Biscuit dough to keep overnight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biscuit dough to keep overnight?

I'm not exactly Delia so apologies if this is a stupid question....

We're having a birthday tea for Alex on Sunday and I thought it would be fun for him to make some biscuits/cookies for it. I was thinking of making up the dough (probably not the right word but you get the idea) on Saturday night and keeping it in the fridge so all he has to do on Sunday morning is to help me roll it and then be let loose with his cookie cutters. Can I do this with any biscuit recipe or are there any that would spoil being kept that long before baking?
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

I think as long as it has cling film over it it will be fine. If you are making biscuits that need rolling out and cutting the dough then I suspect it should be fine overnight in the fridge
    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

It's fine to keep cookie / biscuit dough in the fridge and most recipes would benefit from allowing the dough to rest.

Wrap the ball of dough in clingfilm before placing it in the fridge.

In the 1960's and 1970's 'refrigerator biscuits' were popular. The dough was shaped into a cylinder, the diameter of which was the size of the biscuit, wrapped in foil, waxed paper or clingfilm and then chilled in the fridge. When biscuits were required, they'd be sliced off the roll and baked.
      Carol
      Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
      Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Comment

Thank you ladies Now you mention them I seem to remember refridgerator biscuits, I bet I made them with my mum when I was little.

Sorry another question now - I know we can decorate them after they've cooled but I wonder if there's any decoration we can do BEFORE putting them in the oven? Would a half glace cherry stay on if it was gently pressed into the biscuit dough? Are there any other decorations that would work that way?

Comment

Glace cherry should work fine, or maybe chocolate chips, raisins (though they might burn), smarties, angelica? make sure they get a firm press to prevent them falling off
          View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Cookie dough..overnight??....wouldn't last overnight in this house (Yum Yum Lol). I once polished off a complete tub of Betty Crockers chocolate icing while looking for the Kievs.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by indri View Post
              Glace cherry should work fine, or maybe chocolate chips, raisins (though they might burn), smarties, angelica? make sure they get a firm press to prevent them falling off
              Smarties or 'chocolate beans' as he calls them wouldn't make it to the biscuit as they are his absolute favourites and would go straight in his mouth I'm going to try a few glace cherries and have just bought some sugar butterflies that we'll have a go at sticking on after they've cooled.

Originally posted by 3dDave View Post
              I once polished off a complete tub of Betty Crockers chocolate icing while looking for the Kievs.
              I've been known to steal Alex's Smarties once he's gone to bed but even I couldn't manage a pot of chocolate icing neat Heck I struggle to eat one of those cupcakes that are half icing as they are so rich so am very impressed with your abilities

Comment

If you are doing enough to create more than one batch for the oven then I usually find with Rhiannon that by the time she has finished cutting out pastry or biscuit shapes the first batch have cooled enough to add icing.
                View my flickr

Comment

Oh and have you done icing with a toddler before? You'll need it to be not to runny or it just goes everywhere because it dribbles off the spoon to well, and it also takes longer to dry and the decorations move around too much in the flow of the icing. I try to make mine on the thicker side if Rhiannon's doing the decorating.
                  View my flickr

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
                    Smarties or 'chocolate beans' as he calls them wouldn't make it to the biscuit as they are his absolute favourites and would go straight in his mouth I'm going to try a few glace cherries and have just bought some sugar butterflies that we'll have a go at sticking on after they've cooled.

I've been known to steal Alex's Smarties once he's gone to bed but even I couldn't manage a pot of chocolate icing neat Heck I struggle to eat one of those cupcakes that are half icing as they are so rich so am very impressed with your abilities
                    My stepdaughter, when her dog was a little bit older than a pup came round to ours and she was feeding it a few chocolate buttons, that damned dog was eating more than it's fair share)....so I told her that chocolate kills dogs....(granted, it isn't the best thing for them)...Aww.. now come on guys, don't be like that..I'd fight a pitbull or two for a Galaxy..I might end up ripped to shreds but I would bet hard cash that I'd end up with the chocolate.

Dave.
                    Last edited by 3dDave; 27-06-2014, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Well dough was made last night and is happily sat in the fridge (wrapped in cling film) waiting for the biscuit making to commence later this morning. Indri I'm going to cheat a bit with the icing, I've got an icing pen so will just use it like glue and dab a bit on each biscuit for Alex to place the sugar butterflies on top of.

Will post photos of our creations later

Comment

Here's the photos from our biscuit making, he did seem more interested in eating the dough and the decorations but a handful of the biscuits were cut out by him (and very quickly moved to the baking tray by me before he could grab them) and quite a few had the butterfly decorations added by him....and nearly as many had the decoration removed and eaten too

It was fun though

Comment

Looks like he loved it and the biscuits look quite tasty. More baking sessions required!
                          View my flickr

Comment

The biscuits were really tasty, I think DH was quite suprised by that. The recipe made far more than we'd ever manage to eat so I think next time I'll freeze half of the mixture (if it won't spoil it?) so we'll get 2 baking sessions out of it.

Comment

My mum always freezes homemade pastry, I can only assume biscuit dough will freeze just as well.
                              View my flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X