear I don't need to buy anything special except a kilner jar.
              Netty the stones can be bitter so stone them first. They don't disolve and you strain them off when it's to your taste. Don't throw the cherries away they make a scrummy dessert with icecream or cream on top or mixed into an Eton Mess or crumble. Keep for ages in a jar in the fridge too.

You can brew in any jar you have that has a tight fitting lid so when you shake it you don't spill some of the delicious liquid ! A glass jar is easier to see when the sugar has disolved completely.

Mo.XX

PS always get my kilner jars from charity shops, cheapest.
              Last edited by MornieG Jewellery; 06-07-2015, 03:50 PM.
              Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
              Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
              www.bodrighy.co.uk

Comment

Great sites Linda.

Mo.XX
                Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                www.bodrighy.co.uk

Comment

I am now tempted with blackberry vodka as our brambles are laden with flowers and so I expect a reasonable crop of blackberries.....
                  View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Originally posted by indri View Post
                    I am now tempted with blackberry vodka as our brambles are laden with flowers and so I expect a reasonable crop of blackberries.....
                    Ours too. I'm not a fan of whisky but blackberry whisky is sooooo good. Don't have to have the finest quality Lidl's finest is good enough. ( Other fine brands are available too from your local store ) Don't forget the sloe gin, plenty of sugar to make a lovely sweet concoction. Oh and the very best of all Lemoncello.

Mo.XX
                    Last edited by MornieG Jewellery; 06-07-2015, 05:42 PM. Reason: Tiddly fingers !!
                    Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                    www.bodrighy.co.uk

Comment

Do they have to be stoned?
                      Who cares??hic! hic!
                      Twitter:johnbaitken
                      Facebook:John Boyne-Aitken

Comment

Originally posted by MornieG Jewellery View Post
                        Ours too. I'm not a fan of whisky but blackberry whisky is sooooo good. Don't have to have the finest quality Lidl's finest is good enough. ( Other fine brands are available too from your local store ) Don't forget the sloe gin, plenty of sugar to make a lovely sweet concoction. Oh and the very best of all Lemoncello.

Mo.XX
                        Yummmmmmm... I'm going to have to get some kilner jars in to give it all a go!
                        View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Just thought I'd do a little update on this thread. I have 2 kilner jars of cherries, vodka and sugar sitting in the kitchen cupboard and I'm planning on leaving them until xmas before trying it - could be either a very merry or very disappointing Christmas depending on how they turn out.

Took the lazy option of leaving the stones in as I just couldn't face stoning about 500 cherries without needing to consume the vodka first.

Thanks all for the advice and I'll let you know at Christmas how they turned out

Comment

I have a load of blackberries in my freezer that i will deal with in a week or 2. We are planning on getting alcoholic here too! Still loadswaiting on the brambles to get ripe!
                            View my flickr

Comment

Do you chuck the blackberries in whole or "Crack" them a bit first?

Dave.

Comment

Working...
                              X