Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding Cake Woes

Hi all,

My brother has asked my girlfriend and I if we'd like to bake him some cakes for his wedding this September. Now we haven't had all that much experience of baking but we do really enjoy it.

It's not a huge wedding - there's going to be about 70 - 80 people there. As we've never baked a wedding cake we thought it might be best to do a whole load of cupcakes and present them nicely. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what they could look like or how they could be presented that they could share with us.
    My handmade magnetic tin sets for sale - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262087356731

Here are some ideas for you to peruse

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cu...O&ved=0CCYQsAQ

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Thank you Jane. My girlfriend is keen to do a cupcake big wheel. I'm not so sure!

Comment

There are ferris wheels for displaying cupcakes in wilkinsons http://www.wilko.com/cake-cases-tins...d/invt/0408175 it only holds 8 cakes though. Unless you make or know someone to make one bigger, but you'd need to check the dimensions of the space available for cake at the venue because even this big one only holds 26, and you'd need at least 80 cakes, and you'd have to think what to do with the 50 cakes that don't fit.

View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Originally posted by indri View Post
          There are ferris wheels for displaying cupcakes in wilkinsons http://www.wilko.com/cake-cases-tins...d/invt/0408175 it only holds 8 cakes though. Unless you make or know someone to make one bigger, but you'd need to check the dimensions of the space available for cake at the venue because even this big one only holds 26, and you'd need at least 80 cakes, and you'd have to think what to do with the 50 cakes that don't fit.

I'd hide under the table and try to eat them!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by TheTinMan View Post
            Hi all,

My brother has asked my girlfriend and I if we'd like to bake him some cakes for his wedding this September. Now we haven't had all that much experience of baking but we do really enjoy it.

It's not a huge wedding - there's going to be about 70 - 80 people there. As we've never baked a wedding cake we thought it might be best to do a whole load of cupcakes and present them nicely. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what they could look like or how they could be presented that they could share with us.
            I make wedding cakes so if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

As it's your brother's wedding, I am assuming that you will also be attending the wedding. Is the venue close to your home or will you need to travel some distance to it?

Firstly, my suggestion would be to keep things simple.

Cupcakes would need to be made and decorated within the two days prior to the wedding day. That's a lot of last minute work and you'll need to make about 25% extra to ensure you have enough 'good looking' ones for the wedding, plus some spares to take along. It's easy to squash / drop them when you're displaying them at the venue.

Larger cakes are easier as you can make them up to 4 days before the wedding. They will need to be covered in sugar paste (ready to roll icing, sometimes called fondant icing) the day after you've made them but once covered they'll keep fresh for the big day.

Decoration for sponge cakes and cupcakes needs to be fairly minimal and it will help if you can prepare the decorations in advance. Anything made of sugar will keep for at least 6 months. Anything inedible (e.g. models from polymer clay or silk flowers / ribbon etc.) need to be removed prior to serving, I don't recommend non edible decorations are added to cupcakes.

Rich fruit cakes covered in marzipan and icing are less stressful as they can be made many months in advance. Though this is a more expensive option and a lot of people prefer sponge cake.

If you're planning on stacking cakes on top of each other, you'll need to insert plastic cake dowels into the layers to support the cake above. Each layer is placed on a thin cake board.

Finally, under no circumstances should you attempt a 'naked wedding cake' (google it) as it's all last minute and has to be assembled at the venue.
            Carol
            Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
            Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Comment

For anyone that is interested in how this all turned out in the end I have a couple of pictures for you.

We decided not to make cupcakes as it turned out that there were already a couple of people that were going to do that and we wanted to try something a little different. We came up with the idea to make soft, chewy gingerbread, one of our favourite things.

We also (very wrongly) thought that these would be easier to make than cupcakes!

So we chose to make the gingerbread in the shapes of my brother and his bride's favourite hobbies - cycling, reading and dancing, we also decided to throw in some heart shapes to signify how very much in love they were! I found some suitable cookie cutters online and found a recipe.

It was fairly simple to make the dough but an absolute nightmare to cut the shapes out as they were very intricate and included embossed details that absolutely refused to fall easily out of the cutters. I eventually came up with a method that got the job done which involved heavily flouring the cutters and rolling and cutting the shapes out directly on the baking parchment and then transferring to the baking tray for cooking. It was virtually impossible to cut the shapes out and then lift them onto the baking paper without warping the shapes completely.

We decided to ice our gingerbread with sugar paste and used edible pens for the finer details like the bicycle spokes and writing in the books. The letters on the hearts are made from royal icing and there is a bit of edible shimmer thrown in for good measure.

All in all we were very pleased with how they turned out and they went down a storm at the wedding. Especially with the younger children that were there. Every single one was eaten and we got a number of nice comments too.

gingerbread_wip.jpg gingerbread.jpg
              Last edited by TheTinMan; 13-09-2015, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Pictures not come out tinny, might help if you put them in an album on your profile page and move them on from there. I never used to have much success just loading them straight on.

Dave.
                Last edited by 3dDave; 13-09-2015, 07:33 PM. Reason: Mis spelt my own name haha

Comment

Thanks Dave. Is that working better now?

Comment

Think they looked fabulous not surprised they all went.

Mo.XX
                    Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                    Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
                    www.bodrighy.co.uk
                    https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Originally posted by TheTinMan View Post
                      Thanks Dave. Is that working better now?
                      It is indeed Tinny, great job, Got the munchies now looking at that lot, I love gingerbread.

They look even better in your album..I'll up that to very well done..I'd have been in a right old lather hiding under the table to woof that lot haha.

Dave
                      Last edited by 3dDave; 13-09-2015, 11:14 PM.

Comment

They look great!
                        "If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." Roald Dahl

Comment

Those are fab! Now I want a bicycle cookie cutter
                          george
                          www.mizgeorge.co.uk
                          www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
                          www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Excellent solution - and obviously many others felt the same way as there was nothing left at the end of the event. Well done!

Linda

Comment

Wow, those look great. Will you make anything like this for the upcoming December holidays?

Comment

Working...
                              X